Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 09:14 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I read what the English teacher said..that if she asked her students to copy passages from the Bible she would be fired.

And that's probably the truth.

But this..the school district backed up the teacher.
Why that phrase in particular ? Interesting as it's the first step in converting to Islam.
The next line to be copied: "Death to all infidels"

Old 12-17-2015, 09:29 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Then what is the difference that non-Muslims are being insulted at their children learning to write the Shahadah?
The difference is that other religions don't put a price on an authors head for writing a book, or call the death of someone for writing a cartoon, or blow up a newspaper office, all in revenge for being insulted.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:32 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Why do you want folks to be ignorant? Schools should teach all religions from an academic point of view because it is just history.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:32 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
The point is....stop all this offense business and learn to appreciate each other in the 21st century!
Yup.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:35 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Why do you want folks to be ignorant? Schools should teach all religions from an academic point of view because it is just history.
So Arabic calligraphy they learn, multiplication they somehow don't...that's not still ignorance?

Old 12-17-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
With all due respect, I am SO tired of hearing about how easily Muslims get insulted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Then what is the difference that non-Muslims are being insulted at their children learning to write the Shahadah?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
The difference is that other religions don't put a price on an authors head for writing a book, or call the death of someone for writing a cartoon, or blow up a newspaper office, all in revenge for being insulted.
I should add to the first post,'I am SO tired of hearing about how easily Muslims get insulted'..."in light of the threats , violence and death that follows when some Islamic groups react to perceived insult.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
So Arabic calligraphy they learn, multiplication they somehow don't...that's not still ignorance?
Along with NOT learning basic grammar, writing, spelling and simple U.S. history.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:59 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
L.I. Woodrow, it appears that as our resident Muslim, you are going to get the heat for all the wrongs taking place across the globe. You'll even be schooled if you say the same thing the rest of us are saying. How dare you agree!

I'm embarrassed by my fellow Christian posters here. You were attempting to clarify something and the end result has been a lot of venom.

And at Christmas, no less.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:13 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
What is the point in learning that calligraphy anyway? It looks extremely difficult and unless one is a Muslim, there's no real purpose to learning it. There's learning about the major world religions, then there's having students write anything in the language or any otherwise special written word. Are the kids also writing in Hebrew and learning to read and write right to left? I don't see why learning about religion has to get this hands on.

This is something that Muslim children should be learning privately at home or otherwise on their own religiously, not all children in a public school IMO. I don't expect students to be learning Latin to read Christian passages or learning to write in Hebrew when learning about Judaism (which is also extremely difficult).

Showing a copy of the Koran, okay, showing how a Muslim woman would wear a headscarf and asking if anyone wants to try, okay, but why this calligraphy?

Old 12-17-2015, 10:21 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
There's something wrong with this, too, though:

"Herndon, who is a devout Christian, accused the teacher of indoctrinating unsuspecting students into the Islamic faith. The mother has not sent her son back to school since the incident and said she would be willing to take this case all the way to the US Supreme Court if she must.

'She [LaPorte] gave up the Lord's time,' Herndon said of the religious lesson when speaking to the Staunton News Leader. 'She gave it up and gave it to Mohammed.'"

There is no "Lord's time" in public school. Unless this is a Catholic or otherwise Christian school, you need to keep YOUR religion out of it, too, lady. I don't think some people realize how hypocritical they are.

I don't think there was any "indoctrinating" going on at all (I'm going to assume someone named "LaPorte" is not a Muslim and has no reason to attempt to convert children in her class); however I do wonder why learning this difficult calligraphy is necessary. I find it completely useless. They can learn more about the headscarf and Koran itself than they can in having to copy the calligraphy. Unless they convert to Islam at some point in life, they will never need to use that calligraphy ever again, however, it is helpful to understand the customs such as the headscarf, because we do have Muslim women living here in the US.

Oh goody, I found more: "I will not have my children sit under a woman who indoctrinates them with the Islam religion when I am a Christian, and I'm going to stand behind Christ."

So send your kid to a private Christian school, then, if you want to "stand behind Christ." What about the kids who aren't Christian or aren't very religious at all? So because this mother is offended that kids are learning about Islam, what she calls "indoctrinating," everyone else who isn't devoted to Christ as equally as she is also needs to not learn about it, too? Come on. People take things too far. There's so much craziness in the world today, and even right here in this country. There's a reason I call some people "Jesus freaks," even as a Catholic/Christian myself. She seems like one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies