Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 09:48 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Here is another article on this from the NY Daily News for those of you who call the Daily Mail a rag and pretend this misbehavior by school officials never happened.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2468683
What "misbehavior" by school officials?

And what do you think that article tells us that we didn't already know?

Old 12-18-2015, 09:48 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
1. 'The students were presented with the statement to demonstrate the complex artistry of the written language used in the Middle East, and were asked to attempt to copy it in order to give the students an idea of the artistic complexity of the calligraphy,’ Dr Bond stated. Bond added that students at Riverheads will be given similar assignments when they study about China and Africa.[LEFT][color=#000000]That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Were they being "indoctrinated" into communism when they learned about China? When they studied Kenya (the country our president is supposed to be from) was it noted that 82% of Kenyans identify as Christian?
Did they have to copy any lines from Mao's "Little Red Book?"

Quote:
2. OP, you do know, don't you, that the Daily Mail is a British newspaper and when they are talking about something that happened in the U.S. it's always some outlier story designed to make Americans look the idiots we sometimes are.
Well, at least CNN has made a major story of it now. Unfortunately, the school received threats that forced them to close all the schools in the district...so maybe Americans are the idiots the Daily Mail is making us appear to be.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I guess you haven't seen the news.
"Shut down the whole school system"? Then share a link please. Wild claim for no one else to mention it in this whole thread.
Edit: This must have just happened today.

Edit again: Yup. Excuse me for having an extremely busy day, unusually so for me.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:50 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, at least CNN has made a major story of it now. Unfortunately, the school received threats that forced them to close all the schools in the district...so maybe Americans are the idiots the Daily Mail is making us appear to be.
Bingo.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
"Shut down the whole school system"? Then share a link please. Wild claim for no one else to mention it in this whole thread.
Edit: This must have just happened today.
Yes.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I usually check the news multiple times a day. I had such a crazy day (largely without my phone) that I didn't even check it once. Very weird for me.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:00 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Like I said, this statement implies the existence of more than one God, which runs counter to the beliefs of Christianity, Judaism and Islam. Do you realize the paradoxical nature of your statement?

If you're curious to know my own stance, I don't believe in any of these three religions. As an outsider, I find this sparring very quaint, very immature, and highly illogical.
It seems that the religions which most vehemently deny the existence of more than one God, are also the most likely to accuse other religions of believing in the "wrong God", which to me is the absolute epitome of illogical. There either is or isn't a God.
I didn't state anything.

I wasn't curious but since you went there:

As an outsider to all 3, of course you can't grasp the reasons why the Muslim god isn't the Christian or Jewish God.

As someone who doesn't care (me) about the issue, in the least:

It really isn't hard to understand why the "insiders" deny that the Muslim god is not the Christian or Jewish God.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I usually check the news multiple times a day. I had such a crazy day (largely without my phone) that I didn't even check it once. Very weird for me.
No worries. Me too. I will just be glad when the holidays are over.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:13 PM

Deeper down the rabbit hole:

UPDATED: Valley Public School Students Led in Prayer at Mandatory Event

Valley Public School Students Led in Prayer at Mandatory Event

Quote:
Superintendent Dr. Eric Bond said in a statement sent to WHSV:

"A community member was invited to participate and deliver an invocation during the ground-breaking ceremony for the new Cassell Elementary School. She is not an employee of the Augusta County School Board. Neither the principal nor Dr. Bond directed the speaker to deliver a sectarian message and they were not provided an advance copy of her remarks for review. The principal and Dr. Bond were not aware before the event began that this invited community member planned to deliver a sectarian message."

Public school students from Cassell Elementary School were led in prayer at a mandatory school event Wednesday afternoon.

The prayer was part of a ground breaking for the new elementary school.

During the prayer, the speaker said, "This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us be glad and rejoice."

According to the Virginia State Board of Education, "It is firmly settled in the law that the Establishment Clause forbids school-sponsored prayer or religious indoctrination, as well as any school initiative designed to endorse prayer generally or sponsor a particular religious viewpoint."

This prayer follows another controversy in Augusta County Public Schools. Some parents in the community are voicing their concerns over a geography assignment about religion that asked students to transcribe calligraphy involving the creed of a non-Christian faith.

We're working to get a comment from school leaders on Wednesday's prayer. We'll post an update here as soon as we have new information.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:28 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Augusta County is very pretty and very Bible-beltish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies