Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 03:30 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Anyone doing the same job for the same company should be paid the same. Why would you pay a woman less than a man if she is doing the same thing?
You have to add the experience and time working in the company as a factor.

Someone making widgets for a week should be paid less than those doing tha for eight years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 03:30 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And that's what we are discussing here. If different talents or skills result in better or worse work, should equal jobs pay equally?

Wrong! Look at the OP.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Wrong! Look at the OP.
If I'm paying you too dig a hole and you can dig 1 ton of dirt an hour and the woman next to you can dig 2 tons should I pay you the same?

Old 12-19-2015, 04:59 PM

188 posts, read 103,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Krab View Post
Should men and women be paid the same by their employer if they have the same duties in a company?
It is not as simple as that. Having the same duties and performing at the same level are totally different. So, no, I don't support such a simplistic approach.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:26 PM

991 posts, read 628,940 times
True story:

I was the second officer on a flight from Miami to Lax.

We hit a micreo burst, mid flight.

The carrier (727) went into a nose dive.
My captain, a woman could not push the rudder control peddles hard enough to control the spin of the aircraft.

The first problem with the nosedive is the uncontrollable spin, right or left.

You HAVE to recover from the spin before you can control the dive!

I was able to control the rudders and take us out of the spin.

The lady took over from there.

Your assessment?

Old 12-19-2015, 06:50 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If I'm paying you too dig a hole and you can dig 1 ton of dirt an hour and the woman next to you can dig 2 tons should I pay you the same?
yes, because she going burn herself out in three hours, steady pace, she going be worthless the next five hours

Old 12-19-2015, 06:51 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Should a Brick layer who can lay 50% more brick than another Mason earn more money?
Or if half his work had to be redone would that also warrant more money ?

Same job and same skill level.
mason get paid by the brick not by the hours so it is the same pay.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:23 PM

639 posts, read 579,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I support the right of individuals to negotiate employment terms without government interference.
I agree, but that's not really the question. if a company shows a pattern of paying women less for equal performance they better be ready for the back lash, whether that be loss of best employee's, public shame, loss of business, possible lawsuits, or anything else you can imagine.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:52 PM

188 posts, read 103,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
I agree, but that's not really the question. if a company shows a pattern of paying women less for equal performance they better be ready for the back lash, whether that be loss of best employee's, public shame, loss of business, possible lawsuits, or anything else you can imagine.
Perhaps they should give up things like alimony before they become so absolutist in one area, and not others. Men's employment is mandatory, the breadwinner, society demands it. Women's employment is quite often, not always, to be sure, but quite often, icing on the cake. Financially, men are held to a much higher standard than women, and unless and until that changes, preference for Men's employment over Women's will remain a fact of life, and properly so.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:36 PM

991 posts, read 628,940 times
Not surprised, no answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies