Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 08:06 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
In response to pedromartinez.

universities admit more out of state and foreign students than instate because they pay full tuition. They also recruit athletes, mostly football players, because that also brings on a lot of money. They are not always the best students. Universities build fancy dorms and stadiums and only rich students can afford these instead of class rooms and departments. They hire managers to manage all these financial businesses instead of doing what they should - provide sound education. If free tuition is offered these things will not be a factor and there would be enough seats , enough class rooms, enough faculty, for anyone who wants to and qualify for admission. Why are these facts not part of your data? You can see now that data alone can lead you astray. You need a clearer understanding of how things work.
It's not part of my data because its nonsensical tripe.

I see you have absolutely no understanding of how things work.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:10 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's not part of my data because its nonsensical tripe.

I see you have absolutely no understanding of how things work.
really? i just read in today's newspaper the the University of Maine is offering instate tuition to out of state students. U Mass is thinking of following. why do you think they are doing this if they have no more seats to offer willing students? they are also building more dorms to accommodate the numbers they hope will come.
Maybe you need to understand, and more importantly, interpret the data against what is happening in the wide world, not just the small internet world you live in.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
really? i just read in today's newspaper the the University of Maine is offering instate tuition to out of state students. U Mass is thinking of following. why do you think they are doing this if they have no more seats to offer willing students? they are also building more dorms to accommodate the numbers they hope will come.
Maybe you need to understand, and more importantly, interpret the data against what is happening in the wide world, not just the small internet world you live in.
Building dorms, adding classrooms and increasing staff allows for more students to attend.

The idea that making a limited resource free increases the availability of that resource shows a complete lack of logic.

If there is a hotel with 100 rooms that are booked every single night at $200 per night, do you really think saying people can stay there for free will make more rooms available?

Old 12-23-2015, 08:22 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Building dorms, adding classrooms and increasing staff allows for more students to attend.

The idea that making a resource free increases the availability of that resource shows a complete lack of logic.
now you have lost the point of these posts. you claimed there are no seats to accommodate all those students who will apply if free tuition is offered. that is a false argument. there are plenty of seats available for any student who seeks a college education. free tuition is not a zero sum game. there is room for everyone who is willing to work hard. the fact that university of maine is attracting out of state students with resident tuition makes a lie out of your supposed data. this means they have more seats than students and they are looking to expand. this is what will happen when students are allowe with free tuition, space will expand to accommodate more.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
A huge fraction of poor white Americans vote against their economic self-interest and vote Republican. The Republicans win them over on fringe issues that simply don't matter in the grand scheme of things. Gun control. Abortion rights. Flag burning. Immigration. School prayer. Pledge of Alliegence in public schools. Meanwhile, the wealthy who control the party offshore their jobs, allow H1B visa people in to displace American employees, and keep taxes on the wealthy lowest in the first world by opposing anything that would benefit the white working poor. It's brilliant political strategy. There aren't enough affluent people to vote in the Republican agenda so they sucker stupid poor white people to vote for them with these fringe issues.

I'm affluent. I paid over $50k in Federal income taxes in 2014 and I'll be doing the same in 2015. Compared to any other first world country, my 24% effective tax rate is absurdly low. A 5%er in any other first world country would be paying about half. I'm happy to put the money in my pocket but I realize how the system is rigged against poor white people.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
now you have lost the point of these posts. you claimed there are no seats to accommodate all those students who will apply if free tuition is offered. that is a false argument. there are plenty of seats available for any student who seeks a college education. free tuition is not a zero sum game. there is room for everyone who is willing to work hard. the fact that university of maine is attracting out of state students with resident tuition makes a lie out of your supposed data. this means they have more seats than students and they are looking to expand. this is what will happen when students are allowe with free tuition, space will expand to accommodate more.
Would that be the University of Maine which only admitted 81.1% of those who applied? - UMaine Acceptance Rate & Average GPA | AcceptanceRate.com

Answer me this, why do you believe they only admitted 81.1% of those who applied and not everyone who applied?

Old 12-23-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A huge fraction of poor white Americans vote against their economic self-interest and vote Republican.
IMHO, that's better than the huge number of people who vote for "what are they going to give me" when they look for that D.

Quote:
I'm affluent. I paid over $50k in Federal income taxes in 2014 and I'll be doing the same in 2015. Compared to any other first world country, my 24% effective tax rate is absurdly low. A 5%er in any other first world country would be paying about half. I'm happy to put the money in my pocket but I realize how the system is rigged against poor white people.
What prevents you from using that extra money you feel shouldn't be yours to help other people?

Is it the "well, if they don't have to give extra, I'm certainly not going to do so" attitude?

Old 12-23-2015, 09:56 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,975 times
Quote:
A huge fraction of poor white Americans vote against their economic self-interest and vote Republican. The Republicans win them over on fringe issues that simply don't matter in the grand scheme of things. Gun control. Abortion rights. Flag burning. Immigration. School prayer. Pledge of Alliegence in public schools. Meanwhile, the wealthy who control the party offshore their jobs, allow H1B visa people in to displace American employees, and keep taxes on the wealthy lowest in the first world by opposing anything that would benefit the white working poor. It's brilliant political strategy. There aren't enough affluent people to vote in the Republican agenda so they sucker stupid poor white people to vote for them with these fringe issues.

This attitude is summed up nicely by David Frum from an article in the Atlantic thusly;

"Remember that Republican voters care more about aligning government with their values of work and family than they care about cutting the size of government as an end in itself".

Old 12-23-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
This attitude is summed up nicely by David Frum from an article in the Atlantic thusly;

"Remember that Republican voters care more about aligning government with their values of work and family than they care about cutting the size of government as an end in itself".
This is true with both parties, which is the reason why we need to reduce the size and reach of government.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:11 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Its weird reading all of this, and seeing the same nonsense.

Folks, Obama does not control spending. He quite literally does not control the purse strings.

Currently Republicans have the majority in the House and Senate. They control spending.

The Democrats can only obstruct it, and if the Republicans want to they can use the nuclear option,and pass it anyways.

What are the Democrats doing to help the Va, SSI, blah blah blah.

Hello! They can't do anything, they dont have a majority, and Obama is not a dictator. Sheesh!

Did none of you study government in high school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies