Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 05:31 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
China's pollution issue cost them ~8% of their GDP in 2008 or ~ 360 billion USD. China also relies heavily on coal and lax environmental regulations.
Care to prove this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 05:32 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Haha. I live in NC and don't need to quote the UD to know how it's used.
Well obviously, that's not true, as you had no clue how it was used just a few posts up.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:38 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Wow... supposed 'free-market conservatives' demanding that we subsidize an industry that's being beat fair and square by cheaper and cleaner natural gas. With the excuse that at least people in said industry aren't "hood rats" (aka black people).

I wish I could say this surprised me. There's a reason Republicans cut education every chance they get.

Why should we subsidize and breathe pollution produced by a bunch of people who CHOOSE to live in an area that's been economically depressed for basically all of U.S. history?

At what point do those folks have a Personal Responsibility(TM) to move outta their daddy's trailer and go get a real job in the Big City like the rest of us?
It seems like the crowd that won't adjust to the new economy just wants to blame Obama for the natural results of their bullheaded behavior.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:38 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Well obviously, that's not true, as you had no clue how it was used just a few posts up.
You didn't answer question. What state do you live in?

Old 12-22-2015, 05:56 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Put the coal miners who are losing their jobs to work in the solar energy industry.

States like Florida, Arizona and others have so much sun, there is no reason that every building shouldn't have roof-top solar panels. 100 % free sustainable energy. It's crazy not to move in that direction, and putting up all those solar panels will keep former coal mine workers busy for decades and they won't be getting black lung disease either.

Other states that are really windy can go with wind power. It's crazy that we are not putting millions of unemployed people at work to make the U.S. truly energy independent. It's win/win.
The solar and wind energy companies are a bust. Most are either already out of business or soon will be. The whole clean energy thing is a boondoggle. The only way these businesses make money is to be subsidized by the government. We all saw how that worked with Solyndra. Wasteful spending and mismanagement on our dime costs us billions on these projects. Not to say that at some point it might become economically viable, but for right now, these forms of energy are a dirty and unprofitable JOKE.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:57 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Obama simultaneously forces electricity prices higher and wants the middle class to subsidize the leeches' energy use.

He's the scum of the earth.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:58 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
You didn't answer question. What state do you live in?
It may surprise you to learn that people can be educated about many things no matter where they live. Education truly is an amazing thing.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:59 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It is not President Obama's fault that the coal these people have been mining create serious environmental degradation when they are burned. This is also complicated by the observation that the huge coal mines in Wyoming produce lower sulfur coal at lower prices per unit of energy. Combining these results in a substantial decline in demand for Appalachian coal.

These folks are in a declining area because nobody wants the coal they can mine. They really need to find something else to do to earn a living or just move to where the jobs are. Unfortunately the industrialists are more likely to build a new factory in Asia instead of Appalachia and there are no extra jobs anywhere else.
There is a market for this coal and it is substantial. The government just won't allow it to be mined. Tons of it are shipped overseas every year and more could be if not for government interference.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:10 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Thanks for being honest... I guess...

Obama: Coal Miners Dislike Me And That’s ‘Perfectly Legitimate’
President Barack Obama said opposition to his policies by coal miners and people in Appalachia is “perfectly legitimate” during a Monday interview with National Public Radio.

“If you are living in a town that historically has relied on coal and you see coal jobs diminishing, you probably are going to be more susceptible to the argument that I’ve been wiping out the economy in your area,” Obama said during the interview. “If somebody tells you that this is because of Obama’s war on coal, well, you know, that’s an argument you may be sympathetic to. And that’s perfectly legitimate.”
That's an interesting statement to me. Kind of like - 'it is what it is'.

You are 'going to be more susceptible to the argument' ? He IS wiping out their economy. What kind of statement is that?

And then at the end of the article...
The Obama administration responded by offering a mere $14.5 million in federal funding for programs to retrain out-of-work coal miners, after imposing regulations that greatly hampered the American coal industry.
With regards to what is given to other groups, this is an insult - especially since he is in the process of wiping out their means to support themselves.
I'm NOT surprised at all!! They hate it that their longterm job is becoming defunct as time marches on..So it's easy to BLAME somebody....

It's so unfortunate really...as Fossil Fuel/Coal has been for over a century a lifetime profession for the workers..and Corporate controls/Investments has funded onerous Climate change results...

The worker's don't give a care..They want to work and provide...far different than what CORPORATE goals are!! IF not met..bye bye worker......no one but the worker suffer's..protectionism of Corporate/aka Capitalism trumps all..worker's are expendable!! Yes!!

Okay, why isn't the dying demand for COAL Corps actually supporting their worker's?? LOL sadly..because Profits is their bottomline!! Worker's who produced..mean nothing to them..only $$$$ counts!!

Old 12-22-2015, 06:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Care to prove this?
For at least the 2nd time... Keep up. I've posted it earlier in this thread. I can't make you read what I write and what I link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies