Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 01:30 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,060,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
What the hell else are you supposed to do with a toy gun as a 12 year old?

Cops are supposed to be able to control themselves and differentiate between what is a threat and what isn't. I wouldn't want Cops like that anywhere near my family, and I certainly wouldn't want to be paying their salary through my hard earned tax dollars.

Get rid of them!
How exactly is a police officer supposed to safely differentiate between a real threat and a toy gun when the toy gun has been altered to look like a real gun? It's not like 12 year olds haven't been caught with real guns in this country, it's not like people haven't been killed by kids with guns in public areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Black boys are considered adults at the age of 12. Great response when referring to him has Mr. Rice. Consequences When African-American Boys Are Seen As Older : NPR

Black parents have to follow the seen and unseen rules to protect their children. May not be fair, but it surely is our reality, so this hopefully will not happen again and a valuable lesson has been learned.
How is a valuable lesson supposed to be learned when those who should be teaching it are the ones you see on TV crying about how Rice was a great little boy who would never do anything wrong (except wave a gun at people in a public park of course)?

Old 12-28-2015, 01:35 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,963,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
How exactly is a police officer supposed to safely differentiate between a real threat and a toy gun when the toy gun has been altered to look like a real gun? It's not like 12 year olds haven't been caught with real guns in this country, it's not like people haven't been killed by kids with guns in public areas.
Nobody said it's an easy job, but we should have much higher standards for our Officers of the Law.

They are murdering unarmed Americans at record rates even though violent crime has been declining for decades. Obviously something is wrong, even if it is just a problem of extreme cowardice/fear in Police Departments across the country. There is a disconnect between Officers and the Communities they enforce, usually under war time circumstances (for the citizens).

Statistically, a Police Officer is not a dangerous job-it is more dangerous being a Bartender, yet still they shoot first, often murdering people that should not have even been brought into custody.

A lot needs to change in order for Police to be able to do their jobs most effectively. #1 is ending the horrible War on "Drugs". We must stop allowing and in some cases forcing Cops to enforce unjust laws.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:35 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,037,867 times
Quote:
What the hell else are you supposed to do with a toy gun as a 12 year old? Kids used to play Cops and Robbers/Jail Break all the time with toy guns. Oh well, guess that's over with since some people think Cops should be able to just murder children at free will.

Cops are supposed to be able to control themselves and differentiate between what is a threat and what isn't. I wouldn't want Cops like that anywhere near my family, and I certainly wouldn't want to be paying their salary through my hard earned tax dollars.

Get rid of them!
You seem to be grossly misinformed as to what can and can't be accomplished with training. Determining at a distances that an altered toy gun is a toy is not nearly as easy as you think it is. Anyone going into that situation would have to assume it was a real firearm, I certainly would.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:36 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,586,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yes he did. The fact that it was a toy gun, that looked EXACTLY like a real gun is nobody's problem but the stupid kid that was waving it around threatening people with it.
Actually no, he did not point it at the cops. Nor did he take it out of his waistband. That is what I was responding to, please go back & read it.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:37 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,037,867 times
Quote:
Nobody said it's an easy job, but we should have much higher standards for our Officers of the Law.

They are murdering unarmed Americans at record rates even though violent crime has been declining for decades. Obviously something is wrong, even if it just a problem of extreme cowardice/fear in Police Departments across the country.
They are no better at telling an altered toy gun from a real gun than anyone else. How can you make them able to do so to hold them to this higher standard?

Old 12-28-2015, 01:37 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,586,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
You seem to be grossly misinformed as to what can and can't be accomplished with training. Determining at a distances that an altered toy gun is a toy is not nearly as easy as you think it is. Anyone going into that situation would have to assume it was a real firearm, I certainly would.
They weren't at a distance. They screeched the car right in front of him, got out & shot him. Did ANYONE on this thread actually WATCH the video? I don't think so. Lots of assumptions going on, none of it correct.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,318,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Who lied?
I was initially talking about the cops but now it could apply to many statements here.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,318,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The officer's stories match the video, the police report and the 911 calls 100%. Nobody lied, this kid shouldn't have been waving a toy gun at people in a public park.
Not only did the cops lie, it's contagious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:

They are murdering unarmed Americans at record rates even though violent crime has been declining for decades. Obviously something is wrong, even if it just a problem of extreme cowardice/fear in Police Departments across the country.
The police aren't murdering unarmed Americans at a record rate, but even if they were that wouldn't apply in this case because this kid was carrying and waving a replica gun at people in a public place. Police officers aren't cowards, they're just living in reality unlike you. The chances of you getting shot by a 12 year old while at work are pretty slim, their chances of getting shot at work by a 12 year old are exponentially higher than you can comprehend therefore it's understandable that they'd be a little more cautious. These are men with families and kids of their own, going home alive at the end of a shift is their main goal.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies