Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 04:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times

Advertisements

I was in 'Nam in '65-66 as a Riverine forces in the Mekong Delta Area. I did not care if the guy next to me was black, white, straight, gay or anything else. I only cared about his ability to fight effectively. Hell, we could have used an squad or two of Orcs. The natives were very very good at shooting us.

IMHO our Armed forces should reflect our society and not be a band of White Kristian Soldiers like our Air Force officers have become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 06:00 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,588,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
One of my crazy friends told me months ago that integration in the U.S. military was one of the worst things to happen to the U.S. LOL. Do you agree or disagree?
Absolutely not. Inclusion always beats Exclusion. We are a much richer country because of Inclusion in every Institution that make our country great. Diversity is our greatest strength.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:33 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
One of my crazy friends told me months ago that integration in the U.S. military was one of the worst things to happen to the U.S. LOL. Do you agree or disagree?
You mean racial integration? Seriously? Does your "crazy friend" have a collection of white sheets as apparel and a shrine to Adolf Hitler in his living room?

Old 01-02-2016, 08:33 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I was assigned to the Marines during Vietnam. We didn't have Black Marines or White Marines. We didn't have Hispanic Marines or Asian Marines. We had Marines. I am and will always be proud to have served with each and every one of them. I have never witnessed such bravery and such brotherhood as I did during that time. Semper Fi
Agreed. IMHO Marines are only 1 color: "green".

Old 01-02-2016, 08:35 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Exactly. No one. Over 30% of my husband's unit didn't come back from Afghanistan on his first deployment. Who the !!!! is thinking about integration issues?

Wow.
My God. RIP to your husband's brothers and sisters.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:09 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,399,515 times
best thing that ever happen, if the public had the same ideas that the military have, it be a better place

Old 01-02-2016, 01:24 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post
Did your friend serve? Did they say WHY it was a horrible idea? From my personal point of view I think integration that is forced is ALWAYS wrong. My father who DID SERVE in the late 70's early 80's said he refused to reenlist because he was the wrong race for the Army. Said white's were held to higher standard and blacks were never punished....he blatantly told this to his Sgt when he was asked if he wanted to reenlist. I now have 2 cousins in the Air Force and they seem to like it course they are in jobs that require HIGH IQ so maybe its not as bad...not sure.
Our country does not stand for segregation. And if the military still did, then it wouldn't be worth of our respect. Segregation is the antithesis of what this country is about.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:16 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I was assigned to the Marines during Vietnam. We didn't have Black Marines or White Marines. We didn't have Hispanic Marines or Asian Marines. We had Marines. I am and will always be proud to have served with each and every one of them. I have never witnessed such bravery and such brotherhood as I did during that time. Semper Fi
Bravo!!!

Old 01-02-2016, 06:22 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Our country does not stand for segregation. And if the military still did, then it wouldn't be worth of our respect. Segregation is the antithesis of what this country is about.

America remains largely segregated and that isn't likely to change any time soon. The military has been able to integrate because it is an artificial, controled environment.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:51 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post
Did your friend serve? Did they say WHY it was a horrible idea? From my personal point of view I think integration that is forced is ALWAYS wrong. My father who DID SERVE in the late 70's early 80's said he refused to reenlist because he was the wrong race for the Army. Said white's were held to higher standard and blacks were never punished....he blatantly told this to his Sgt when he was asked if he wanted to reenlist. I now have 2 cousins in the Air Force and they seem to like it course they are in jobs that require HIGH IQ so maybe its not as bad...not sure.
My father served in Korea, my uncle in Vietnam, me in Gulf War I and my son in Iraq. Your father was childish and racist. The best thing he did was decline re-enlistment. You're implying there aren't that many blacks with a "high IQ". That's an ignorant thing to say.

I was in the USAF and AFSC's (jobs) are assigned according to ASVAB scores not IQ. After almost 30 years, I still stay in touch with the people in my unit: southern whites, northern whites, blacks, Hawaians, and Hispanics.

We had a racist in the unit. Hailed from Columbus, Georgia. The guy sulked and walked around with a chip on his shoulder and a burr up his butt. Had a plantation mind. Nobody liked him and he had no friends. He declined re-enlistment too. Imagine that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies