Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 12:44 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Sheriff Palmer was another supporting voice for the militants, what was the point in facilitating a meeting with this group that was armed and had taken over federal property. He is up for reelection assuming he doesn't face charges for his actions, a prior sheriff is running against him. He also believes that Sandy Hook was a conspiracy to take away guns and has been very outspoken, he also met with some militants at his office in early January.
Troubling times indeed.
Posted elsewhere, bears repeating:

The Rise of the Sagebrush Sheriffs
How rural ‘constitutional’ peace officers are joining the war against the feds.

Quote:
Sheriffs have used their authority to weigh in on all manner of issues. Mack was a leading figure at the Bundy Ranch standoff in 2014, excoriating the local sheriff for not running the BLM out of there, and last year, he urged constitutional sheriffs to refuse to enforce the Supreme Court’s decision to permit gay marriage. In Idaho, Bonner County Sheriff Daryl Wheeler wrote to the state’s governor, Butch Otter, exhorting him not to resettle Syrian refugees. Mack was on hand in Burns, Oregon, in early January to demonstrate in support of ranchers Dwight and Steven Hammond, who were sentenced to five years in prison for arson on federal land. Even though he is close to the Bundys, however, Mack questioned their subsequent occupation of the nearby wildlife refuge. While the local Harney County Sheriff, David Ward, has taken a strong stance against the occupation, Sheriff Glenn Palmer, from Grant County, Oregon expressed limited support for Bundy and friends, saying the federal government should give in to some of their demands. Palmer was the 2011 CSPOA Sheriff of the Year, and made his name by pushing back against federal land agency travel-management plans.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:53 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Troubling times indeed.
Posted elsewhere, bears repeating:

The Rise of the Sagebrush Sheriffs
How rural ‘constitutional’ peace officers are joining the war against the feds.
You have to wonder which side these sheriffs are on, they took an oath to uphold the law then they start interpreting the law and offer their opinions, maybe a supreme court seat is in order. I don't think they understand how totally irresponsible their actions are giving these crazies credibility.

I never heard of the sovereign citizens movement before this, a growing problem.

Quote:
They could be dismissed as a nuisance, a loose network of individuals living in the United States who call themselves “sovereign citizens” and believe that federal, state, and local governments operate illegally. Some of their actions, although quirky, are not crimes. The offenses they do commit seem minor, including regularly false license plates, driver’s licenses, and even currency.
However, a closer look at sovereign citizens’ more severe crimes, from financial scams to impersonating or threatening law enforcement officials, gives reason for concern. If someone challenges (e.g., a standard traffic stop for false license plates) their ideology, the behavior of these sovereign-citizen extremists quickly can escalate to violence. Since 2000, lone-offender sovereign-citizen extremists have killed six law enforcement officers. In 2010, two Arkansas police officers stopped sovereign-citizen extremists Jerry Kane and his 16-year-old son Joseph during a routine traffic stop on Interstate 40. Joseph Kane jumped out of the vehicle and opened fire with an AK-47 assault rifle, killing both officers.
The sovereign-citizen threat likely will grow as the nationwide movement is fueled by the Internet, the economic downturn, and seminars held across the country that spread their ideology and show people how they can tap into funds and eliminate debt through fraudulent methods. As sovereign citizens’ numbers grow, so do the chances of contact with law enforcement and, thus, the risks that incidents will end in violence. Law enforcement and judicial officials must understand the sovereign-citizen movement, be able to identify indicators, and know how to protect themselves from the group’s threatening tactics.

https://leb.fbi.gov/2011/september/s...aw-enforcement

Old 03-10-2016, 12:54 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
So I guess that if you haven't yet, you were about to tell us how sick you are of the left-wing crazies in the Occupy Wall Street movement, and their ideas of how their right to free stuff trumps our rights. And you were about to condemn those that took over our public spaces in over 100 cities. You were about to talk about how they caused much more harm, and broke many more laws, and cost the taxpayers many times more that the Oregon standoff.

Maybe you are about to go on a long rant about how dangerous some within the BLM are, and how they are terrorist.

You were about to do all of that right? I mean, you want to be fair don't you?

You people make me sick with how you criticize a group that didn't hurt anyone, all the while you ignore those that took over public property for months, and cost the taxpayers 100 million dollars or more. You even support the grievances of those that riot, burn, steal, rape, and kill, all to "protest" the wrongdoings of the government, all the while you turn a blind eye to their terrible crimes.

There is no doubt that those involved in the Bundy, and Oregon standoffs were wrong, but to paint them as these terrible, dangerous terrorist is beyond absurd, when they in fact haven't hurt anyone.

At the very least, be consistent.
Consistent? Well, in your world nothing would be considered consistent unless it coincides with your own foolish mantra of right wing philosophy, and that aint gonna happen. You can cry over your fallen comrades all day and no one with an ounce of sense will step up to your point of view. Like the Bundy's and that tribe of idiots who stood in defiance of law you will keep on being consistent with your meaningless rants, oh, in my locale the OWS crowd was dispersed by the same law enforcement group that routed the LaVoy convoy, equal justice under the law. The difference is obvious so please refrain from your own proclamations of "over-reach"...

Old 03-10-2016, 01:04 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Quote:
Finicum said they would have to shoot him to stop him from seeing the sheriff. You seem to conveniently overlooking that fact.

What does Finicum getting out of his truck with his hands up tell you? It tells me he had no intention of harming anyone, and he could well have been in the process of surrendering. He only put his hands down near his waist after the police tried to kill him, not once, but twice, and the second time he had his hands up in the air, in a surrendering posture.
Well, aren't you the Monday morning quarterback of law enforcement tactics--We'll never know what was in that man's mind those last few moments of his life, but I do know what was on the mind of the OSP, it's called survival in the face of mortal danger, something few have considered when reviewing the event on video. Why is it that the boneheaded just can't see the role of law enforcement as a JOB, there was no conspiracy, there was not even enough malice on the part of the OSP to warrant blasting the fool as he sat in his truck, it IS A JOB-- not that you give a whit about anyone with the exception of that poor deranged LaVoy..

Old 03-10-2016, 01:06 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
So many different parts to this event, out of state militias, congressmen, radio talk show hosts that it defies logic. Some still have doubts to what took place with all the history, and videos and they still don't believe their own eyes and ears. Imagine if there was no visual evidence.
One thing did actually surprise me, and positively: None of the GOP presidential hopefuls even nudged towards offering a sliver of support.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I never heard of the sovereign citizens movement before this, a growing problem.
Mainly heard of them from being here - out 'West'.
They do love creating their little license plates and driver's licenses.

TeamLaw right here in Colorado will even help you out with your Constitutional shenanigans!

Quote:
Welcome to Team Law!
Would you like: to have your freedoms back; the economy stabilized; and, the government to return to the Constitutional Republic (as it was formed)? We can show you how. As you follow the “Standard for Review”, we can help you learn how to learn and apply the law.
You can use our Open Forum to communicate directly with Team Law; to learn how you can help preserve our country by learning and applying the law.
That website feels like a time-machine to 1996-97.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:23 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
No discussion of Sovereign Citizens is complete without this little video of a guy learning the hard way that people in the real world aren't obliged to play by his rulebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfVbiefMdNU

"I am not a person, you deal here with admiral maritime law which deals in persons.... I do not wish to create joinder with you."

"I don't know what lawbook you're reading, but it doesn't apply to me."

"You're blocking my freedom of movement." "I am."

P.Barnes is a very patient guy.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 03-10-2016 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
No discussion of Sovereign Citizens is complete without this little video of a guy learning the hard way that people in the real world aren't obliged to play by his rulebook.
Gotta love that look - "Man, I'm not gettin' paid enough to deal with this clown."

And more goodness - Sovereign Citizens Getting Owned Compilation

Old 03-10-2016, 01:54 PM

513 posts, read 837,795 times
Quote:
The discovery of that gunfire and conduct afterward by the agent and four other agents have triggered a criminal investigation that could result in the prosecution of all five. The agents all serve on the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team.
Good.

Only relevant to the death of Tarp Man, who said over & over he would never surrender, and always armed and delusional. ALL the rest of The Ballad of the Bundyites has nothing to do with that.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:58 PM

513 posts, read 837,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
They do love creating their little license plates and driver's licenses.
That's great for them, because they may be making license plates for quite a while...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies