Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:15 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,596,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Most people who don't vote would vote democrat if they exercised their option.

I think it is a good thing that many Americans don't vote. When you are busy smoking pot, drinking, playing video games, or asleep, it is hard to cast a vote.

For the same reason, I am not opposed to early term abortion. Most of those aborted are futrue democrats/criminals.

The people who don't vote would vote for a third party but because the system is broke then our votes don't count. We keep hearing that it does but in reality it doesn't. You would just like us to believe that it does it keep your two party idiots in office every four years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 07:18 AM

643 posts, read 474,381 times
The thought of Hillary getting in will drive me to the poles to vote anything Republican. Uggggh that woman makes me throw up a bit in my mouth.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:22 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,546,865 times
1. A candidate I really, really support, or
2. A candidate I really, really don't want to see become president.

Well, reason number 1 is hypothetical; every vote since 1972 has been negative. Call me a cynic.

I know that with the electoral system, my vote won't affect the outcome, but I forgot number 3:

3. The moderately discreet "I voted" sticker I get to wear. If it's get your own sticker, I get several, wear them all, and explain to my coworkers that you get a sticker for every time you vote.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:25 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,817,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
1. A candidate I really, really support, or
2. A candidate I really, really don't want to see become president.

Well, reason number 1 is hypothetical; every vote since 1972 has been negative. Call me a cynic.

I know that with the electoral system, my vote won't affect the outcome, but I forgot number 3:

3. The moderately discreet "I voted" sticker I get to wear. If it's get your own sticker, I get several, wear them all, and explain to my coworkers that you get a sticker for every time you vote.
Vote early, vote often. It's the Democrat way.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Compulsory Voting: How about getting paid to vote?

"Would paying people to vote increase voter turnout? The answer is yes, according to a randomized experiment by political scientist Costas Panagopolous, published in The Journal of Politics in 2013. In a 2010 election in California, he arranged to have voters paid various amounts of money to come to the polls. Voters were paid cash at the voting site. An incentive of $2 didn’t make a difference in turnout. An incentive of $10 made some difference, but paying $25 substantially elevated voter turnout."

Can paying people to vote increase voter turnout? L.A.’s looking into it and the answer is yes.
Perhaps, but (a) there's a much cheaper way to do it; move Election Day to Sunday, when people aren't working; alternatively, make Election Day a national holiday, with penalties for employers who coerce employees to work that day; however, it'll never happen, because (b) both parties and the entire political establishment are dead set against ANY attempt to improve voter turnout in the general population.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Vote early, vote often. It's the Democrat way.
You're probably one of those people who would think I'm serious. I'm glad I have coworkers and friends who understand irony and nuance.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,630,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
If it was how you decribe then a bote in fargo would be worthless , one state with a large population could decide political policy for the whole nation forever
No it wouldn't. States would no longer play a part in the election.

Only popular vote would count. And everyone's input would be equal. As in all other elections, the winner would have the most votes, not loosely-bound promises from some collection of appointed "electors" to act in accordance with how the public voted.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:29 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,374,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I've voted in each election since Nixon.

That said, the electoral college perverts presidential voting so that a GOP vote in a blue state or a Dem vote in a red state become meaningless. Presidents should be elected the same as every other office; by popular vote. That way, a vote in Fargo carries the same weight as a vote in NYC and political campaigns would have to be more broadly based than concentrating on a handful of swing states.
It's not meaningless. Are you saying that if everyone voting for the blue candidate in a blue state decided their vote was meaningless and just stayed home that nothing would end up differently?

Old 02-05-2016, 10:31 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,374,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Perhaps, but (a) there's a much cheaper way to do it; move Election Day to Sunday, when people aren't working; alternatively, make Election Day a national holiday, with penalties for employers who coerce employees to work that day; however, it'll never happen, because (b) both parties and the entire political establishment are dead set against ANY attempt to improve voter turnout in the general population.
You now have weeks to vote.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:33 AM

2,798 posts, read 3,000,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
If it was how you decribe then a bote in fargo would be worthless , one state with a large population could decide political policy for the whole nation forever
No, a vote in Fargo would have the exact same worth as a vote in New York. Why is this difficult to understand.

"States" don't decide political policy, the people who live in them do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies