Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:47 AM

78,543 posts, read 60,737,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is true. I want to add something else. There has been a history of banning Black men from having any kind of weapon. The idea was to emasculate Black men. If you can defend yourself, you can't easily be enslaved. Consider the Greenwood riot in Tulsa. The idea was to tear down a Black neighborhood. One man had a gun to defend himself. He was ordered by another man to give up his gun. Think about why he, as a Black man, would be ordered to give up his gun.
Great post.

Sad reality is that the political party affiliation protects Bloomberg from any real backlash.

Heck, if he'd said something even more offensive then he'd just have to roll out some black supporters and democratic allies to absolve him as a "good guy" that "supports blacks".

This is also the guy that runs the NYPD.

Kinda points out how getting political change on things like minority policing and other initiatives is such a tough sell when so many have it good and don't want to rock the boat.

I just look at city after city and the typical black resident doesn't seem to have an effective voice in politics.

Just look at Baltimore's current mayor.
Well mumsy was a doctor and my father was a politician, I grew up in the upscale Ashburton neighborhood. She's got hers with prominent democratic connections, board seats, DNC secretary.....is she going to "rock the boat"? Not on your life.

P.S. "Well it's not like I'd vote republican" is a valid response...can't blame you there....but it doesn't change the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 AM

211 posts, read 114,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Need to be 21 for a FOID or parental permission if younger, in Illinois.

Most murders in Chicago are gang related in neighborhoods controlled by gangs. Gangs don't care about laws.
Exactly. Its not like gangbangers are buying their guns from Sports Authority or Walmart.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:58 AM

57,379 posts, read 26,294,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you suppose he is thinking a voluntary turn in would work?
No just making a statement that the demographic indicated accounts for a rather large part of the crime, how they address that is problematic but no question they account for a large majority of crime.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:00 AM

57,379 posts, read 26,294,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Great post.

Sad reality is that the political party affiliation protects Bloomberg from any real backlash.

Heck, if he'd said something even more offensive then he'd just have to roll out some black supporters and democratic allies to absolve him as a "good guy" that "supports blacks".

This is also the guy that runs the NYPD.

Kinda points out how getting political change on things like minority policing and other initiatives is such a tough sell when so many have it good and don't want to rock the boat.

I just look at city after city and the typical black resident doesn't seem to have an effective voice in politics.

Just look at Baltimore's current mayor.
Well mumsy was a doctor and my father was a politician, I grew up in the upscale Ashburton neighborhood. She's got hers with prominent democratic connections, board seats, DNC secretary.....is she going to "rock the boat"? Not on your life.

P.S. "Well it's not like I'd vote republican" is a valid response...can't blame you there....but it doesn't change the point.
Whether you agree with it or not stop & frisk implemented by Bloomberg did remove guns from that group.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:11 AM

1,431 posts, read 914,573 times
The joke's on Bloomberg, since most of those guns are illegally acquired to begin with. In addition to most of the gun carriers being underage. Let's make more ineffective gun laws to combat people who don't follow the laws in the first place.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Whether you agree with it or not stop & frisk implemented by Bloomberg did remove guns from that group.
Nice of you to defend the trampling on the Constitutional rights of minorities. And yes, you are defending it.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:31 AM

45,250 posts, read 26,498,346 times
Americas own version of King George. Maybe he can dress the troops in red and station a soldier in every home.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:37 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,560,035 times
can't we just pass a law that prohibits criminals from having a gun?

Old 02-10-2016, 09:40 AM

29,608 posts, read 16,590,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
Show us the 'hole'.
(Oh and I am going to address one of those so called 'holes' in my next post!)
you seriously dont understand that you can support gun control and not want to ban all minority young men from owning guns ?

Old 02-10-2016, 09:40 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,619,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon Tosser
Now this is a tough one for anti-gun nuts. If they support this then they are discriminating against "minorities", but if they don't then they are acknowledging that the 2nd Amendment protects the right to keep and bear arms. What is a liberal anti-gun nut to do?
funny that they 'disappeared' the original version of this post (but missed some responses). it was a good one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies