Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 05:28 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,715,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
We should let the constitution work. Obama should nominate a replacement and the Senate votes.
Exactly ! I personally liked Scalia, but he died on Obama's watch and things need to play out like the Constitution says.

Obama is the President, so let him nominate and let the Senate vote happen as it should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 05:29 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,450,191 times
HISTORY LESSON

FDR threatened to 'pack the SCOTUS if it cut down his NRA'.

Can't happen now because R's control the Senate. Only thing the WH moslem can do is to continually join the dim howling machine. Should a dim score an unlikely win in November, watch the howl change in volume, intensity, and verbiage. Until then (and hopefully til 20 Jan 17) it's howl at the moon time.

El Nox

Old 02-14-2016, 05:29 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,004,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
While I know it's not part of the Constitution, I'm not in favor of a foreign-born person being on the Supreme Court. Although, he does seem qualified.
Why? He's an American citizen, he's qualified, well liked, and brilliant.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:31 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,279,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It could easily degrade into a Constitutional crisis.. In the cases where we had 8 or 6 justices were they split equally over political view?

Given multiple 4/4 splits we could easily end up in situations where the courts affirms conflicting decisions. How is that going to work. And both wings have the power to pull up appeals court cases with the desired outcome. So a win for the TX immigration case can simply be met by manipulating one of the opposite rulings from another appeals court.

Now the court may be able to work around much of this...push off the ones that will hang them to another time for instance. And sometimes they may well be able to find positions that will go 5/3.

But it could certainly got to be a real issue if it goes to one of the bad outcomes.
I think the Court has been too politically influenced by the press, telling them how a case should turn out. Obama does exactly the same thing. Media pressure is intense in all areas of our lives. While there are only 8 with no tie-breaker - the Justices will just have to step up and do their jobs without the Political pressure they allow to influence them. The Rubber is about to Hit the Road.

Any 4/4 split goes back to the lower court - the lower court has already settled the Texas Immigration case, Obama appealed it to SCOTUS. Of course it's not just Texas, it's Texas & 25 other States. It's not just an Immigration matter either - SCOTUS added a 4th question to be answered and it's a doozy. The Justices also instructed the states and the Obama administration to address a fourth question: whether the immigration policy violates the Constitution’s “Take Care Clause,” which requires the president to “take care that the laws be faithfully executed.” The Texas (+25 other States) is surely the most consequential case on the docket - and TeamObama put it there. Labor will feel their case is most crucial and Black groups will think the Affirmative Action case is most crucial .... but it's really the "take care that laws are executed faithfully" case (and the many millions of illegals) that is THE CASE.

Is it really better (in anyones opinion) to continue to have so many 5/4 decisions on CRUCIAL issues that effect all Americans? I don't think anyone is comfortable with that.
I would rather those cases sit back at the State or District level rather than become "Law of the Land" in such a Divisive Period in our history.

The President, Legislature & Judicial branches have to get a handle on this Bitter Divisiveness or you can stick a fork in this Nation. I'm not sure how many more years of this stuff we can handle.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:37 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,948,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
Like all leftists .. history is unknown to you.

[URL="http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/14/flashback-in-2007-schumer-called-for-blocking-all-bush-supreme-court-nominations/"]Chuck Schumer Called For Blocking All Bush SCOTUS Noms | The Daily Caller[/URL]
But it never happened! None of George W. Bush's nominations were blocked. Also, 7 out of 9 justices at that time had been appointed by Republican presidents. I'd say that's a bit more unbalanced than 4. Since the 1950s, the majority of Supreme Court justices have been appointed by Republican presidents. It wasn't even closely balanced until Obama nominated Sotomayor and Kagan.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:38 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,254,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Exactly ! I personally liked Scalia, but he died on Obama's watch and things need to play out like the Constitution says.

Obama is the President, so let him nominate and let the Senate vote happen as it should.
Did you voice the same when Schumer made these statements about a GW appointment?
Schumer to fight new Bush high court picks - POLITICO

Old 02-14-2016, 05:38 PM

934 posts, read 596,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivininRoc85 View Post
Between immigration and domestic migration, they have no shot at winning any of those, no matter who the candidate is for their side

Even with an awful corrupt to the core candidate from the Dems running, they can't win

I say go out with style
Then they lose senate seats along with the white house

Old 02-14-2016, 05:43 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,223,815 times
Or Obama could nominate one of the judges that the republicans unanimously approved when they were nominated for their current positions.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:44 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,813,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I think the Court has been too politically influenced by the press, telling them how a case should turn out. Obama does exactly the same thing. Media pressure is intense in all areas of our lives. While there are only 8 with no tie-breaker - the Justices will just have to step up and do their jobs without the Political pressure they allow to influence them. The Rubber is about to Hit the Road.

Any 4/4 split goes back to the lower court - the lower court has already settled the Texas Immigration case, Obama appealed it to SCOTUS. Of course it's not just Texas, it's Texas & 25 other States. It's not just an Immigration matter either - SCOTUS added a 4th question to be answered and it's a doozy. The Justices also instructed the states and the Obama administration to address a fourth question: whether the immigration policy violates the Constitution’s “Take Care Clause,” which requires the president to “take care that the laws be faithfully executed.” The Texas (+25 other States) is surely the most consequential case on the docket - and TeamObama put it there. Labor will feel their case is most crucial and Black groups will think the Affirmative Action case is most crucial .... but it's really the "take care that laws are executed faithfully" case (and the many millions of illegals) that is THE CASE.

Is it really better (in anyones opinion) to continue to have so many 5/4 decisions on CRUCIAL issues that effect all Americans? I don't think anyone is comfortable with that.
I would rather those cases sit back at the State or District level rather than become "Law of the Land" in such a Divisive Period in our history.

The President, Legislature & Judicial branches have to get a handle on this Bitter Divisiveness or you can stick a fork in this Nation. I'm not sure how many more years of this stuff we can handle.
If the Obama administration believes it is actually likely to go that way the counter tactic is simple. Start the same action someplace in the ninth circuit. And have it get to the USSC after the TX case.

To fix the divisiveness simply elect Clinton. In 8 years they will all be 7 to 2.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:46 PM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The stakes are much higher this time. The first and second amendments are in dire jeopardy.
We've heard you say that now over and over and over. No need to repeat it again and again and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies