Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 01:17 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
It would appear that there is an almost perfect candidate. Of course political wrangling and one-upsmanship may preclude him. Interesting.

Sri Srinivasan: Supreme Court justice in the making?
While I know it's not part of the Constitution, I'm not in favor of a foreign-born person being on the Supreme Court. Although, he does seem qualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 01:18 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
If there were no difference, the Republicans would be saying "send us your nomination and let us vote."

Instead they've made it clear they don't want to vote because (1) the appointee might actually get confirmed and (2) regardless of the outcome, they will be on record voting against a qualified woman or minority.

They don't have a winning option.
That is funny. Why was not Bork qualified?

Old 02-14-2016, 01:23 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Because Obama is not likely to nominate a candidate who we will agree with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Stop crying.

That's just too bad.
No, it's not "just too bad." The Senate does not have to confirm the President's pick if they don't like/agree with how he has ruled on cases. They are not a "rubber stamp" but are to carefully consider, and then accept or reject. They aren't tied to any timetable either. They may choose to not bring it up, and they are perfectly within their rights to wait till the next President is chosen. That is their right under the Constitution.

What's "just too bad" is that YOU don't understand the Constitution.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Given McConnell's already stated intransigence, I'd like to see Obama make a recess appointment since Congress is currently adjourned. Furthermore he'll appoint the most flaming liberal possible while making a more moderate nomination to permanently fill the vacancy. And if that doesn't work, just leave it up to President H.R. Clinton to fill the vacancy with a Democrat controlled Senate...
Should this be some other court, Obama COULD do a recess appointment. The Supreme Court however won't be. One difference between this and the past 1968 one is that Scalia died while still serving and wasn't serving out the year while awaiting his replacement. This is why the issue of "obstruction" comes from waiting out. If this goes into September and we don't see a vote, we have a problem.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
While I know it's not part of the Constitution, I'm not in favor of a foreign-born person being on the Supreme Court. Although, he does seem qualified.
Then push for an amendment if you are that against it. Nothing wrong with pushing for an amendment my friend.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:36 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And that is a disgrace regardless of what you think of the mans judicial rulings, I am sorry the family was treated in this manner.
I'm shocked that Justice Scalia's family was treated so shabbily. I guess I shouldn't be shocked, considering where he died. A very Democratic stronghold (Prisidio County, TX) and taken to another very Democratic stronghold (El Paso), where the County Coroner has the authority to call for/or deny an Autopsy.

I just heard on TV that Justice Scalia will be embalmed in El Paso before his return to Washington -- I find it totally incomprehensible that such a prominent and Politically sensitive death to a healthy man would not undergo an Autopsy to determine the cause of death -- particularly when he dies so far from home and family. I find it totally incomprehensible that a Political County official would be allowed to make that call -- especially during a time of such partisan division in this Nation. All officials involved are Democrats - Republican don't even bother to field candidates in Prisidio County, TX.

Presidio County Judge Cinderela Guevara, who pronounced Scalia dead, told ABC News the death certificate will say the cause of death was natural, and that he died of a heart attack. She said no autopsy was necessary.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:37 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
A Congressional session runs for one year, January 3rd to sometime in December. There are two sessions for each “Congress” (odd year to odd year). Adjournment means that Congress is out of session, it is closed to business. This is in contrast to a recess, which we might think of as “time off” or “pause.”
After Congress is adjourned, there are formal processes involved in reconvening. The Constitution forbids either the Senate or the House to adjourn for more than three days without the permission of the other chamber.
A “recess appointment” can not be made during adjournment. There is no provision for appointment during adjournment.
See: Recess Appointments: Frequently Asked Questions

Old 02-14-2016, 01:41 PM

858 posts, read 707,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post

Also, is there a democrat here that would say that the dems would not do the same if it was reversed and let's say Breyer had passed away the last year of GW Bush's administration? I don't think so!
THey probably would try too...that doesn't make it right. This is where the chips fell. Scalia was not going to schedule his death so we might as well deal with it. Obama making a nominee and congress voting on it is the right and sensible thing to do....neither of which congress has so that's why this is going to be a circus.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's just too bad.
That is exactly the point... It's too bad.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:48 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Probably about as seriously as Reid, who permanently delayed over 300 House bills.
That is not uncommon.

This situation is uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies