Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 10:47 AM

5,737 posts, read 3,272,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So you got free tuition. Of course you're not mad paying for some veteran's tuition because you got free tuition yourself from all the rest of us. Yet here you are complaining about free tuition. Oh the irony.

Yes. he is complaining about lazy millenials wanting free tuition without contributing ANYTHING.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 10:50 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,837,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Worm out of what? First off, I haven't been in the military since 2010. Second, the taxpayers (including me) paid for my schooling because I'm a war vet and actually did something. I could've easily sat around and demanded free schooling with no contribution on my end, but I made an contractual agreement with the government. I also paid for further education myself (along with my spouse's). You know what that resulted in? Me paying 4k in taxes MONTHLY after I got a better position. Have you ever paid 48k just in taxes? You know what I could've done with 48k? A lot of people don't even gross that.

If you have a problem with any veteran receiving educational benefits, that's something you need to take up with Veterans Affairs. I'm paying for another veteran's schooling right now, you mad? I'm not.
Oh how they'll try to put down a vet. It might work for their ilk but the rest of us who see right through their spin in an attempt to justify getting something for nothing is funny and insulting. Thank you for your service.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:50 AM

17,410 posts, read 12,030,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So you got free tuition. Of course you're not mad paying for some veteran's tuition because you got free tuition yourself from all the rest of us. Yet here you are complaining about free tuition. Oh the irony.
It wasn't free. It was paid back through service.

Free would be to get that tuition and never pay it back in any way. What about college grads paying back their tuition by working as EMT's, cops, or doctors at low minimum pay in needy communities?

Old 02-23-2016, 10:52 AM

17,410 posts, read 12,030,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Oh how they'll try to put down a vet. It might work for their ilk but the rest of us who see right through their spin in an attempt to justify getting something for nothing is funny and insulting. Thank you for your service.
Proving beautifully why there shouldn't be "free" college educations. All schools are these days are propaganda-spewing indoctrination camps that teach hate for our military.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
How about a cap on salaries paid by the universities? Coaches, professors that teach only a few courses, administrators - they make a LOT of money, which is passed down to the students. Just capping tuition without capping salaries would only mean that taxes would have to be raised to take up the slack at public universities.
Yep, universities, professors, coaches make a lot of money and they want more. Out of one side of their liberal mouth they support it (hoping no one can see through it) and claiming they care but you'll never see these liberals supporting a pay cut.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:53 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,611,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Learn how to quote.

One doesn't even have to be in active duty to get GI benefits so that argument is totally null & void. The whole idea is laughable. "I'm so sick of people wanting free things, I'm tired of people complaining about paying for things"....."oh look, I get school for free!" You know who I'd rather have my taxpayer money go towards? A person who's had a hard time in life looking to get their life on track with education. Someone who probably doesn't have the money, nor does their family, to get an education. Not some military person who probably didn't lift a finger in a danger zone the whole time they served then has the audacity to complain about higher education & calls people lazy or undeserving when they themselves got theirs paid for by us taxpayers.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:53 AM

5,737 posts, read 3,272,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I didn't say "wouldn't pay tuition" I said "would not pay for". Excluding mandatory fees is pretty disingenuous when you are talking about the cost of attendance.

Wrong! thats not what you said!!

Also, tuition alone is $2145.96 per semester for in state residents. Not sure where you got that number. It's $2517.36 per semester for in state residents including mandatory fees.

see link Bismarck State College - Tuition, Net Price and Cost to Attend

Pell never covered fee's. even if they did, the grant should still over way more.

https://bismarckstate.edu/uploads/re...-worksheet.pdf
Through in the estimated $650/semester for books and a ton of different class fees depending on major, but generally $250/semester regardless of major, and there is no way $5,500/yr covers it.
And still, this is the cheapest public school in the country (according to US News and World Report) 10 Cheapest Public Schools for In-State Students - US News

Why should we have to pay for your books? Thats the least you could pay for.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Proving beautifully why there shouldn't be "free" college educations. All schools are these days are propaganda-spewing indoctrination camps that teach hate for our military.
Tax payer money going to support the liberal propaganda machine. Hitler made it law for the kids to go to Hitler youth camps ie.. Nazi propaganda machine. We're getting closer and closer.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:57 AM

59 posts, read 66,261 times
A college degree has become a necessity for upward mobility for most people. Entirely free college is a bit impractical, but what's happening now sure isn't sustainable unless America wants to grow increasingly poorer and more stratified. If you don't aim for the extreme, you won't get even half that.

The problem isn't the Millennials, it's the more mature generations who have—by a long series of selfish and shortsighted mistakes—created a situation in which our children will very likely be worse off than we are. The Boomers and even the Gen-Xers (like me) have been terrible economic stewards. Any one of us who would be indignant about the wishes of Millennials for dramatic relief from the nightmare we've made for them should look very hard in the mirror. We've done this. They are only reacting to it.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurPan View Post

The problem isn't the Millennials, it's the more mature generations who have—by a long series of selfish and shortsighted mistakes—created a situation in which our children will very likely be worse off than we are.
Yep, they created spoiled children who want everything handed to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies