Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:29 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
None? At all? Ever?

What if - what if say the United States was attacked? You are suggesting that we do not wage war to defend our nation?
If we're attacked, then someone else is waging war against us. We're merely defending ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 05:19 AM

71 posts, read 288,652 times
The Iraqi war was a great blunder that did not in any way contribute to eradicating the greater war on terrorism. Instead of focusing on the Taliban and their Al Qaida allies, the Iraqi adventure diverted energy, resources and men to a place that posed no direct threat to America. The mere fact that suicide bombings and the unchecked level of anti-Americanism in much of the world continues at an alarming level, while Osama and his cohorts live comfortably in their Afghani caves, should make one thing clear: that the Iraq war was the greatest strategic and security blunder in the history of this nation. Any-one who disputes this fact is either delusional or worse naïve.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:35 AM

3,897 posts, read 1,228,299 times
How many of you have spoken to a serviceman or servicewoman that is actually IN Iraq? My youngest son is there......and he asked me to please not listen to anything I hear on the news! He said they are doing 'good things' over there and he is PROUD to be there! So, rather than making rash decisions over how we feel about the US being there, perhaps we should look at it from the viewpoint of those over there - working hard everyday - putting their lives on the line for each of us.

I want more than anything for my son to be back in the US, safe and sound, but out of respect for him, I must defend the need for him to be there. He has been there for 16 months with no leaves. And Yes, my heart skips a beat when the doorbell rings, fear of finding someone standing there with bad news......or when I hear that another soldier has lost his/her life, my heart once again skips a beat. But, I'm proud of my son and if he says they need to be there and they are doing good things, then I must support the need for them to be there.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 AM

71 posts, read 288,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbette View Post
How many of you have spoken to a serviceman or servicewoman that is actually IN Iraq? My youngest son is there......and he asked me to please not listen to anything I hear on the news! He said they are doing 'good things' over there and he is PROUD to be there! So, rather than making rash decisions over how we feel about the US being there, perhaps we should look at it from the viewpoint of those over there - working hard everyday - putting their lives on the line for each of us.

I want more than anything for my son to be back in the US, safe and sound, but out of respect for him, I must defend the need for him to be there. He has been there for 16 months with no leaves. And Yes, my heart skips a beat when the doorbell rings, fear of finding someone standing there with bad news......or when I hear that another soldier has lost his/her life, my heart once again skips a beat. But, I'm proud of my son and if he says they need to be there and they are doing good things, then I must support the need for them to be there.

When some-one criticizes the Iraqi war, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they are condemning the soldiers over there that are doing their job. In most cases, people criticize the Iraq war based on the misguided decisions of the current administration in sending our military to a place they shouldn’t have been in the first place; especially when one considers in mind the failure of NATO and the American military in carrying out the job they were mobilized for: the elimination of the Al Qaida terrorists and their allies and the capture (or death) of Osama Bin Laden.

It is very irrational to believe that Iraq has in any way contributed to the efforts to make this country safe. If any-thing Iraq has been turned into a terrorist breeding factory that are getting battle-hardened and motivated to carry out acts of terror not only in Iraq but else where. The most excruciating reality about this war is that it has led us to demoralizing case of “damned if you do, damned if you don’t,” meaning that if we leave, the terrorists would follow us not only here at home but also more importantly destabilize other friendly countries in the region; and the longer we stay, the more resources we would spend draining our already weak economy and contribute to the loss of so many of our people. It is precisely because of this fact that one criticizes those who supported this war from day one and continue to support it even today.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:44 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,748 times
Default Your son has our support

Quote:

Keep the faith; we believe what your son is saying! I support the war effort but do wish we could end our commitment soon--very soon w/o giving the other side an agenda of our plans, of course. To me, publicizing dates, etc. only lessens the chances for our troops to arrive home safely.

Thank you for the sacrifices you have and as well as your soon. We owe you.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1945 View Post
Keep the faith; we believe what your son is saying! I support the war effort but do wish we could end our commitment soon--very soon w/o giving the other side an agenda of our plans, of course. To me, publicizing dates, etc. only lessens the chances for our troops to arrive home safely.

Thank you for the sacrifices you have and as well as your soon. We owe you.
Thanks Suzanne!! That means alot!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
How many of you have spoken to a serviceman or servicewoman that is actually IN Iraq?
I agree with the totality of your post. My son is also there - 5th tour.

Thank him for his service.

And, thank you for your support

Old 02-14-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I agree with the totality of your post. My son is also there - 5th tour.

Thank him for his service.

And, thank you for your support
Greatday: Thank you to you and your son also!! We have reason to be Proud!! I'll add you both to my prayers!!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:38 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Props to both of your loved ones serving! Its greatly appreciated!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies