Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 06:00 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,571,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
If the republicans actually follow this path it may very well do them more damage than good come November, depending on how big this issue could become.
I can't fathom how they think this is a good strategy in an election year.

I also saw where old turkey neck said he would rather lose the Senate than lose the SCOTUS appointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 06:01 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,098,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I can't fathom how they think this is a good strategy in an election year.

I also saw where old turkey neck said he would rather lose the Senate than lose the SCOTUS appointment.
At this rate he is going to lose both.

Republicans are their own worst enemies.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:07 PM

30,111 posts, read 18,712,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Yes! some semblance of a backbone from the Republicans, that's all we've been asking for...

McConnell: Senate won't act on Obama Supreme Court nominee - CNNPolitics.com

let the Democrat hypocrisy ensue!
Three cheers for the judiciary committee. It is hilarious when the dems recieve the same treatment they have been dishing out.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
At this rate he is going to lose both.

Republicans are their own worst enemies.
And why? Because liberals aren't going to vote for republicans now?

Newsflash- Liberals never vote for republicans,so who cares?

Old 02-23-2016, 07:19 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,503,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Yeah, if anything, it helps the Republicans solidify and energize their base. Hell, I'm not even a Republican and I'm ecstatic that they're finally doing what they were elected to do!

Now if the argument is that Independents are somehow going to feel slighted, well, that's me and like I said, I'm ecstatic that they're putting the brakes on another Obama SC nominee.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:48 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,643,632 times
Quote:

Ummm... no... because independents are less likely to vote for Republicans now; and more importantly this latest temper tantrum by the Republipunks is definitely going to energize and motivate a lot more liberal and liberal-leaning independents to vote against them than might have otherwise bothered to vote.

Every election, about 45% of the voters are going to vote for the Republican no matter what, and about 45% are going to vote for whatever Democrat is on the ballot. That's a given. The solid, dedicated base, the core of each party, pretty much cancel each other out. Most elections are won by whomever persuades the most independents to turn out, and energizes and motivates the most members of their own party who typically don't feel very strongly about either candidate and probably wouldn't have voted at all if there hadn't been some volatile and controversial issue that got them riled up and/or scared.

It's that 10% of people who "could have gone this way, could have gone that way, maybe even just stayed home and watched TV" who decide presidential elections. It's all about getting the attention of people who are already sympathetic to your position but not particularly motivated, and giving them a reason to get off the sofa and come out and vote. And whether or not Republipunks are bright enough to realize it, this is exactly the sort of issue that is going to get a lot of people out to vote - because they're sick and tired of this kind of crap, and they're going to be royally pissed off by it.

I'm one of them. I'm a liberal who votes in about 1 out of 3, maybe 1 out of 2 elections, and only when I'm really mad about something or when there's a liberal candidate I like, trust, and respect enough that I feel I can vote for them in good conscience. And the latter is very, very rare. I voted twice for Bill Clinton, once for Obama (fool me once shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me), and didn't vote at all in 00 or 04. Prior to that, Mondale and Carter were the only two Presidential ballots I ever cast, and all I can say is when Carter ran I was only 18 and didn't know any better.

But the point it, I despise Hillary Clinton, and never in a million years would have expected to actually vote for that loathsome, repulsive felon. In my opinion, she is the Democrats' Nixon. Up until a week ago, I was planning to sit this one out - but now, I absolutely am going to vote for whomever the Democrats nominate, even if it's her. You're right - I never would have voted Republican, but at least I wasn't planning to vote against you. And now, I most certainly, absolutely, unequivocally am going to do exactly that. And I guarantee you I am not the only one.

So go ahead, dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back over how much fun it's going to be to watch your party pour gasoline all over itself and set fire to themselves yet again. Enjoy your chuckle. And when you wake up on the morning of November 8th and ask yourself how in the world this could have possibly happened again, please refer back to this post.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:54 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,409,333 times
Quote:
Yeah, if anything, it helps the Republicans solidify and energize their base. Hell, I'm not even a Republican and I'm ecstatic that they're finally doing what they were elected to do!

Now if the argument is that Independents are somehow going to feel slighted, well, that's me and like I said, I'm ecstatic that they're putting the brakes on another Obama SC nominee.
They were elected to do their job. Their job is a up or down vote. Not this.

For those saying "just reject candidates" No. Thats not their job.

Their JOB is to look at a candidate and decide if he or she will make for a good supreme court justice. PERIOD.

Politicizing this in this specific manner is failing to do their job.

Look, why not just vote on candidates? If Obama keeps suggesting candidates that are unsuccessful because they are voted down because they are a bad choice? THATS doing your job. This is partisan politics that harm the country.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Ummm... no... because independents are less likely to vote for Republicans now; and more importantly this latest temper tantrum by the Republipunks is definitely going to energize and motivate a lot more liberal and liberal-leaning independents to vote against them than might have otherwise bothered to vote.

Every election, about 45% of the voters are going to vote for the Republican no matter what, and about 45% are going to vote for whatever Democrat is on the ballot. That's a given. The solid, dedicated base, the core of each party, pretty much cancel each other out. Most elections are won by whomever persuades the most independents to turn out, and energizes and motivates the most members of their own party who typically don't feel very strongly about either candidate and probably wouldn't have voted at all if there hadn't been some volatile and controversial issue that got them riled up and/or scared.

It's that 10% of people who "could have gone this way, could have gone that way, maybe even just stayed home and watched TV" who decide presidential elections. It's all about getting the attention of people who are already sympathetic to your position but not particularly motivated, and giving them a reason to get off the sofa and come out and vote. And whether or not Republipunks are bright enough to realize it, this is exactly the sort of issue that is going to get a lot of people out to vote - because they're sick and tired of this kind of crap, and they're going to be royally pissed off by it.

I'm one of them. I'm a liberal who votes in about 1 out of 3, maybe 1 out of 2 elections, and only when I'm really mad about something or when there's a liberal candidate I like, trust, and respect enough that I feel I can vote for them in good conscience. And the latter is very, very rare. I voted twice for Bill Clinton, once for Obama (fool me once shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me), and didn't vote at all in 00 or 04. Prior to that, Mondale and Carter were the only two Presidential ballots I ever cast, and all I can say is when Carter ran I was only 18 and didn't know any better.

But the point it, I despise Hillary Clinton, and never in a million years would have expected to actually vote for that loathsome, repulsive felon. In my opinion, she is the Democrats' Nixon. Up until a week ago, I was planning to sit this one out - but now, I absolutely am going to vote for whomever the Democrats nominate, even if it's her. You're right - I never would have voted Republican, but at least I wasn't planning to vote against you. And now, I most certainly, absolutely, unequivocally am going to do exactly that. And I guarantee you I am not the only one.

So go ahead, dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back over how much fun it's going to be to watch your party pour gasoline all over itself and set fire to themselves yet again. Enjoy your chuckle. And when you wake up on the morning of November 8th and ask yourself how in the world this could have possibly happened again, please refer back to this post.

And you can read the minds of independents? Why do liberals always seem to claim to KNOW what independents and conservatives think?

Why do you think that Trump and Sanders are resonating with American voters? American citizens are FED UP with business as usual and the dems running roughshod over the Constitution. Keep in mind that republicans did not turn out in large numbers for the 2012 election. Trump will generate record numbers. Hillary, on the other hand, given how she has treated Bernie, will not.

PS- You are no independent; if you truthfully examine your voting record, you will find that you vote democrat 80% of the time, maybe more.

Again, no one would expect a liberal like you to vote republican anyway, so it is no loss.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:17 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,504,232 times
Quote:
Yes! some semblance of a backbone from the Republicans, that's all we've been asking for...

McConnell: Senate won't act on Obama Supreme Court nominee - CNNPolitics.com

let the Democrat hypocrisy ensue!
More obstructionism by the Right. Anyone surprised?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_gHJc

Old 02-24-2016, 06:23 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,972,440 times
Quote:

Exactly. The mind games of the liberals won't work. Their faux concern for the political effect on Republicans in the coming election is touching. Thanks liberals, but forgive us if we don't take your "well intentioned" political advice to heart.

The WORST thing that the GOP could do would be to cave again and let Obama appoint a third unqualified LWNJ to the Supreme Court. The liberals know this, but believe that if they repeat the opposite enough, it will change things. It won't.

The irony of the situation is that Obama and the Democrats made this bed. Obama by totally failing to ever work meaningfully in good faith with the opposition party and the Democrats by starting and continuing the long tradition of blocking SCOTUS nominees, not to mention any other nominees they disagreed with like Miguel Estrada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies