Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 11:53 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The 1.3 million Brits living in other EU countries will be competing for jobs when they are forced to move back to UK. I suppose the 800K Polish workers who live in UK will vacate their jobs when they go back to Poland. Too bad they are mostly minimum wage positions.
20 April 2016,
UK unemployment rose by 21,000 to 1.7 million between December and February, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) says. UK unemployment rises to 1.7m - BBC News

Old 06-24-2016, 11:53 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
England isn't the one about to collapse.
Things will adjust to the new reality eventually if the Great Britain does in fact leave the EU(the referendum itself isn't actually legally binding). In the short term, fears of Brexit will lead to more stagflation and the pound can still go further down the loo. Much of the financial industry will find an exit to the continent. Scotland wants to leave the UK now, ditto for Northern Ireland who doesn't want more border restrictions with Ireland to the south. Little England will still be a charming place, it'll be fine over time though possibly not very significant in the grand scheme of things.

That's if Great Britain does leave the EU, it's not even certain that it happens and it could take several years or more before separation truly takes place.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:55 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This is a good window into what happens when ignorant people get caught up in a popular wave with little understanding of the long term ramifications. It's a wake up call to the U.S. currently in the grip of Trumpmania.
Americans have a worse deal than the Brits did. Yeah, Britain was flooded with immigrants, but the flip side was that the Brits were able to work and live anywhere in the EU.

For Americans, it's a lot more one-sided. Everyone else in the damn world can access the US market, but the average American is only able to work and live in the US. Even NAFTA doesn't apply much to the everyday American.

So Americans have a lot less to lose than the Brits do by scrapping their current system.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:56 AM

138 posts, read 112,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
What a load of garbage!!! Let me tell you how it really is, scooter.

Our nation was built by a collection of Euros who created our national foundation based on The Constitution, Black Slavery, Native American Extermination, Exploitation of Brown people, and immigration.

Whether you like it or not, these are the pillars of our existence. Without the Black Slavery, the extermination of Native Americans, exploitation of the Brown people and robust immigration, you Euros would have nothing........Nada........Zip.
Hahahahahahaha! Sorry, no white guilt over here. Go try your stance on a limp wristed millennial where it just might work.

And while blacks have their problems, no doubt, they are as much Americans as any other American with white skin, and most will tell you that. But I have ZERO allegiance to globo hordes who want nothing from America except to suck it's resources and alter it's values. Not gonna happen.

Last edited by EffortPoaster; 06-24-2016 at 12:07 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 11:56 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
LOL, liberals are on TV declaring there is going to be a massive war because of this.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:57 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Here it is for all to see folks. If you look out for your OWN interests, you are a nationalist, xenophobe, bigot. This is why the West is collapsing.
Where did I say looking out for one's own interests was wrong??????? I clearly stated that Nationalism, xenophobia and bigotry are wrong. I did not include "looking out for one's own interests. If you equate the two, then you are the small minded one, here.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
England is a global economic powerhouse. It will never be ignored or "cut off" from trade. It is simply too important to the global economic cycle for any of that to happen in any meaningful way. Any industrialized nation who bans trade with England, is essentially shooting themselves in the foot too. Will there be some changes in the processes? Yes, no doubts about it. But will trade continue in a meaningful and profitable way between England and her partners? Absolutely, without question.

What I am curious to see unfold is if Brexit is the entire sentence, or just the first word of a sentence not yet fully scripted. I honestly don't know. But if immigration is the primary driver for such a result, then I think it's just the first word with more to follow, including in my own country (US) and Trump in a few months time.

For the record, I really don't like either of my two presidential candidates.
You only mention England. What about the rest of the UK, which will be more likely to split apart due to Brexit.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:58 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Exactly. People are too dumb to realize that the majority of the "What happens now?" google searches were done by the 48% or 16M people who DIDN'T vote to exit and who never gave thought to it even being a possibility. I'm sure they were all over google trying to read up on this new and unexpected twist to their world, but no, lets just assume its a bunch of dummies who didn't realize what they were voting for.
Maybe they think only British citizens over voting age are able to access Google.com??

Old 06-24-2016, 11:59 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You only mention England. What about the rest of the UK?
Sorry, you know what I meant..

Old 06-24-2016, 11:59 AM

3,528 posts, read 6,530,477 times
At least 2000 voters wrote an X into BOTH boxes. Why in heck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies