Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 12:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
England is a global economic powerhouse. It will never be ignored or "cut off" from trade. It is simply too important to the global economic cycle for any of that to happen in any meaningful way. Any industrialized nation who bans trade with England, is essentially shooting themselves in the foot too. Will there be some changes in the processes? Yes, no doubts about it. But will trade continue in a meaningful and profitable way between England and her partners? Absolutely, without question.

What I am curious to see unfold is if Brexit is the entire sentence, or just the first word of a sentence not yet fully scripted. I honestly don't know. But if immigration is the primary driver for such a result, then I think it's just the first word with more to follow, including in my own country (US) and Trump in a few months time.

For the record, I really don't like either of my two presidential candidates.
There are more than two.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm continually astonished at the smugness of conservatives believing they know what's going on considering their response to attacks on the US was to invade/occupy a country they themselves told us time after time after time had nothing to do with those attacks.
Neither did Syria and Libya.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:23 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why do you think they will be forced to move anywhere?
They were EU citizens, which allowed them to live and work in other EU countries without a permit, but going forward they will not be EU citizens anymore, and therefore need to either get a permit, or leave. UK is also not a member of the Schengen area, which complicates it even further.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:23 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So now the banking industry has no value? Alrighty then.
What? That's not what I said and you know that. A nation can't survive on financial and banking gimmicks. They need to produce something worth something and EXPORT it. You know. GDP! Banking and financials don't add to GDP only making something actually useful for people to BUY domestically or EXPORT does. Importing goods from slave wage nations doesn't do a damn thing for it either. The only thing banking and financial gimmicks create are bubbles that burst and crash economies. That's EXACTLY where the US is since the Clinton admin did all that damage.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Things will adjust to the new reality eventually if the Great Britain does in fact leave the EU(the referendum itself isn't actually legally binding). In the short term, fears of Brexit will lead to more stagflation and the pound can still go further down the loo. Much of the financial industry will find an exit to the continent. Scotland wants to leave the UK now, ditto for Northern Ireland who doesn't want more border restrictions with Ireland to the south. Little England will still be a charming place, it'll be fine over time though possibly not very significant in the grand scheme of things.

That's if Great Britain does leave the EU, it's not even certain that it happens and it could take several years or more before separation truly takes place.
Wolf, wolf, wolf.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:24 PM

138 posts, read 112,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Where did I say looking out for one's own interests was wrong??????? I clearly stated that Nationalism, xenophobia and bigotry are wrong. I did not include "looking out for one's own interests. If you equate the two, then you are the small minded one, here.
Do you find it interesting that over two dozen Limousin Liberals are on record saying that if Trump wins they're moving to Canada, but no one wants to move to Mexico?

Old 06-24-2016, 12:25 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffortPoaster View Post
Do you find it interesting that over two dozen Limousin Liberals are on record saying that if Trump wins they're moving to Canada, but no one wants to move to Mexico?
^ Seriously

Old 06-24-2016, 12:25 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Keep in mind that Britons can live and work in Europe because of the EU (and vice versa). One of the major prongs of the "Leave" campaign was immigration policy, which will be tied to emigration policy, and will have to be negotiated with the EU.

When the "Leave" is formalized, EU citizens in Britain and British citizens in the EU could potentially become illegal immigrants.
Yep. Many have lived outside of UK for a long time with no intent of returning, and they might give up their UK citizenship (or get a dual one, but not all EU countries allow that) but I assume most will return to UK.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:26 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Including you.
I'm not a ********** and I have said that no one knows.

What IS your point?

Old 06-24-2016, 12:26 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I get the patriotic fervor and the fear of immigrants, but a country that voluntarily cuts itself off from free market access to 500 million customers did not know what it was doing.

Wow, wonder how I was able to buy a bottle of Evian in British Columbia a few days ago. Any ideas since you know what you are doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies