Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 08:20 AM

123 posts, read 144,605 times

Advertisements

What other presidential powers expire in the last year of a president's term? I have only been a U.S. citizen since 2014, and we never covered this in the material we had to study.

If Garland is qualified, confirm him. If he isn't qualified because he is against the 2nd Amendment, pro-abortion, or whatever other issue the Senate considers an acceptable reason for rejection, then hold the hearings and reject him. That's the Senate's job.

I live in Maryland, if a democrat-Senate do the same thing in the future to a Republican president, I will contact my senators and tell them to do their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 08:22 AM

13,698 posts, read 9,030,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
So you agree that it was wrong for Hillary, Kerry, Obama and Biden to filibuster Alito in 2006.... Check.
We must remember that the threat of a filibuster of Justice Alito was made after the judiciary committee's hearing, and after Alito's name was sent to the Senate for a full vote. The filibuster did not actually occur, due to lack of support.

Those who oppose Obama's nominee are welcome to filibuster, after a hearing is held and before the Senate vote.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:37 AM

57,402 posts, read 26,310,785 times
Quote:
So you agree that it was wrong for Hillary, Kerry, Obama and Biden to filibuster Alito in 2006.... Check.
There was no filibuster although some senators had threatened to do so, Alito was nominated on Oct 31, 2015 and confirmed Jan 31, 2016, pretty much on schedule.

There was a hearing and his appointment was not delayed.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:42 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,964,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And Obama chose a moderate that O Hatch specifically said he should pick.

Obama picked their way and they are still saying no.
It's Obama once again giving Republicans enough rope to hang themselves. If they confirm his nomination he wins. if they refuse to even hold hearings and consider the nominee then it severely damages them come November and may even cost them the Senate. McConnell and other Republicans have painted themselves into a corner here and there's no winning way out of it.

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 03-17-2016 at 09:00 AM..

Old 03-17-2016, 08:50 AM

13,698 posts, read 9,030,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
It's Obama once again giving Republicans enough rope to hang themselves. If they confirm his nomination he wins. if they refuse to even hold hearing s and consider the nominee then it severely damages them come November and may even cost them the Senate. McConnell and other Republicans have painted themselves into a corner here and there's no winning way out of it.

I agree. It would have been very easy for Senator McConnell to schedule a hearing; put it off under the guise of 'investigation'; reschedule the hearing; have the hearing; then, have the Senate vote the nominee down. They could have dragged this on until November, when Obama truly becomes a 'lame duck' president. Democrats would have screamed about the long process, but at least the Republicans could respond that they were following a process.

I still can't believe that said Senator came out with his statement about how the Senate would not even consider any nominee within two hours (if that) of Justice Scalia's death going public. I recall seeing the 'breaking news' about Scalia, followed very, very shortly by McConnell's declaration.

What in the world is happening with the GOP? Yet, if they lose the Presidency in November, as well as some Senate seats, they will probably proclaim that they lost because their failed candidates were 'not conservative enough'. Madness. March madness.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:55 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,097,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_indc View Post
What other presidential powers expire in the last year of a president's term? I have only been a U.S. citizen since 2014, and we never covered this in the material we had to study.
Whatever new rules the GOP invents when the opposition party holds the White House. They make it up as they go along.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:56 AM

Senators Flake and Hatch are suggesting hearings on Garland after the election, how does that make any sense at all.

But there is hope at least some of the republican senators have agreed to meet with Garland, I guess that passes for progress.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:59 AM

29,557 posts, read 19,670,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
We must remember that the threat of a filibuster of Justice Alito was made after the judiciary committee's hearing, and after Alito's name was sent to the Senate for a full vote. The filibuster did not actually occur, due to lack of support.
Very true

Quote:
Those who oppose Obama's nominee are welcome to filibuster, after a hearing is held and before the Senate vote.
They would need 3/5ths votes to filibuster a Supreme Court nominee, which they don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree. It would have been very easy for Senator McConnell to schedule a hearing; put it off under the guise of 'investigation'; reschedule the hearing; have the hearing; then, have the Senate vote the nominee down. They could have dragged this on until November, when Obama truly becomes a 'lame duck' president. Democrats would have screamed about the long process, but at least the Republicans could respond that they were following a process.

I still can't believe that said Senator came out with his statement about how the Senate would not even consider any nominee within two hours (if that) of Justice Scalia's death going public. I recall seeing the 'breaking news' about Scalia, followed very, very shortly by McConnell's declaration.

What in the world is happening with the GOP? Yet, if they lose the Presidency in November, as well as some Senate seats, they will probably proclaim that they lost because their failed candidates were 'not conservative enough'. Madness. March madness.
This is exactly what they should have done, but they are complete idiots.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Very true

They would need 3/5ths votes to filibuster a Supreme Court nominee, which they don't have.

This is exactly what they should have done, but they are complete idiots.
The only reason I can see for doing this is for some senators to appeal to their right wing voters, it would have been easier to just impose administrative delays to drag this out, it's pretty obvious they are appealing to a base that hates Obama.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:32 AM

59,262 posts, read 27,435,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Advise? Like saying this guy would be a good choice?

Obama's Merrick Garland Supreme Court Pick Calls GOP's Supreme Court Bluff - US News

Obama gave him exactly who he wanted, and he still says no vote.
"Hatch told us."

Gee, 1 repub who does NOT run the Senate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies