Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:53 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Biden WAS the Chairman of the Senate Judicial committee.

As chairman of that committee, what he says goes.

So, I will ask again, If H.Bush HAD nominated someone would the dems do what Biden said he would do?
Some put Biden's 1.5 hour speech at 20,000+ words.

No one ever quotes this from Biden's speech.
Quote:
I believe that so long as the public continues to split its confidence between the branches, compromise is the responsible course both for the White House and for the Senate.
Therefore I stand by my position, Mr. President. If the President consults and cooperates with the Senate or moderates his selections absent consultation, then his nominees
may enjoy my support as did Justices Kennedy and Souter.
REFORM OF THE CONFIRMATION PROCESS (Senate - June 25, 1992)

Even better -- Strom Thurmond responded to Biden's comments.
And these comments in turn contradict what later became the unofficial "Thurmond Rule."

Quote:
It is the President, not the majority leader, the minority leader, chairman or ranking member of the Judiciary Committee who has the responsibility for putting forth a Supreme Court nominee. Following the nomination, it is then the responsibility of the Senate to ensure that the individual possesses the necessary qualifications to serve on the highest Court in the land.

It is this process--a process which should not be changed for election year expediency--which has signified the majesty of our system of government and underscores the brilliance of our Founding Fathers.
Quote:
I welcome his willingness to ensure fairness at any possible nomination hearing for the Supreme Court.
RESPONSE TO SENATOR BIDEN'S REMARKS ON THE CONFIRMATION PROCESS OF SUPREME COURT NOMINEES (Senate - June 25, 1992)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 02:58 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Biden WAS the Chairman of the Senate Judicial committee.

As chairman of that committee, what he says goes.

So, I will ask again, If H.Bush HAD nominated someone would the dems do what Biden said he would do?
I don't think he would have followed through on his threat, I don't even know why he brought it up since there was no vacancy. He would not have been able to do this on his own regardless of the fact he was chairman. Congressmen have made many statements but never followed through, that is what makes this different.

Last edited by Goodnight; 03-17-2016 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-17-2016, 03:17 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Talk is cheap. If they follow through and do not confirm they are creating a big problem.

One which will be beaten over the heads of the 26 Republicans in the Senate up for re-election.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:51 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_indc View Post
What other presidential powers expire in the last year of a president's term? I have only been a U.S. citizen since 2014, and we never covered this in the material we had to study.

If Garland is qualified, confirm him. If he isn't qualified because he is against the 2nd Amendment, pro-abortion, or whatever other issue the Senate considers an acceptable reason for rejection, then hold the hearings and reject him. That's the Senate's job.

I live in Maryland, if a democrat-Senate do the same thing in the future to a Republican president, I will contact my senators and tell them to do their job.
It's too late for that. The well is poisoned beyond repair. There will be no further compromises on the Republican's part.
Obama is gaming the situation by submitting a supposed moderate Democrat judge, just to work the radicals and the media.
The Senate is doing its job as far as most Americans are concerned. Stimie Obama right to the end.
BTW, Harry the undertaker Reed looked too cool in his Ray Bans standing with Judge Garland. Looks like he just did a one-hitter with that grin.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
By not holding hearings they are not doing their job, putting constitutionality aside they are not performing the duties for which they were elected.

The democrats did not refuse to hold hearings, this is new ground.
Hope you have a box of tissues for all that crying.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:57 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Hope you have a box of tissues for all that crying.
Garland is the best option the Pubs have, and they're rejecting it.

He who cries last cries loudest.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Garland is the best option the Pubs have, and they're rejecting it.

He who cries last cries loudest.

Thanks, but we'll make that decision.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:05 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,188 times
Quote:
It's too late for that. The well is poisoned beyond repair. There will be no further compromises on the Republican's part.
They'll cave like always.
Quote:
Obama is gaming the situation by submitting a supposed moderate Democrat judge, just to work the radicals and the media.
That's one opinion.
Quote:
The Senate is doing its job as far as most Americans are concerned.
Prove it. Polls are mixed.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:21 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
The Senate is doing its job as far as most Americans are concerned. Stimie Obama right to the end.
BTW, Harry the undertaker Reed looked too cool in his Ray Bans standing with Judge Garland. Looks like he just did a one-hitter with that grin.
How is submitting a moderate with excellent credentials gaming the situation, America is tired of this monsense they want congress to compromise and do it's job not obstruct each other.

By the way if they think they are getting a clone replacement for Scalia even with a republican president they are in for a surprise next year.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:22 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Talk is cheap. If they follow through and do not confirm they are creating a big problem.

One which will be beaten over the heads of the 26 Republicans in the Senate up for re-election.
What is the big problem? Details please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies