Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 06:31 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,224,771 times

Advertisements

If you work for a company and you are a poor performer, you stand a good chance of getting fired or laid off at some point. What if a country did the same? If you, by the age of 30, hadn't worked or accomplished anything, you get deported. If you got convicted of a felony, you get deported.

Over time, the country's composition would change so that only productive citizens would remain. There would be no need for prisons and government spending would be vastly reduced with this high achieving population. The only question is where to send the under-performers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 06:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
If you work for a company and you are a poor performer, you stand a good chance of getting fired or laid off at some point. What if a country did the same? If you, by the age of 30, hadn't worked or accomplished anything, you get deported. If you got convicted of a felony, you get deported.

Over time, the country's composition would change so that only productive citizens would remain. There would be no need for prisons and government spending would be vastly reduced with this high achieving population. The only question is where to send the under-performers.
Who would be the judge and jury? To where would they be deported? And why is 30 the magic number? And what happens at retirement - deportation?

[]

Old 03-11-2016, 06:35 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Who would sell the government's drugs if we deported all felons?

Old 03-11-2016, 06:39 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:

You know economically I'm somewhere on the right of Donald Trump, I can reach out my right arm a little and touch Ayn Rands elbow, but even this makes me consider that the measure of a civilization is not how well the most capable are treated, but the least.

Why limit it to deportation, public executions would be far more motivating. Achieve success or die. It's easier too, you don't need to find a country that would accept what is considered to be American trash.

Of course the issue is how is success measured? Is the artist who struggles for 20 years with little income to later achieve a $50M payday a success? Are they more of a success than the person who works in a regular cookie cutter job, in a cookie cutter cube, who will retire and never even earn $50M in total across their working lifetime? If that artist achieve success after deportation, are they free to return? Would they want to?

Old 03-11-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You know economically I'm somewhere on the right of Donald Trump, I can reach out my right arm a little and touch Ayn Rands elbow, but even this makes me consider that the measure of a civilization is not how well the most capable are treated, but the least.

Why limit it to deportation, public executions would be far more motivating. Achieve success or die. It's easier too, you don't need to find a country that would accept what is considered to be American trash.

Of course the issue is how is success measured? Is the artist who struggles for 20 years with little income to later achieve a $50M payday a success? Are they more of a success than the person who works in a regular cookie cutter job, in a cookie cutter cube, who will retire and never even earn $50M in total across their working lifetime? If that artist achieve success after deportation, are they free to return? Would they want to?
Let's not change the subject to executions. If a player can't play for the Yankees or Red Sox, and has to go to the Marlins, that's not an execution. There's a country for everyone at every level.

And, yes, I should add that we will AGGRESSIVELY recruit and pay top dollar to bring in successful people from abroad. We will treat this country like we are the Yankees and try to be the best at everything.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Who would be the judge and jury? To where would they be deported? And why is 30 the magic number? And what happens at retirement - deportation?

[]
No, retirees who made it in this country would be heroes and treated accordingly.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:45 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
Certain fascists practiced just such a policy. Except they just killed the disabled, marginalized, etc. More efficient that way.

It's all about efficiency... right?

Old 03-11-2016, 06:49 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,330,332 times
All I can say to the OP is; "Don't bogart that joint my friend, pass it over to me..."

Old 03-11-2016, 06:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
No, retirees who made it in this country would be heroes and treated accordingly.
All right - respect for the elderly is good. Do stay-at-home-Moms (or Dads) get this respect, too? And what about the rest of my questions?

[]

Old 03-11-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
All right - respect for the elderly is good. Do stay-at-home-Moms (or Dads) get this respect, too? And what about the rest of my questions?

[]
They would be allowed to stay assuming they had worked or accomplished something previously. You can earn a permanent pass to stay by being successful even if it's for a short time period. Of course, if you then commit a felony afterwards, you're gone.

I don't think anybody would decide who stays, but we would have some objective criteria of success. Even a guy who holds a job at McDonald's for a year or two could stay because we still need service workers. We just don't want felons and unemployed losers.

I'm not sure where we'd deport them. That was the question I asked when I started the thread.

I appreciate your interest. I can see this movement is gaining steam already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies