Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 09:15 AM

5,127 posts, read 2,604,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I couldn't agree more about a government with a calibrated moral compass. Once upon a time we could look to the Republicans as the party of fiscal responsibility. Instead, we now have Republicans setting up huge tax breaks for the wealthy and global corporations who take the money and run elsewhere, leaving the American worker to panhandle on the streets.

still peddling this lie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 09:26 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,082,642 times
Has Apple brought back all that cash yet?

You would think they would announce it wouldn't you?

Old 03-16-2018, 09:45 AM

38,649 posts, read 26,435,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Rasmussen is a joke. It does not call cell phones, so basically their sample consists of old white people.

Old white people are the group most likely to actually show up on election day.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:45 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,956,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
still peddling this lie?
Still can't see the forest because of all those trees?

The tax breaks for the middle class are only temporary, and a few years from now we are all going to look at our paychecks and be unpleasantly surprised. Meanwhile, the tax breaks for the upper 1% and global corporations are permanent. We are looking at a future where the deficit will be up by 2 or 3 trillion dollars and spending on essentials like education will be stripped to the bones.

Maybe you weren't born yet when NAFTA was implemented, but I was around to see the circus show. My hometown used to be an icon for the microelectronics manufacturing industry. NAFTA was passed and HP, Apple et al couldn't flee the USA fast enough. I saw my friends go from good jobs in manufacturing to working in call center hells for minimum wage.

The only thing I see being done to reform NAFTA and the rest is Trump telling lies to our allies in Canada. Lies are not going to bring back HP to Colorado Springs or steel back to Pittsburg.

Wake up, already.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 03-16-2018 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-16-2018, 09:49 AM

40,976 posts, read 49,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Even at his highest he is still LOW.
And even at the low he is higher than any other Politician in Congress. Everything must be kept in perspective.

46% is excellent for any politician. It's like a baseball player batting 330.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:59 AM

38,649 posts, read 26,435,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
This.

I couldn't agree more about a government with a calibrated moral compass. Once upon a time we could look to the Republicans as the party of fiscal responsibility. Instead, we now have Republicans setting up huge tax breaks for the wealthy and global corporations who take the money and run elsewhere, leaving the American worker to panhandle on the streets.

Once upon a time, we could look to the Democrats for compassionate programs to help our own countrymen in times of need. Now we have a federal and state government drowning in paperwork with the people who genuinely need help getting buried while those who actually could better themselves rely on federal programs instead.

What we have now is a spendthrift government with taxpayers money subsidizing billionaires and programs for the poor which are hand OUTS instead of hand UPS.

The middle class and the working class are funding special interests and paying for programs that only bring the country down. At this point in time, we are NOT MAGA. Rather, we have become a comedy show to our allies, a pushover for N. Korea and China and new BFF's with Putin who would love to bring America down.

What's wrong with this picture? Let me count the ways...

Actually, past cuts to the top rate have almost always occurred when Democrats controlled both houses of Congress.

1964, top rate cut from 91% to 77%
1965, top rate cut from 77% to 70%
1982, top rate cut from 70% to 50% (Republican Senate)
1987, top rate cut from 50% to 38.5%
1988, top rate cut from 38.5% to 33%
1991, top rate cut from 33% to 31%

Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
How come nobody -- including Trump -- is talking about this?

I wonder why?

Hmmmm.
Why would we be talking about it?
His ratings largely haven't budged much from the high 30s to around 40 percent for months.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

Do you have a point to make?

Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 AM

25,640 posts, read 17,379,102 times
I put the poster who said Rasmussen was a joke on ignore, but because he was quoted I "got" to read one of his posts.

Rasmussen got the 2016 presidential race right. No, they did not call the winner, but they did call the vote correctly. Here 'tis.
They called Clinton up by 1.7. She won by 2.0.

Today, Rasmussen shows 47% approval for Trump.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:13 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I put the poster who said Rasmussen was a joke on ignore, but because he was quoted I "got" to read one of his posts.

Rasmussen got the 2016 presidential race right. No, they did not call the winner, but they did call the vote correctly. Here 'tis.
They called Clinton up by 1.7. She won by 2.0.
As did most polls. National polling was never the issue.

Rasmussen has been an outlier for a while, though, in relation to Trump's ratings.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:17 AM

25,640 posts, read 17,379,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
As did most polls. National polling was never the issue.

Rasmussen has been an outlier for a while, though, in relation to Trump's ratings.
There were only 3 pollsters who got it right. Rasmussen was one.

Your other point is spot on; Rasmussen consistently shows a higher approval rating that other outfits. But Rasmussen is the only pollster who relies on 'likely voters' as opposed to 'registered voters' or (shudder) 'adults'.
My own view is that pollsters who rely on 'adults' should be ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies