Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
A 4% rise in inflation? Don't you mean a 1% rise? Items are often $1.99 etc...not $1.96 etc, aren't they?
In fact though - I think companies would compete to advertise they'd rounded down.
Possibly (about the companies competing via "rounding down"), however, the penny represents a single basis point within our monetary structure. Doing away with it in favor of figures denominated in units of five would create a 4% 'devaluative' spread.

5 (-6,7,8,9) 10 (-11,12,13,14) 15 (-16,17,18,19) and so on.

Re-standardizing the basis of our domestic commerce into units of five as would attrit four singular units of one before reaching another standard unit of 5. This would represent a devaluation of four intermediary basis points per new standard of five, or, 4%.

(hooray 4 math!)

Given the present toilet-paper status of the dollar, I don't think we should really toss another 4% on top of what we're already dealing with.

Quote:
I'd have thought the dollar would be the "cornerstone" of our currency? The debt we owe China etc is denominated in dollars, not pennies, isn't it?
Oh come on...
The penny is the basis unit of our currency.
All other higher denominations rely on it.

Last edited by LM1; 02-10-2008 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 08:29 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Yes, yes, pls, yes. Stop making the daggone thing. Use 'em to pay off our nat'l debt, adjust sales prices to round to the nearest 5 cents, etc.

Please show me the nincompoop who favors keeping the penny.
better yet, let's get the hel* out of iraq and slash the military's budget if you seriously want to pay off the national debt.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:32 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Possibly (about the companies competing via "rounding down"), however, the penny represents a single basis point within our monetary structure. Doing away with it in favor of figures denominated in units of five would create a 4% 'devaluative' spread.

5 (-6,7,8,9) 10 (-11,12,13,14) 15 (-16,17,18,19) and so on.

Re-standardizing the basis of our domestic commerce into units of five as would attrit four singular units of one before reaching another standard unit of 5. This would represent a devaluation of four intermediary basis points per new standard of five, or, 4%.

(hooray 4 math!)

Given the present toilet-paper status of the dollar, I don't think we should really toss another 4% on top of what we're already dealing with.

Oh come on...
The penny is the basis unit of our currency.
All other higher denominations rely on it.
I've got one flaw in your argument. The penny represents one cent. There's a difference between saying that we are going to stop circulating pennies and that we are going to eliminate one cent from a possible transaction cost.

It's entirely possible to retain cents for electronic transactions, where we even deal with fractions of cents for some transactions (think gasoline retailers 9/10ths of a cent practices). Any physical currency transactions would require rounding, where the consumer would most likely take a hit, rounding up when paying and getting rounded down when receiving change.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Yes, do away with it. I am wondering about melting mine down if I can sell the sopper for more than a penny.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:45 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Yes, do away with it. I am wondering about melting mine down if I can sell the sopper for more than a penny.
fyi, pennies have not been made of copper since 1982! they are now made of zinc. listen to the sound of a pre-1982 penny and a modern one and cmpare the weight of each. you'll notice the difference.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:10 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Do away with taxes and make marked prices multiples of nickels or dimes. Or make marked prices in a way that the taxed price comes out to a multiple of a nickel or a dime. I really don't understand why this has never been done in full scale.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Lets get rid of bank checks as well. A bank card is quicker and you dont have to worry about bounce, forge or counterfeits checks any more.

Offer free training for the older population for free classes up to a year on how to use a bank card for shopping and paying bills.

I actually would like to see all paper and coin money to be done away with but things like girl scout cookies, street performers, taxis, etc I could be problematic.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:53 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post

It's entirely possible to retain cents for electronic transactions, where we even deal with fractions of cents for some transactions (think gasoline retailers 9/10ths of a cent practices). Any physical currency transactions would require rounding, where the consumer would most likely take a hit, rounding up when paying and getting rounded down when receiving change.
Office Space!!!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Lets get rid of bank checks as well. A bank card is quicker and you dont have to worry about bounce, forge or counterfeits checks any more.

Offer free training for the older population for free classes up to a year on how to use a bank card for shopping and paying bills.

I actually would like to see all paper and coin money to be done away with but things like girl scout cookies, street performers, taxis, etc I could be problematic.
Disagree, though I agree that society is clearly evolving towards electronic commerce vs the use of cash money, I believe this has significantly contibuted to the disconnect which has resulted in such poor personal money management and savings rates.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:02 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Disagree, though I agree that society is clearly evolving towards electronic commerce vs the use of cash money, I believe this has significantly contibuted to the disconnect which has resulted in such poor personal money management and savings rates.
Absolutely. Studies have shown that people send more on goods when they are using credit or debit cards than when they pay cash. It's one of the tools that Dave Ramsey teaches in his money management system, where people are taught to budget and use cash envelopes for each category of spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies