Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:38 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon7366 View Post
Those "brutal dictators" in Iraq and Libya were able to keep the peace.
Yep. I'm not a fan of brutal dictators.. and Saddam was definitely that ... but he did keep a lid on Sunni extremism. Experts who understand the region warned that something like ISIS would rise if you deposed him. Really, the only way to stop them is going to be another dictator. We should have just stuck with the dictator we had. He was so cute and cuddly and totally harmless to world security after the stunt he pulled back in '91. I will forever praise HW's handling of the situation and forever damn W's (Cheney's).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 10:39 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Terrorist attack kills innocent people, many of whom are probably against the mass migration out of the ME.
There will be the speeches from leaders of countries denouncing terrorism.
There might even be a solidarity march to show those terrorists that Europe is not afraid of them.
And then we all wait until the next attack and start all over again.

Over and over and over and over, like a broken record.
Europe and our pathetic leader will make excuses for Islamic terrorists, compare them to the Crusaders, blame the victims for "racism" and talk about how "not all Muslims are terrorists". Oh and our POS of an AG will threaten to throw anyone in prison that even points out that these were Islamists that committed these acts. Today's western leaders make Chamberlin look like he had balls.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:40 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
I don't really care what happens to Europe. As long as the PC pols there defend muslims as 'peaceful', they'll keep getting what they're getting.

Don't vote for pols that want to replicate the problem here.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Eh. I hate to sound crass, but more troops died in a week in Vietnam (or in a day in World War II) then died in all of the Iraq War. Caused mayhem??? The Middle East has ALWAYS been in mayhem and war.
Yep, we did two regime changes. Just like dozens of times before in US history. Count up all the regime changes all over the world, just in the last century!
None of this was new.

And here at home, of course, well..............we DID have to start taking our shoes off at the airport....
Yet, you do. Troops sustained injuries at similar rates in Iraq and Vietnam, but the vast improvements in battlefield medicine made what would have been a fatality in the earlier war just a casualty in the later one. Better to be alive and injured than dead, but what is the best of all is to be healthy and whole and not to have sacrificed anything to a useless conflict that actually made matters worse.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:44 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Yet, you do. Troops sustained injuries at similar rates in Iraq and Vietnam, but the vast improvements in battlefield medicine made what would have been a fatality in the earlier war just a casualty in the later one. Better to be alive and injured than dead, but what is the best of all is to be healthy and whole and not to have sacrificed anything to a useless conflict that actually made matters worse.
Actually, I will use your argument to bolster mine. These terror attacks like the one today will change NOTHING, and that is at least in part because the "war response" in Iraq and Afghanistan has not gone well. That was just one more nail in the coffin. We will do NOTHING as a result of attacks like these. They are now routine and will become even more routine. And bigger.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:47 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
The useless war is one that is not practiced Mongol style.

If one is to fight, fight to win as brutally, and quickly, as capability allows.

Or don't fight at all.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canterburyale View Post
Im voting for Trump who opposed that War. IDid you know Hillary voted to fund it. The European refugee crisis didn't exist when Bush was in office. I suppose you'll still be voting for Hillary though.
Yeah, I'm still voting for Hillary, but believe me I wasn't pleased with her or the rest of the Democrats' vote. I was opposed to the war by 11 a.m. on 9/11 -- that's when it occurred to me that W was going to be a complete jackass and do something retarded to retaliate.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:52 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Unfortunately 911 changed an awful lot, it led to a ridiculously unwise "war" in Iraq which kicked the hornets nest of radical Islam.

Overreacting to bad things brings worse things.
So at what point do you react? Turning a blind eye to what ISIS has now become is just going to make matters worse.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Europe and our pathetic leader will make excuses for Islamic terrorists, compare them to the Crusaders, blame the victims for "racism" and talk about how "not all Muslims are terrorists". Oh and our POS of an AG will threaten to throw anyone in prison that even points out that these were Islamists that committed these acts. Today's western leaders make Chamberlin look like he had balls.
They'll do nothing of the sort. Belgium will do exactly what it did after the Paris attacks and put every single law enforcement officer on the street in a mass sting operation. They won't target "Muslims" or advocate for invading a non aligned country, but they will sweep up the criminals. Wish we would have had the same approach after 9/11.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Sorry but one man didn't make this decision. Surely even you can agree to that.

The UN Security Council agreed that diplomacy wasn't working and ok'd an invasion in spite of not having enough votes. Think about that one.
Britain also said they had evidence of WMDs only they never produced it either.
I hate to reduce world affairs to US politics, but in this case, yeah, it was pretty much W's fault. The world did go along with it, and shame on them, but do you think any other person sitting in the White House would have used 9/11 as a pretext to invade Iraq?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies