Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Well, sorry, but that's some crackpot stuff right there.
https://www.michigan.gov/corrections...8247--,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:06 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Keep in mind that in many of these poor areas middle class is non-existent and as is the case in Ferguson it is a predominately white government and police force.
If you read through the DOJ report on Ferguson it give you a good idea what is going on there and in other cities and it is almost always disportionately black and minorities. Blacks are arrested in far greater amounts than whites for marijuana use, why is that?

This is an editorial but it gives you a good summary of the report:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/op...is-county.html
Exactly. You take a town like Ferguson, which is mostly poor black people, and then we're supposed to be shocked or something when most of the citations in that town go to poor black people?
Yes, I've seen that DOJ report on Ferguson. Apparently the police were giving out traffic citations in that town. And then subjecting them to a "Byzantine" court that convenes in the early evening. Oh, the horror.

Last edited by fat lou; 03-28-2016 at 07:16 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 10:58 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Pretty much none of them. Holder and Obama at Timmy Geithner's urging refused to prosecute.

As alluded to a few posts earlier, I'm not a fan of vast generalizations that really says nothing.

Or maybe they need higher placed friends that will simply commute their sentences like Scooter had?

Those aren`t "vast generalizations."

Those are statistical realities.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:34 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
I have a better idea - let's make it legal to shoot on sight anyone you catch stealing your stuff. Front, back, side - make it OK to chase them down the street and shoot them in the back.

Trust me, knock a few hoodrats and meth heads off and the rest will stop preying on the rest of us.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:48 AM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Exactly. You take a town like Ferguson, which is mostly poor black people, and then we're supposed to be shocked or something when most of the citations in that town go to poor black people?
Yes, I've seen that DOJ report on Ferguson. Apparently the police were giving out traffic citations in that town. And then subjecting them to a "Byzantine" court that convenes in the early evening. Oh, the horror.

There are also poor white people in Ferguson but they don't seem to get arrested and fined as do blacks. Also doing jail time over a traffic violation, reading through this cases gives you a good idea of the flavor in the police dept and court system.

Quote:
A 90-year-old man had a warrant issued for his arrest after he failed to timely pay the five citations FPD issued to him during a single traffic stop in 2013. An 83-year-old man had a warrant issued against him when he failed to timely resolve his Derelict Auto violation. A 67-year-old woman told us she was stopped and arrested by a Ferguson police officer for an outstanding warrant for failure to pay a trash-removal citation. She did not know about the warrant until her arrest, and the court ultimately charged her $1,000 in fines, which she continues to pay off in $100 monthly increments despite being on a limited, fixed income. We have heard similar stories from dozens of other individuals and have reviewed court records documenting many additional instances of similarly harsh penalties, often for relatively minor violations.

Department of Justice Ferguson Report Revealed - The Atlantic

Page 62 indicates the data on racial profiling.
Quote:
African Americans experience disparate impact in nearly every aspect of Ferguson’s law enforcement system. Despite making up 67% of the population, African Americans accounted for 85% of FPD’s traffic stops, 90% of FPD’s citations, and 93% of FPD’s arrests from 2012 to 2014. Other statistical disparities, set forth in detail below, show that in Ferguson
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]https://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...ent_report.pdf

Old 03-29-2016, 07:17 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
The problem with the Ferguson investigation is the politics that created it. I have no doubt it makes some legitimate points and that some were treated differently than others BUT NYC singled out blacks for years and not a word was said by this administration.

What happened to Eric Garner was far more offensive IMO than what happened in Ferguson, but where were was the justice department?

Old 03-29-2016, 07:51 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are also poor white people in Ferguson but they don't seem to get arrested and fined as do blacks. Also doing jail time over a traffic violation, reading through this cases gives you a good idea of the flavor in the police dept and court system.

Department of Justice Ferguson Report Revealed - The Atlantic,

Page 62 indicates the data on racial profiling.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]https://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...ent_report.pdf
As is pointed out in the article, disparate impact is proof of nothing, and isn't even the legal standard. If a town is 70% black, then do 70% of citations have to be given to black people, I guess? What would suffice for evidence of discrimination? 71%? 75%?

But I don't know why I'm bothering. Some people just love to think that black people are being put down by the evil white man, and will go to any lengths to justify their claims. Don't let me spoil your fun.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:43 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
WOW

AG Loretta Lynch wants to let nation break law without consequences | New York Post

"As New York moves to decriminalize low-level offenses, arguing enforcement is “rigged against communities of color,” other large cities are coming under pressure from the Justice Department to do the same thing.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch has issued a warning to municipal and state judges across the country that their courts could lose federal funding if they don’t ease up on fines and arrest warrants for minor crimes involving poor offenders, indigent minorities in particular."

The ignorant do not understand, we may be a nation of laws, but those laws which number in the millions, have to be enforced, or they are just "feel good legislation" to shut the people up, for a few more years.
Law after law, layers upon layers of legislation and none of it ever meant to be enforced.

The only people free, are those capable of buying off the law that is placed upon them.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
As is pointed out in the article, disparate impact is proof of nothing, and isn't even the legal standard. If a town is 70% black, then do 70% of citations have to be given to black people, I guess? What would suffice for evidence of discrimination? 71%? 75%?

But I don't know why I'm bothering. Some people just love to think that black people are being put down by the evil white man, and will go to any lengths to justify their claims. Don't let me spoil your fun.
Ferguson didn't even fight the lawsuit brought by DOJ, you can dismiss those numbers all you want but those numbers are pretty glaring not to mention the details of many of the cases. The Sheriffs and administrators publically admitted that this was just a money making venture and they are not the only city in the nation doing the same.

Blacks were arrested 93% of the time, make your case for that one.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The ignorant do not understand, we may be a nation of laws, but those laws which number in the millions, have to be enforced, or they are just "feel good legislation" to shut the people up, for a few more years.
Law after law, layers upon layers of legislation and none of it ever meant to be enforced.

The only people free, are those capable of buying off the law that is placed upon them.
Fine just enforce them equally, start off with marijuana arrests where whites are far under represented. Maybe they just smoke a lot less than black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies