Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 10:39 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
I'm not American and I haven't been up-to-date on the #BlackLivesMatter movement for quite some time. However, I find it hard to believe that anyone could be "so offended" by the slogan alone.

Pulling the "I'm offended" card is just politically correct for "I feel uncomfortable that black folks are standing up for themselves". Perhaps that comes from some subconscious expectation or bias that minorities are to keep quiet and stay in their place.

I could be misunderstanding the issue as I think differently to Americans, but that's my theory based on what I know.
You aren't misunderstanding. I think that the bolded is exactly what it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 10:43 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Black lives matter not just in law enforcement problems-- but in the US period-.. where people want to regress before the 60's
not happening
BLM actually does Quite a few things besides advocating for police violence within the black community.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:49 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I knew that somewhere threw this thread that Black on Black crime would be brought up. There fore it helps me to understand that most people still have no clue as to why blacklivesmatter was created.

Y'all basically telling people they should accept police officers who are suppose to serve and protect that it' okay to kill unarmed black citizens because blacks kill blacks. It don't work like that. They're plenty of Community Organizations that are working on these black on black crime issues. The rate that Police officers are killing black unarmed citizens is crazy and then they just getting away with it. Blacks are more likely to be killed by police being unarmed than whites.

Young black men killed by US police at highest rate in year of 1,134 deaths | US news | The Guardian
You may want to double check your facts:

Wisconsin trooper faced down a gunman who planned to go out fighting | The Washington Post

[quote]
Of the 800 people killed by police this year, almost half (50%) have been white, a quarter have been black (25%) and one-sixth have been Hispanic.[quote]

It surely looks like police are shooting more whites both in absolute number and ratio!

Old 03-29-2016, 10:55 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
The irony is that BlackLivesMatter has made life for blacks much worse as has Obama. BLM protests result in chaos and greatly increased crime where they go which mostly affects blacks but some blacks also commit violence against whites because of the rhetoric of BLM.

The truth is that BLM has a far worse affect for blacks in the USA than does the KKK for example. Since Obama has been President, we have seen the largest income and especially wealth gap explode between blacks and whites in our history post slavery. He's been great for whites like myself but he has really sucked for the average black person.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:55 AM

[quote=lifeexplorer;43525831]You may want to double check your facts:

Wisconsin trooper faced down a gunman who planned to go out fighting | The Washington Post

[quote]
Of the 800 people killed by police this year, almost half (50%) have been white, a quarter have been black (25%) and one-sixth have been Hispanic.
Quote:

It surely looks like police are shooting more whites both in absolute number and ratio!
You may want to check your facts because whites are usually killed because they are armed and retaliate back at police. Blacks are being killed at a higher rate while being UNARMED! Than whites that's the issue. I was waiting on someone to bring this up about whites being killed more than blacks.

Police killed more than 100 unarmed black people in 2015

Old 03-29-2016, 11:01 AM

78,427 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Anyone who doubts racism exists need only read this thread to see otherwise.

One step forward, fifty back.
Racism absolutely exists. I mean heck it was just 2008 when the Hillary supporters were called racist.

But hey, now since she's not running against Obama she's getting most of the black vote because *duh* we all know that Bernie Sanders and his supporters are racist....oooooh and don't like women either.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:01 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
[quote=Staysean23;43525940][quote=lifeexplorer;43525831]You may want to double check your facts:

Quote:
Of the 800 people killed by police this year, almost half (50%) have been white, a quarter have been black (25%) and one-sixth have been Hispanic.

You may want to check your facts because whites are usually killed because they are armed and retaliate back at police. Blacks are being killed at a higher rate while being UNARMED! Than whites that's the issue. I was waiting on someone to bring this up about whites being killed more than blacks.

Police killed more than 100 unarmed black people in 2015
Please explain how it supports your argument. Even I use your number, it still doesn't support your argument.

For example, "37% of unarmed people killed by police were black in 2015 despite black people being only 13% of the U.S. population."

No surprise, 40% of the convicts are black. So 37% of people killed by police were black is within the range.

Also when does unarmed = no dangerous?

Old 03-29-2016, 11:03 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
hmhm and you all still wonder why they protest -?
I do.

what does an anonymous poster moving away have to do with their protests?

Old 03-29-2016, 11:33 AM

[quote=lifeexplorer;43526031][quote=Staysean23;43525940]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You may want to double check your facts:

Please explain how it supports your argument. Even I use your number, it still doesn't support your argument.

For example, "37% of unarmed people killed by police were black in 2015 despite black people being only 13% of the U.S. population."

No surprise, 40% of the convicts are black. So 37% of people killed by police were black is within the range.

Also when does unarmed = no dangerous?
Majority of those cases the black men didn't pose a threat to the officers. Just because of the violence happening within the black community still doesn't give officers a right to kill especially if they didn't pose a threat and in to many cases it's shown that majority of these incidents blacks didn't pose a threat

Black people are three times more likely to be killed by police in the United States than white people and it's not because they are more violent. It's the same way blacks are more likely to be arrested for drugs charges even though whites sell an use drugs at the same rate.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:47 AM

1,431 posts, read 913,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
This is the kind of thing you get when you let liberals feed the animals. They do not use it to pull them self up they become dependent on free food. Black culture wants to be an entitled class. They want every thing free. The Dems have tried their level best to buy votes from minority's.
Feed the animals? Lol. This whole comment is hilarious. I quoted it just so other people see how stupid it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Remember: "Black is Beautiful" and "I am somebody," probably not if you are too young. Do those slogans mean white people are not beautiful or white people are not somebody? These types of slogans are as old as spirituals and reach Black Americans from their own vantage point. Sure, in the ivory towers and among the neat suburbs black lives matter like all the rest, but too many black people in America don't get to see all the rest. They live in a world that is nearly 100% black and from their vantage they need to be reminded or told, "You are beautiful, you are somebody and your life does matter.
No they don't. Who are we convincing? Ourselves? That sounds weak-minded to me. I don't need some outside influence telling me "uplifting" things about myself.

Quote:
And for good reason we don't trust black people. Until blacks start to clean up their rotten culture filled with violence drugs and disgusting screw em and leave em daddys and quit blaming anyone but where the problem is then it will never get better. Old saying own your own crap.
There are white meth addicts that have the same exact habits. It's not a race thing; it's more of a economic class thing. Coincidentally, more black folks aren't in the upper echelons of this country's society. Therein lies the problem.

Quote:
No one, no white person owes any black person living a damn thing because of what someone did 160 years ago. I don't give a tinkers damn that some white guy owned some black guy 150 to 200 years ago. Ancient history and does not mean a damn thing today. Get over it. Quit using it to try to get a free meal. Its no different then putting a cockroach in your soup to get a free meal. You Blacks are trying to get more for free. If you worked half as hard at work as many do for getting free soup you would be rich.
Ancient history? Get a free meal? Putting a cockroach in your soup?

I can't tell if you're a troll or really this ignorant. Here's something you may not know: we all don't think alike. And there are a lot of us better off than you. You'll probably need the free food before we do, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Because of a very conscious, deliberate, and systematic program of erasing all vestiges and connections to the native cultures of the blacks transported to the US as slaves. Had the slaves been permitted to continue speaking their native languages, worshipping in their native religions, assembling in their native groups, maintaining their native family lineages...that might have happened.
This makes sense. But since that didn't happen and we can't fix it, what do we do going forward?

Quote:
hmhm and you all still wonder why they protest -?
If white people move away from me, I don't care. Why are we always so focused on how white people perceive us? I think this signifies the whole "white man's ice was colder" mentality, but that's another topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Completely false, African Americans can and should stand up for their rights and equal treatment under the law. Just don't try to elevate your lives over the lives of others, THAT is the problem
That's racism if you think your race is superior to another, no matter how you try to justify it. Just wanted to point that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I don't think it is that noteworthy that disenfranchised, poorly educated people who don't have access to resources have used criminal activity as a viable resource. What is more noteworthy is the amount of crime among the most privileged population. It speaks volumes when one class of people commit crimes out of need and another group commits crimes because they may have a psychological predisposition.
That's silly. Why isn't it noteworthy? You're basically writing it off as normal, which is part of our problem. I'm pretty sure I'm more "ghetto" and more "hood" than majority of the black posters on C-D, but I don't involve myself in that stuff anymore because I realized it wasn't gonna get me anywhere.

It also speaks volumes when we think that people commit crimes out of "need". Explain this logic. Do black folks need to sell drugs? Do black folks need to gangbang?

I remember listening to Lloyd Banks (rapper) when I was younger. He said this line in a song that resonated with me ever since I was 15: "You either play ball or rap if you ain't dealing". It made so much sense because it was true. All my friends were football/basketball players, musicians, or d-boys/bangers. Then I removed myself from that environment when I graduated (barely), and thought about it some more. If I was able to remove myself from the environment, why can't other people do the same?

Quote:
I knew that somewhere threw this thread that Black on Black crime would be brought up. There fore it helps me to understand that most people still have no clue as to why blacklivesmatter was created.

Y'all basically telling people they should accept police officers who are suppose to serve and protect that it' okay to kill unarmed black citizens because blacks kill blacks. It don't work like that. They're plenty of Community Organizations that are working on these black on black crime issues. The rate that Police officers are killing black unarmed citizens is crazy and then they just getting away with it. Blacks are more likely to be killed by police being unarmed than whites.

Young black men killed by US police at highest rate in year of 1,134 deaths | US news | The Guardian
Naw, that's not what they're getting at. What they're saying is that we have a much higher chance of being killed by other black folks than by cops.

Let's be honest for a minute. How many times do you really get pulled over by cops (to even be put at risk of getting shot)? And how many officers shoot up people that comply and treat them in a courteous manner? From my experience, the cop will let you go 9/10 times with a warning if you treat them respectfully, even if they did initially stop you for no reason. And this has been the case for me in both phases of life, back when I had dreads/gold teeth/sagging pants and now when I wear business-casual clothing.

Quote:
BLM actually does Quite a few things besides advocating for police violence within the black community.
Like what? Do they fundraise in black communities to improve them? Do they teach young black kids on how to interact with police in order to mitigate adverse actions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Racism absolutely exists. I mean heck it was just 2008 when the Hillary supporters were called racist.

But hey, now since she's not running against Obama she's getting most of the black vote because *duh* we all know that Bernie Sanders and his supporters are racist....oooooh and don't like women either.
Don't get me started on HRC and that "I don't feel no ways tired" pandering she does toward black folks. It's insulting and I actually find that more racist than someone telling me to my face that they don't like black folks. At least I know what I'm dealing with in the latter scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies