Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 09:48 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,130,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Hey man, the Christians bring it on themselves. If they weren't so hateful, intolerant & judgemental, they wouldn't be getting the backlash they so richly deserve. It's called having a reaction. When someone keeps getting beat down over & over, you don't expect some fight back?
Hey man, bigotry by Christians is wrong, and so is bigotry towards Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 09:51 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,287,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
The bill had nothing do with gays, all it said was religious business had right too and that you can't sue because your feeling was hurt. It all about the exetreme attacking a business on purpose just to sue
The law said that businesses, government employees, and state funded orgs can deny services based on their beliefs that marriage is one man and one woman.
Sure that doesn't mean gays.

They were very careful to not use the word, but if you can deny service based on one being married or having sex with someone of the same sex, then that would mean only one thing.

Quote:
The sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions protected by this act are the belief or conviction that:
(a) Marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman;
(b) Sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage;
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/doc...9/HB1523SG.pdf

Old 04-07-2016, 09:51 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,824,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Nonsense... The bill protects legitimate religious objections.

Stop being such a Drama Queen. You don't even live in that state.
The bill does no such thing. The only thing it accomplished is destroying the state's economy and making everyone view North Caroliners as even more backwards than they were before.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Teaching about Islam in our schools is considered appropriate, while teaching about Christianity is discouraged. Being homosexual is taught as an "alternative lifestyle", while the "Christian lifestyle" is not taught. I could go on, but you get the point.
Teaching about any religion is ok. How do you teach most of the worlds history without teaching about the religious beliefs of the area or time?

Being homosexual is taught along side of being heterosexual, religion is not the same as sexual orientation. Generally sexual orientation is covered in sex ed class, teaching religion in sex ed makes no sense.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:11 PM

900 posts, read 378,790 times
Supreme Court probably will invade all these laws .

Old 04-07-2016, 12:13 PM

41,458 posts, read 60,007,217 times
Are you saying that they teach about sex in schools? I thought kids learned that from the pervert down the street or behind the pulpit.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Are you saying that they teach about sex in schools? I thought kids learned that from the pervert down the street or behind the pulpit.
You're right. I forgot this is Mississippi and we don't even teach about condoms here.

#1 in teen pregnancy! Abstinence only for the win!

Old 04-07-2016, 12:22 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,572,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Teaching about Islam in our schools is considered appropriate, while teaching about Christianity is discouraged. Being homosexual is taught as an "alternative lifestyle", while the "Christian lifestyle" is not taught. I could go on, but you get the point.
really. so you're saying Christianity is not taught while other religions are? where?

newsflash, being gay in NO WAY ON THIS EARTH infringes on your rights as a Christian or a human being.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,525,668 times
I'm surprised nobody is mentioning how this religious exemption could be turned against people who might never think it could affect them.

Say I started my "Mississippi Church of the Holy Gays" last week. I'm the self-appointed pastor and I'm an OBY-GYN at the local hospital. A pregnant woman comes in with internal bleeding from a car accident. I refuse to operate on her because according to my new religion, I only operate on Lesbians on Tuesday as one of my "religious edicts" and today is Tuesday. I'm the only doctor present who can perform this surgery to save her and her unborn child, but since she is straight and has her husband present, I refuse. They then have to take her to another hospital and she expires on the way there. I guess I cannot be sued because I'm protected by this new ruling. Also can I kindly remark to her husband that Jesus must have called her and his unborn baby home? I'm such a thoughtful soul!!!

Old 04-07-2016, 01:02 PM

594 posts, read 347,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Unbelievable stuff from MS - And then they wonder why they are at the bottom of almost everything

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...to-gay-people/
I might see how there might be a few limited areas where someone might have a valid issue, but if you own and run a business that serves the general public, how can you pick and choose people to not serve, simply becase they are a legally married same sex couple?

The whole idea that I can refuse to sell you a freaking cake, just because you might place two plastc women on the top, is horse crap. It does not infringe on my religion to sell you food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies