Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 04:29 AM

89,677 posts, read 45,318,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
The Supreme Court's ruling in Hobby lobby gave birth to them.
What that ruling did was establish the legal precedent that a privately held business does not have to compromise the owner/s' religious beliefs if a less-restrictive means of achieving the same result is available. It will overwhelmingly be true that other vendors with no such religious objections to providing goods/services, etc., is available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 04:37 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,466,801 times
Dear State,

Thank you for telling me how to utilize my labor and property as you see fit. I am not smart enough, moral enough, or desire to be free enough to make decisions on my own.

Sincerely,

The Masses

Old 04-08-2016, 04:40 AM

599 posts, read 404,318 times
I just wish the Republican Party would stay out of social issues. I'm becoming a Libertarian at the end of the year because of how far right many in the Republican Party have gone.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:41 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,966,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What that ruling did was establish the legal precedent that a privately held business does not have to compromise the owner/s' religious beliefs if a less-restrictive means of achieving the same result is available. It will overwhelmingly be true that other vendors with no such religious objections to providing goods/services, etc., is available.
It opened up the door to consider other applications, after all, it was a landmark ruling, notable because it significantly changed the law on this particular issue.

Even Hobby Lobby had to consider the implications or natural consequences to its own business practices. For example, the 401k package of investment choices included offerings in businesses that produced or were involved in the production or sale of birth control products. Would it be consistent to still offer those same investments? I haven't followed up on this aspect but at the time, their investment portfolios included. & there are companies who manage portfolios to avoid the contradiction.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
I just wish the Republican Party would stay out of social issues.
Republican party? The Pope just released a definitive document rejecting gay marriage as legitimate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...dde_story.html

The Catholic vote is thus:

http://cara.georgetown.edu/president...ote%20only.pdf

Old 04-08-2016, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Dear State,

Thank you for telling me how to utilize my labor and property as you see fit. I am not smart enough, moral enough, or desire to be free enough to make decisions on my own.

Sincerely,

The Masses
Are you channeling Maurice Bessinger here? :roll eyes:

Old 04-08-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
It opened up the door to consider other applications, after all, it was a landmark ruling, notable because it significantly changed the law on this particular issue.
It didn't change the law. It struck down a law that was unConstitutional, providing certain conditions are met (notably: a less-restrictive means of achieving the same result). The First Amendment has always provided the Constitutional Right upheld by SCOTUS in the Hobby Lobby ruling.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:59 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,466,801 times
Quote:
Are you channeling Maurice Bessinger here? :roll eyes:
My favorite statist, ChiGeekGuest! Haven't seen ya in awhile. Been out cheering on cops as they write out speeding tickets?

Even you have to admit this whole story is drenched in the follies of the state.

No person (never mind a fictional entity such as the government) owns your body, labor, and/or fruits of the two. Having the state give you permission to deny service is just as wrong as the state telling you not to deny service.

Scorn and public shaming stemming from voluntary contracts that uphold the non-aggression principle would eliminate the violence and slavery on display here.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
My favorite statist, ChiGeekGuest! Haven't seen ya in awhile. Been out cheering on cops as they write out speeding tickets?

Even you have to admit this whole story is drenched in the follies of the state.

No person (never mind a fictional entity such as the government) owns your body, labor, and/or fruits of the two. Having the state give you permission to deny service is just as wrong as the state telling you not to deny service.

Scorn and public shaming stemming from voluntary contracts that uphold the non-aggression principle would eliminate the violence and slavery on display here.
If by statist, you mean I have the tendency to state my thoughtviews, I'm happy to oblige the role you've granted me - your Nemesis!

I'm a little short on time here although I'm sure we'll meet again on the way to the forums.

One parting thought - didn't Mr. Bessinger use scorn & public shaming? & passive-aggression?

Old 04-08-2016, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It didn't change the law. It struck down a law that was unConstitutional, providing certain conditions are met (notably: a less-restrictive means of achieving the same result). The First Amendment has always provided the Constitutional Right upheld by SCOTUS in the Hobby Lobby ruling.
Short on time & this is a large conversation. Do you agree it was a landmark decision? Maybe we could start there. See you next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies