Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 12:13 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
You have a furtive imagination. Quote where I said a CNA should be lucky to make anything above minimum wage.
Do you read what you write? You act like $45K is a lot of money for someone to make. Currently a CNA is paid too little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You clearly don't know the difference between a nurse and a nurse assistant. A CNA is not a skilled job, it's not even rated as skilled as a secretary or fast food cook.

Unskilled Work, Semi-Skilled Work, and Skilled Work: Past Jobs and Social Security Disability | Nolo.com

A CNA only requires a GED, 50 hours of class and passing a test. Worth more than minimum wage, but hardly 'skilled', especially at entry level.

CNA Job Description: Are You Qualified? | CNA Exam Cram
For example, a new CNA entry level minimum wage could start at $12per hour as compared to someone who has worked for five years or more who can demand up to $25an hour.

With experience comes more skill, responsibility and higher salary.
So now a fast food cook should make more than a CNA because their job is more skilled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 12:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Since all these people want an living wage, and equality, lets do this. Raise the minimum wage to 15/hr. Fair enough. Then raise everyone else pay the same percentage. That way everyone's pay is equally adjusted. Just trying to be FAIR, EQUAL.
In theory what is wrong with fair? The upper few percentage was able to take advantage of the trillions the government put into the markets in ways no one else could. Why is it O.K. for one small percentage to prosper over the rest but bad for those hurt the most by those subsidies to want to claw back from the hole they were put in through actions they had no control over?

Old 04-16-2016, 12:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
I am elderly and have budgeted a $1 hamburger a day for the next 10 years I expect to be alive.

10x365 = 3650 (original number of hamburgers I will be buying)
3650/1.22 = 2991 (number of hamburgers I will buy after the $15/hr stupidity)

659 days or 1.8 years I will have a budget shortfall because of this inflation.

Let me know again how people with fixed income/savings wouldn't be effected?

I agree on artificially low interest rates, but a solid finance person is going to skip the extra payments and paying cash and let the market make 4-6% while I am charged 3%.
So you agree with me but still felt a need to argue. I find it odd how often this happens.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:17 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Do you read what you write? You act like $45K is a lot of money for someone to make. Currently a CNA is paid too little.

So now a fast food cook should make more than a CNA because their job is more skilled?

Please note that the $53K figure is for family income, not individual.

Typical American family earned $53,657 last year - Sep. 16, 2015

Someone needs to get out into the real world.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:30 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The world is not run by mega corporations like Walmart. The vast majority of workers are employed by small businesses like McDonald's - yes, they are franchised and owned by small business owners individually.

Even Walmart, its profit margin is only 3%. How do you expect them to have money to cover the labor cost increase? Walmart made 15 billion in 2015 net income. With 1.4 million employees, a raise of $3/hour not including benefts would result in $9 billion. That would leave $6 billion for Walmart to do everything else including paying corporate taxes and weather economic downturns. 3% margin is razor thin! Any deviation of cost would put the company in the red.
Razor thin my butt, their net profit in 2015 was over 16.18 billion dollars. I seriously wonder what goes on in the mind of a person who makes Walmart out to be some kind of victim. And FYI net profit is what is left AFTER paying all expenses including corporate taxes.

Here's an interesting article that addresses how Walmart could pay $15 an hour:

Quote:
"Can Walmart really afford a $15 wage increase? It can if company executives dip into the substantial pool of money Walmart has allocated to repurchase shares of its own stock. Share buybacks, as they are called, reduce the number of shares traded on the market so that the same level of earnings are distributed over fewer owners, making each remaining share worth more. To bolster its stock price, Walmart recently authorized $20 billion for share repurchases in 2016 and 2017. But share buybacks do nothing to strengthen the company’s productivity or bottom line. If Walmart redirected the $10 billion per year it has authorized for buybacks toward investment in human capital, it could provide its 825,000 lowest-paid U.S. employees a raise of as much as an additional $7.67 per hour without raising consumer prices by a penny. On top of the $10 an hour Walmart has already committed to, this would more than pay for the $15 an hour Walmart workers are calling for"
Poor poor Walmart it must be awful to suffer what they do with all these do nothing wastrels wanting more money all the time waa waa waa

Old 04-16-2016, 12:38 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Please note that the $53K figure is for family income, not individual.

Typical American family earned $53,657 last year - Sep. 16, 2015

Someone needs to get out into the real world.
Yes, I have been in the real world, I am not arguing what American families currently earn, I am saying they earn too little which is why we are seeing the middle class shrinking.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not sure how to address a moving target.

Think like Wayne Gretzky and shoot accordingly.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
We do. We just don't want to screw them by raising the minimum wage for some people's selfishness.

Thank you for providing one more reason housing regulation should be reduiced if we really care about the poor.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:56 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
And then you guys wonder why the middle class is disappearing, yet seem to have no interest in protecting it. It also shows how little value employers put on their employees today when they would rather replace a good worker than to give a raise.
So your idea of protecting the middle class is to raise the cost of doing business in America? I'm sure that solution will work out well....

Old 04-16-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The workers should just unionize to improve their working conditions rather than mandate that the government raise the minimum wage. Of course business today is very hostile to unions. Every business in the country would rather close their doors than allow a union.

That's a fail. As long as teens and other 'secondary workers' (people NOT working the job to live on) populate these jobs, the breadwinners will have a difficult time unionizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies