Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 01:00 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
So your idea of protecting the middle class is to raise the cost of doing business in America? I'm sure that solution will work out well....
No, it is to increase the spending power of the middle class and working poor. Why are people on her so satisfied with making less than $30K while their employers see their profit margins increase while passing on none of those profits to their employees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 01:00 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Thank you for providing one more reason housing regulation should be reduiced if we really care about the poor.
How far and for how long should the bar be lowered to accommodate those who can't meet the present standards?

Old 04-16-2016, 01:11 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Razor thin my butt, their net profit in 2015 was over 16.18 billion dollars. I seriously wonder what goes on in the mind of a person who makes Walmart out to be some kind of victim. And FYI net profit is what is left AFTER paying all expenses including corporate taxes.

Here's an interesting article that addresses how Walmart could pay $15 an hour:

Poor poor Walmart it must be awful to suffer what they do with all these do nothing wastrels wanting more money all the time waa waa waa
So, since Wal Mart is ultra rich and makes allot of money to run its corporation, you are saying that all the work the Walton family has made since starting back in the 70's, that they should reward the non working, low skilled individuals that havent contributed anything to their profit of over 40 years. Wal Mart, GE, Trump, McDonalds etc etc are not charity organizations. They are businesses making money. Welcome to Capitalism.
Whether they can afford it or not is your interpretation. Once you become a CEO, tell your board members we are going to double all of our employees wages. See how that goes junior.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:15 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
How about telling me what happened to your hamburger budget since the price of a pound of ground beef doubled since 2009? Food cost for a fast food restaurant is about 30-36% of their operating expenses, labor is about 20-24%.

You act as though wages should never get a wage increase in order to satisfy your hamburger a day diet, do you know how silly that sounds? Maybe you should have planned better for your old age and put some money into investments that would at least keep up with inflation.
It does effect them. But market expansion and contraction at a few percentage points is built into the market and a decent investment spread will increase with costs. You are looking at a 22% surge in direct costs with a probable 80% increase over time as market equilibration takes hold. That's not an effect of drought effecting grain costs, that's an artificial expansion because people lack basic skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Mighty conceited of you to talk down to people, especially older people. Simply rude.
In public, i would use such nice forum guidelines.
No worries mate. I got this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Do you read what you write? You act like $45K is a lot of money for someone to make. Currently a CNA is paid too little.

So now a fast food cook should make more than a CNA because their job is more skilled?
45K for a GED is pretty good. Sorry you think everyone needs to make $100,000 for showing up for work. Simply stating that "ohh noez, they make too much" is pedantic. How are you going to justify the increasing cost of healthcare to give these, and everyone else dealing with patient care, a raise. Or should be just give them close to an RN salary and tell people with a 4 year degree, professional licensing, and continual need to maintain competencies to suck it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So you agree with me but still felt a need to argue. I find it odd how often this happens.
When people are incorrect about a portion of their thought process I can disagree with that incorrect portion but agree on another section. For instance if you said "Hitler was a great public speaker and therefore a good man." I can agree his public speaking was enthralling, but can disagree that he was a good person.

You simply want to link two separate ideas (artificial inflation due to 15/hr and low interest rates effects on savings) that do not need to be coupled together. 15/hr will have a massive effect on purchase power which will be more devastating to older people on fixed incomes. Saying that is A-OK because interest rates are low is asinine. The nice thing about interest rates being low is that a smart person with liquidity can use that liquidity to play the market and get higher returns then their interest rate on the money being borrowed.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
So, since Wal Mart is ultra rich and makes allot of money to run its corporation, you are saying that all the work the Walton family has made since starting back in the 70's, that they should reward the non working, low skilled individuals that havent contributed anything to their profit of over 40 years. Wal Mart, GE, Trump, McDonalds etc etc are not charity organizations. They are businesses making money. Welcome to Capitalism.
Whether they can afford it or not is your interpretation. Once you become a CEO, tell your board members we are going to double all of our employees wages. See how that goes junior.
Their employees haven't contributed anything? So are you telling me it is only Walton family members working those cash registers? I love how little people on this site value working Americans, it is as if people on this site all think they are independently wealthy and look down on all those useless working people below them.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:21 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Razor thin my butt, their net profit in 2015 was over 16.18 billion dollars. I seriously wonder what goes on in the mind of a person who makes Walmart out to be some kind of victim. And FYI net profit is what is left AFTER paying all expenses including corporate taxes.
From this response alone you have no business arguing this, you don't even understand what profit margin is.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:22 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Thank you for providing one more reason housing regulation should be reduiced if we really care about the poor.
I think reduced is the wrong word......they should be amended in many instances. It's really no one else's business if someone wants to live in a 400 sq ft space as long as it was built safely.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
45K for a GED is pretty good. Sorry you think everyone needs to make $100,000 for showing up for work. Simply stating that "ohh noez, they make too much" is pedantic. How are you going to justify the increasing cost of healthcare to give these, and everyone else dealing with patient care, a raise. Or should be just give them close to an RN salary and tell people with a 4 year degree, professional licensing, and continual need to maintain competencies to suck it up?
I didn't say everyone needs to make $100K, I said a CNA should be making around $45K for their skilled labor. Also you do realize that most CNAs have more than a GED.

The better question is do you have any idea what the hourly pay is for $45K a year because based on this post I highly doubt it.....

Old 04-16-2016, 01:24 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Their employees haven't contributed anything? So are you telling me it is only Walton family members working those cash registers? I love how little people on this site value working Americans, it is as if people on this site all think they are independently wealthy and look down on all those useless working people below them.
They didnt formulate, build and risk for this company. They just work there. I know the difference, so should you.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
They didnt formulate, build and risk for this company. They just work there. I know the difference, so should you.
And if no one worked there, Walmart wouldn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies