Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Yes, yes, you're 'ignorant' too. Who taught you your logic? Someone else. And your pseudo-logic will be taken from you.

No one is going to give you a dime for "history" in the near future. You are rent seeking and are resented for it. You are rent seeking because you cannot make it on your own. No one else is paid for history that had nothing to do with them as an individual; other people have had it less hard and harder than your direct ancestors; and no one else is given so much rent in return. Enjoy it while it lasts, but don't come into a public space attempting to pseudo-educate people with your rent seeking logic and appeals to "history". No one cares. Just say "give me this". It'll be more honest.
I don't need a dime lol. You should form sentences with subjects and verbs if you are going to call someone else ignorant. (At least I think that is what you were trying to do with me).

About history, someone asked about it so I answered. If you have a problem with that, then that is your personal problem.

How old are you??? Like I stated in my reply, housing discrimination did not dissipate until the 1980s. All generations except the Millenials had something to do with it either by ignoring it or profiting from it.

And FWIW, the only rent I like to get is from my own tenants. I am a landlord and cannot be a Section 8 landlord because of my former career so I rent market rate single and multi family homes. Their monthly rents are the only rents I am seeking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My Uncle had a property he was renting and because of the property location section 8 was the most likely candidate. He fixed it up when he bought it, after the first tenants left he had to do an extensive amount of work again. The second time around same thing happened. He fixed the problem by getting out of the rental business, sold it to some slumlord that wasn't going to take the time to fix it up and just collect the check.
Why would section 8 be the "most likely candidate?"

Most Section 8 tenants live in pretty decent neighborhoods. The HCV program (what Section 8 is now known as) also have a pretty heavily entrenched inspection program and an application process to accept landlords. They primarily are currently looking for homes/units in nicer areas (hence the program mentioned in the OP and what other people are complaining about in other threads on this topic).

Just because someone has a rental in a lower income neighborhood doesn't mean it has to be a Section 8 rental. And one would be hard pressed to have a "slum" be accepted as a Section 8 unit as they are pretty tedious in the inspection process.

The rentals I own are all in lower income neighborhoods, predominantly black and I never have issues renting them out because I charge market rate rents and I keep the properties nice. I also do credit and background screenings. I've never had too many issues with tenants as a result. I doubt that your uncle rented to Section 8/HCV tenants who trashed the place. If they did and the security deposit didn't cover it, he could have informed the housing authority and had them thrown out of the program.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:15 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Just wait until gas prices start going up again. Public transportation is here to stay.

(BTW, all areas have rentals, and often rich areas have more rentals.)

And, contrary to what you think, criminals have cars.
Not necessarily. My town doesn't allow apartments, and house rentals are hard to find and expensive.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:31 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
But but but, Demoncraps are deh real raaaacists!

I'm very tired of hearing that meme that the Democratic Party are where real racists are, yet topics like these with their thinly veiled racism are exclusively made by GOP voters
What is more disturbing.......these people have to be convinced to live good lives and payed to not do crime. So you tell us where the problem really lies.

Baltimore County will spend $30 million over the next decade to help private developers build 1000 homes for low-income African American families in affluent suburbs. In addition, the country will create 2000 units of subsidized Section 8 housing where residents will have access to better schools and less crime (housing must be built or rented in racially integrated clusters to avoid creating new ghettoes).

Why is our government choosing to move these people (who most likely were brought in from other countries) rather than STOP the crime in these areas........sounds a lot like how people from Syria are being relocated.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:37 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Why would section 8 be the "most likely candidate?"

Most Section 8 tenants live in pretty decent neighborhoods. The HCV program (what Section 8 is now known as) also have a pretty heavily entrenched inspection program and an application process to accept landlords. They primarily are currently looking for homes/units in nicer areas (hence the program mentioned in the OP and what other people are complaining about in other threads on this topic).

Just because someone has a rental in a lower income neighborhood doesn't mean it has to be a Section 8 rental. And one would be hard pressed to have a "slum" be accepted as a Section 8 unit as they are pretty tedious in the inspection process.

The rentals I own are all in lower income neighborhoods, predominantly black and I never have issues renting them out because I charge market rate rents and I keep the properties nice. I also do credit and background screenings. I've never had too many issues with tenants as a result. I doubt that your uncle rented to Section 8/HCV tenants who trashed the place. If they did and the security deposit didn't cover it, he could have informed the housing authority and had them thrown out of the program.
It makes my heart happy that YOU have good experiences with section 8 but we still have a way to go to use up all 5 fingers on one hand counting folks like you. The apartment complex near me stopped taking section 8 (incredible damage and health concerns). Local grocery started making a profit and burglaries and property damage in the entire neighborhood went down to almost zero. You are correct about the standards applied to initially renting a section 8, but you have your rose-colored glasses on about recovering losses due to damage. Security deposits don't even come close to damage repairs ... let alone lost rent while repairs are being done. BTW I think you are dreaming about getting them thrown out of the program. They didn't get in the program in the first place by being stalwart citizens. And which bleeding heart is going to "put them in the street"? I am happy for YOU and YOUR good experiences ... the rest of US haven't and this statement of yours ... " I doubt that your uncle rented to Section 8/HCV tenants who trashed the place" is beyond belief. I don't know the poster nor his uncle, but I believe what the poster said.

El Nox

Old 04-12-2016, 08:39 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,752,250 times
What we're seeing is a movement towards Latin America-style, third world living. In Latin America the poor tend to live right next door to the rich. What the rich do is build gated communities with armed guards to keep the poor out or they build 10' walls around their homes with razor wire along the top to keep them out. This is what will happen in wealthy suburbs here in the US over time as well if we continue to push the poor into better neighborhoods.

What also happens is, everyone middle class and up attend private schools, with only the poor being left at public schools. Now, not all of the middle class can afford the best private schools, so there are an array of private schools based on price. A diploma from a public schools is literally worthless.

The same with insurance. Every family, middle class and up have private insurance and use the private hospitals which rival anything we have in the US. The working class and poor use their socialized medicine insurance and wait for days in the emergency room and years for a surgery.

It's a caste system of sorts and I have said since I returned to the US that this is where we're headed. I feel it's inevitable and the only solution is make sure your kids are part of the haves, rather than the have-nots. Social mobility becomes virtually impossible so it's up to you to do it now for the future generations of your family.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,999,439 times
Welcome to Baltimore, please set your watches back 50 years. In DC the poor blacks are complaining about the affluent whites moving into the "slums."

Old 04-12-2016, 09:52 AM

234 posts, read 202,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
What we're seeing is a movement towards Latin America-style, third world living. In Latin America the poor tend to live right next door to the rich. What the rich do is build gated communities with armed guards to keep the poor out or they build 10' walls around their homes with razor wire along the top to keep them out. This is what will happen in wealthy suburbs here in the US over time as well if we continue to push the poor into better neighborhoods.

What also happens is, everyone middle class and up attend private schools, with only the poor being left at public schools. Now, not all of the middle class can afford the best private schools, so there are an array of private schools based on price. A diploma from a public schools is literally worthless.

The same with insurance. Every family, middle class and up have private insurance and use the private hospitals which rival anything we have in the US. The working class and poor use their socialized medicine insurance and wait for days in the emergency room and years for a surgery.

It's a caste system of sorts and I have said since I returned to the US that this is where we're headed. I feel it's inevitable and the only solution is make sure your kids are part of the haves, rather than the have-nots. Social mobility becomes virtually impossible so it's up to you to do it now for the future generations of your family.
This is certainly one possibility, but not guaranteed.

I wouldn't be surprised about private vs. public healthcare, but I don't think we're going to be doing the armed guards and razor wire in the near future. We don't have people living in shacks and shanty town favelas.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
It makes my heart happy that YOU have good experiences with section 8 but we still have a way to go to use up all 5 fingers on one hand counting folks like you. The apartment complex near me stopped taking section 8 (incredible damage and health concerns). Local grocery started making a profit and burglaries and property damage in the entire neighborhood went down to almost zero. You are correct about the standards applied to initially renting a section 8, but you have your rose-colored glasses on about recovering losses due to damage. Security deposits don't even come close to damage repairs ... let alone lost rent while repairs are being done. BTW I think you are dreaming about getting them thrown out of the program. They didn't get in the program in the first place by being stalwart citizens. And which bleeding heart is going to "put them in the street"? I am happy for YOU and YOUR good experiences ... the rest of US haven't and this statement of yours ... " I doubt that your uncle rented to Section 8/HCV tenants who trashed the place" is beyond belief. I don't know the poster nor his uncle, but I believe what the poster said.

El Nox
All HCV residents go through an annual recertification process. They are also background checked every year. They got into the program because they are low-income, nothing more. Being low income does not mean someone is a criminal.

It is not hard to get people kicked out of the HCV program. I have been involved in many hearings where that has occurred. I've seen thousands of people kicked out of the program based on trashing places alone. If you keep your evidence/records and submit it to the housing authority, those people will be kicked out.

And FWIW a large percentage of people on section 8 are elderly/disabled. Elderly people usually do not destroy a place, though there is a slight chance you may get a hoarder.

And as stated, I am not an HCV landlord. I worked in the industry so know a lot of the good and bad. I know for a fact that it is not hard to get people kicked out of the program and I know the main reasons for issues with the program on the property owner side is the fact that many of the landlords are bad landlords and don't manage their property's well.

ETA: I doubted that person's story because he/she said that turning the place into Section 8 was the "only" option.... As I stated in my previous post, I own properties in lower income areas that are NOT Section 8 and I have no desire to have Section 8 tenants. There is no place in the country that HAS to be Section 8. It is a voluntary program on the part of landlords and many times they are happy to be on it as many of them inflate their rents in order to get more profits out of the government. It is guaranteed payment for the landlords which is why a lot of property owners put in a lot of work and money into getting their property up to "housing quality" standards that the Section 8 program requires.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:58 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Crickets
I figured as much. This is what I know from my own experiences. The persons who have complained the most about Blacks and other minorities, have been right wing types. Vast majority of the person who have ever called me racial slurs or subjected me to racial harassment were right wingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies