Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 05:12 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,233,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
But but but, Demoncraps are deh real raaaacists!

I'm very tired of hearing that meme that the Democratic Party are where real racists are, yet topics like these with their thinly veiled racism are exclusively made by GOP voters

Nonsense. It's the Left that is racist. Always has been. In fact, race is just about the only thing they can talk about anymore. They are completely obsessed with it.

And why is all of the 'racism' on the right always 'thinly veiled'? ... And only unhinged, kook Progressives are able to see it? Hmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 05:27 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Nonsense. It's the Left that is racist. Always has been. In fact, race is just about the only thing they can talk about anymore. They are completely obsessed with it.

And why is all of the 'racism' on the right always 'thinly veiled'? ... And only unhinged, kook Progressives are able to see it? Hmmm...
If the left is so racist, then why are the majority of complaints about Blacks and Hispanics coming from the far right?

Old 04-11-2016, 05:43 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,731,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The article is not a real news source. At the top it speaks about being a "conservative" voice. Any "news" outlet that mentions a political ideology is not objective.

Unfortunately, too often today many conservatives like to make all sorts of issues, especially anything to do with Obama a "black" issue (even though they also frequently like to say that black people are ALWAYS talking about racial things lol).

On Gary.....ummmm.....Chicago is not responsible for Gary, Indiana. It is its own municipality in a totally different state. Also various cities in the Midwest experienced white flight, practically every city in the country experienced white flight. Integration has nothing to do with the issues facing that city today. They are economic issues that have been occurring since before 1960 when the area started to lose major employers. I am VERY familiar with the Midwest in general as I am from the Great Lakes region. Many cities in the Rust Belt were economic powerhouses due to industrialization from the late 19th and early to mid 20th centuries. After the technologies changed and industries went to other countries, those cities lost population and became blighted and poverty stricken. Fortunately many of those cities today (even Detroit) are making a comeback, even though it is slow going. I am more hopeful and excited at Detroit (I used to live in Detroit) versus Gary as they have much more going on in Detroit today and I do think that the bankruptcy there was a good thing in a way for the city. But I don't know about Gary...

I feel bad for its residents. It is actually the most blighted city in the Great Lakes by many measures.

However, neither Chicago nor integration is the sole cause of its demise. The major factor in its condition today is divestment and a dwindling population. Only those too poor to move or who are die-hard residents wanting to improve the city have stayed.
Yeah Gary is like Newark, NJ. It's part of our Chicago urban sprawl, but we have plausible deniability of association with Gary because technically it's in Indiana.

Indiana legislators were the ones that scared off the rich affluent whites in Gary way back when. At the time, it was a lot more clearly racist of them, but at the end of the day the words, "If you don't like it move somewhere else!" went into affect. So they moved.

Sure, many other factors led to the craphole that Gary is today, but a huge part of Gary's demise was Indiana lawmakers doing the same sort of social engineering. Once the affluent white population was long gone and never coming back, any future Gary might have had went down the toilet IMHO. Pittsburg and Detroit saw the same collapse. Pittsburg already made it's own impressive comeback. Detroit is in the process. It's like East St Louis -- everybody's just given up on the town.

The series of events that killed Gary:
https://www.wbez.org/shows/race-out-...f-f8798a693e15
Quote:
In the mid-1960s, blacks increased in number in what was then a very ethnic-white Gary.

Confined to living in one section of city for decades, blacks pushed for the right to live anywhere they chose, including in affluent white sections.

Richard Gordon Hatcher became Gary’s first black mayor in 1968. In the years up to his election, Hatcher pushed for an open housing law. It wasn’t easy ...

But the victories of the housing ordinance coupled with Hatcher’s mayoral victory came with consequences.

“And so blacks were able to move wherever they wanted to move and that really accelerated the flight out of the city,” Hatcher said. “People panicked and so that’s when they began in serious numbers to move out.”
The town of Merrillville was created, the whites moved out and Gary fell off the proverbial cliff. Obviously, the laws confining blacks to "black areas" of Gary would never fly today. It was all much more racist than anything happening today. But ultimately, social engineering created a white flight panic that doomed Gary forever.

I think folks in affluent neighborhoods will be a lot less concerned with skin color and a lot more concerned with the impact Section 8 housing has on their property values, crime rates, school ratings, etc. When they leave, it won't be because they were force-fed a massive influx of blacks. It'll because Obama and Maryland decided that relocating the slums into the middle of their nice neighborhood was a great idea.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:51 PM

234 posts, read 202,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Yeah that's a lot better source. Thanks for that. Still, it's much as I suspected. It sounds like a lot more social engineering.

The logic goes something like this:
  • Affluent white neighborhoods have more money in them.
  • As a direct result, their neighborhoods are nicer. They have better hospitals, better houses, better schools, less crime, better shopping areas, better everything.
  • Poor neighborhoods have crappy everything.
  • Solution: Move the whole poor neighborhood into the white affluent neighborhood where everything is nicer.
  • This always seems to result in white flight, followed by everything nice about the area going straight to hell.
Who said anything about white neighborhoods (or any other race)? I'm not sure why you're the one bringing these race issues into this.

Also, a huge amount of these projects are affordable housing for seniors. You really think that white flight is going to occur because a bunch of old people that never even leave their apartments are moved into some new construction?

Old 04-11-2016, 06:40 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,731,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post
Who said anything about white neighborhoods (or any other race)? I'm not sure why you're the one bringing these race issues into this.

Also, a huge amount of these projects are affordable housing for seniors. You really think that white flight is going to occur because a bunch of old people that never even leave their apartments are moved into some new construction?

The thread title: "Obama Administration Set To Bust White Wealthy Neighborhoods. Baltimore County Is First."

As I've said repeatedly, I don't think race is the relevant thing here. Moving the slums into richville is the problem. Nice neighborhoods are nice for a reason. They're full of money and relatively stable family units. Those are pretty big advantages. Rich people don't have to sit back and wait for distant government entities to make their schools better, for example. They have the money to make it happen without the outside help. They have the money in their community to fund better hospitals.

Here's the video of the chick in Baltimore government singing all praises to this whole thing:

Baltimore County settles housing discrimination complaints - Baltimore Sun

What I'm hearing is, "It's wrong for neighborhood A to have crappy schools, houses, hospitals and high crime rates. That's not fair!! So we're moving all of them into neighborhood B that has nice schools, houses, hospitals and low crime rates." Typical oversimplified thinking that always goes into liberal social engineering. It's just a modern day version of Gary, Indiana where well-meaning liberals are trying to right all wrongs and make everything exactly equal. Move Section 8 into rich neighborhoods and the rich people leave and take all their money -- the very thing that made everything so nice in the first place -- with them, plain and simple. Why do you think they'd want to stick around?

What I'm not hearing is exactly how everything was discriminatory or racist. If a black family could afford a house in that nice neighborhood, what was stopping them from moving in?

Old 04-11-2016, 06:46 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Quote:
And the winner is...

Quote:
I love how the cons here at CD have no idea what affordable housing even is, but are more than happy to make it a racial issue. Hilarious.

I bet if they looked up the amount of low income affordable housing that goes to white trash hicks living on RD (Rural Development) subsidies it would just blow their minds.
As far as I can tell you're pretty much the sole racially inflammatory commenter in this particular thread. That wouldn't be so bad but it's obvious you provide housing in some capacity.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:52 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Quote:
Yeah Gary is like Newark, NJ. It's part of our Chicago urban sprawl, but we have plausible deniability of association with Gary because technically it's in Indiana.

Indiana legislators were the ones that scared off the rich affluent whites in Gary way back when. At the time, it was a lot more clearly racist of them, but at the end of the day the words, "If you don't like it move somewhere else!" went into affect. So they moved.

Sure, many other factors led to the craphole that Gary is today, but a huge part of Gary's demise was Indiana lawmakers doing the same sort of social engineering. Once the affluent white population was long gone and never coming back, any future Gary might have had went down the toilet IMHO. Pittsburg and Detroit saw the same collapse. Pittsburg already made it's own impressive comeback. Detroit is in the process. It's like East St Louis -- everybody's just given up on the town.

The series of events that killed Gary:
https://www.wbez.org/shows/race-out-...f-f8798a693e15
The town of Merrillville was created, the whites moved out and Gary fell off the proverbial cliff. Obviously, the laws confining blacks to "black areas" of Gary would never fly today. It was all much more racist than anything happening today. But ultimately, social engineering created a white flight panic that doomed Gary forever.

I think folks in affluent neighborhoods will be a lot less concerned with skin color and a lot more concerned with the impact Section 8 housing has on their property values, crime rates, school ratings, etc. When they leave, it won't be because they were force-fed a massive influx of blacks. It'll because Obama and Maryland decided that relocating the slums into the middle of their nice neighborhood was a great idea.
Dude, the same thing that happened in Gary happened in Chicago, Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Dayton, Columbus, etc.

It happened all over the Midwest. All of those communities experienced the same level of white flight in the same circumstance. All of those communities had suburban communities built where whites fled due to not wanting to live around middle income black people.

What I get from your "explanation" above in regards to Gary, is that you feel that black people who can afford to move out of the small neighborhoods they were forced to live in, should not have been allowed to move where they could afford....

Is that what you are saying? All black people should be forced to live in the same area so that white people can feel comfortable...

That is what it looks like to me.

FWIW, I am a black American. I worked for MANY years in the housing industry, primarily with housing authorities as a consultant on housing and development programs. So I know about what they are doing in Baltimore. I also know of the mess in Gary as I am familiar with the fraud in their housing authority which caused a take over of that organization.

Gary's problems today have nothing to do with white flight in the 1960s. It has to do with divestment and the fact that not just wealthier white people, but middle income black people have moved away from Gary.

When all you have left is predominantly old and poor people, you can no longer have a thriving city or even a city that can easily come back from devastation. All of the other cities mentioned above, had similar histories to Gary in the Midwest, however, none of them, other than Detroit, have fallen to the depths that Gary has fallen and even in Detroit, a majority of their middle class did not desert the city and more especially their dominant industry did not totally desert them. If the "big 3" had left Detroit like the steel industry has done in Gary, then it would be in a similar position today. And FWIW, I am not confident that Gary will not make some sort of resurgence. There are always some die-hard residents of a city that are willing to put in work to make their city a little bit better than it was/is.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 04-11-2016 at 08:05 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 07:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is being made all about race. Well, there is one thing I will mention. Consider Prince George's County, Maryland. Alot of middle-upper class Blacks there. Go inside the Beltline and there are many trashy residents who came in from the worst parts of DC. That area got alot of the Section 8 types. Few people care if this happens to middle upper class Black areas. However, if it happens to White wealthy areas, then there are people screaming.
It's Beltway, not Beltline. In any case, this is a canard about people screaming. The so-called rich whites (presumably in NW DC and parts of VA (e.g. Great Falls) and MD have no control over what PG county does. Perhaps PG County welcomed the Section 8 types with open arms. And in any case, I happen to know there are tons of "section 8 types" in places like NW DC, Arlington VA, etc. etc.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:59 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Quote:
The thread title: "Obama Administration Set To Bust White Wealthy Neighborhoods. Baltimore County Is First."

As I've said repeatedly, I don't think race is the relevant thing here. Moving the slums into richville is the problem. Nice neighborhoods are nice for a reason. They're full of money and relatively stable family units. Those are pretty big advantages. Rich people don't have to sit back and wait for distant government entities to make their schools better, for example. They have the money to make it happen without the outside help. They have the money in their community to fund better hospitals.

Here's the video of the chick in Baltimore government singing all praises to this whole thing:

Baltimore County settles housing discrimination complaints - Baltimore Sun

What I'm hearing is, "It's wrong for neighborhood A to have crappy schools, houses, hospitals and high crime rates. That's not fair!! So we're moving all of them into neighborhood B that has nice schools, houses, hospitals and low crime rates." Typical oversimplified thinking that always goes into liberal social engineering. It's just a modern day version of Gary, Indiana where well-meaning liberals are trying to right all wrongs and make everything exactly equal. Move Section 8 into rich neighborhoods and the rich people leave and take all their money -- the very thing that made everything so nice in the first place -- with them, plain and simple. Why do you think they'd want to stick around?

What I'm not hearing is exactly how everything was discriminatory or racist. If a black family could afford a house in that nice neighborhood, what was stopping them from moving in?
That you are asking the bold question shows that you are ignorant of modern American history. Just an FYI, the following stopped black people who were able to move to a neighborhood they could afford (up to 1980 mind you, in some areas longer than that):

Redlining
Segregation
Housing Laws (enforced and/or endorsed by local, state, and federal organizations)
Inability for black people to even apply for a mortgage (it was illegal/not allowed in many areas, including in Chicago)
Lack of ability to use GI bills or FHA program by black veterans post WW2
Threat of violence by white mobs (whites frequently attacked or harassed black people who dared move to their neighborhoods)

You need to read up on the history of our country IMO.

Also, as stated earlier in the thread. The housing authority will not build "slums." They will be building high end communities with salt water pools like we did in Atlanta.

Not only poor people will live in those communities and you probably wouldn't even know that the community was funded by the government.

FWIW a large percentage of new multi-housing developments are government subsidized via tax credits. Usually those locations have a few "project based units" for low and very low income individuals and/or families.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:01 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
Quote:
Feds, Baltimore County strike deal to end discriminatory housing policies - Baltimore Sun

This looks like a better article than that other hit piece, but it is still quite vague. As the idea is that Baltimore is going to assist in providing private developers financing to build in specific areas. This will probably be with attractive mezz financing that is lower in priority than their perm loan.

So are you asking me to link you affordable housing complexes that haven't destroyed neighborhoods?

I'll just link you to Related's website.

Affordable Housing

As you can see for yourself, if you think these buildings are going to cause the neighbors to pack up their bags pronto, you're delusional.
I have friends in Ellicot City who are very high income. OMG imagine the exodus and commensurate drop in home values if they build these glorious units for Baltimorian comrades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies