Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 05:03 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Seems like Chapaqua NY would be a great place to start this. Given Hillary's love for diversity and a black population of 0.01%.

Or the Hamptons where her "donor class" friends live who are paying for her campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 05:06 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I don't know what PG did, do you? Were any PG County residents doing anything to stop the expansion of section 8 in their communities?

You are the one who mentioned race! I was responding since I happen to know the area well.

Why do you think no one cares or that I do not care? I call BS! I have friends in PG County and they are not happy.
I don't know if those in Prince George's County welcomed it with open arms either. I was asking you because you said "Perhaps PG County welcomed the Section 8 types with open arms." .

And I didn't bring up race myself. The title of this thread is explicitly about race. My piece about Prince George's County was not directed at you. It was directed at those who explicitly wanted to make this "Blacks are coming for Whites" kind of thing. I brought up Prince George's County because it is one of the most affluent predominantly Black areas in the USA. No one brought up that alot of hood rat types have gone there and the Blacks trying to get away from hood rats suddenly found them in PG.

I never said you didn't care. I look at the title and see that this is being made explicitly about rich White areas. That is why I asked about rich Black areas being ruined by trashy types. I am talking about the rest of the posters who are making this about poor Blacks going to rich White areas.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:23 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,969,227 times
It will probably be paid for with Hillary Clinton's proposed "White Privilege Tax."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Sounds like a great use of taxpayer funds.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Why would section 8 be the "most likely candidate?"
There is somewhat unique situation here, many of the homes in these older towns are going to be really old and small. Over the last few decades as the owners die off the kids don't want them and it's difficult sell to anyone buying a home. They end up sold cheap and typically end up as rentals/section 8. While the people in these homes were never rich they did have pride, you can walk down a street and tell which ones are still owned by the occupants.

Quote:
I doubt that your uncle rented to Section 8/HCV tenants who trashed the place.
You are calling me a liar, I take much offense to that. What I said was the absolute truth.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:09 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is somewhat unique situation here, many of the homes in these older towns are going to be really old and small. Over the last few decades as the owners die off the kids don't want them and it's difficult sell to anyone buying a home. They end up sold cheap and typically end up as rentals/section 8. While the people in these homes were never rich they did have pride, you can walk down a street and tell which ones are still owned by the occupants.

You are calling me a liar, I take much offense to that. What I said was the absolute truth.
I actually am not calling you a liar. I am calling your uncle a liar lol.

Per what I stated above, there is no criteria that a home in a lower income neighborhood HAS to become a Section 8 home. The homes MUST be certified and there is a lengthy application process on the part of the landlords.

The scenario you are describing which I bolded above is true for many areas across the country but not everyone turns their home into a Section 8 home. I informed you I rent out homes in low income neighborhoods. I have never had much of a problem with horrible tenants. I am NOT a landlord with the Section 8/HCV program, mostly because I am excluded due to my previous work, but also because I don't want to deal with a bunch of bureaucracy from government. It is not difficult to rent a quality home/unit in a low income neighborhood at market rate or slightly below market rate. Even though I know for a fact that the majority of HCV residents are not criminals, they usually do have some sort of credit problems and IMO that is indicative of a bad tenant. I usually place my rental rates slightly beneath the average for an area. I keep my properties up very nicely and as a result I get good, working poor tenants who are not Section 8 residents. I have had few problems with tenants (there are always bad apples). I also am very stringent in what type of tenant I accept. They have to have decent credit and no major criminal background. If I did Section 8 residents, I honestly would only rent smaller homes/units in that program and advertise to seniors on Section 8 as seniors are always less of a risk.

As stated above, many times the issues that are faced by landlords in the HCV program are due to poor management on the part of the landlord from the applicant/leasing process to the fact that many of them just don't check on their property on a regular basis. Housing authorities themselves, who rent out the projects/public housing, do monthly "housekeeping" inspections on 10% of their units and every year they inspect all of their units at least twice. That way, you know what is going on with your property. All landlords should do a "housekeeping" and a "maintenance" check IMO at least once per year. And FWIW, I hire a company to manage one of my properties out of state. I do my best to be a responsible landlord and to ensure that an eye is kept on tenants. I also get to know and provide my contact information to some of the neighbors of my property. They keep me in the loop on what is going on or if they see/hear some behavior that I may want to know about. Old lady snoopy neighbors are some of my favorite people. The few folks I have had issues with, I knew about them due to the neighbors. One had the police come out to the house too many times and so I didn't renew their lease as I don't want to be a bad neighbor or contribute to the decline of a neighborhood through a bad, "overly active" tenant as I call them. Those are the types who will also get mad and trash a place due to a decision such as what I made in that situation.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:17 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
I am actually happy about this... The wealthy liberals can stop being hypocritical a holes

Old 04-13-2016, 10:04 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,771,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL at this article!

There are over 20,000 public housing residents (live in "the projects") and over 12,000 HCVP families (Section 8) in the city of Baltimore.

How is creating 1000 units of "affordable housing" moving ALL of the low and very-low income persons into the suburbs

The numbers don't add up.

FYI for those on the boards, "affordable housing" is basically market rate apartment complexes that set aside units for "low and very low" income persons. Usually there are 5-50 units at each location.

So basically the housing authority in Baltimore is going into the market rate developing business (they already are in that business BTW) and are expanding their reach into wealthier neighborhoods.

This initiative is not new and has had some success across the country. When I worked in housing in Atlanta, GA we focused on both reviving low income neighborhoods along with moving low income residents into wealthier neighborhoods.

People who have ever visited Atlanta in the past 10 years and went to Centennial Park in particular wouldn't know that the area between that park (near Coca-Cola headquarters) and Ga Tech used to all be low income, crime ridden public housing projects. It was redeveloped into market rate units. Public housing residents along with students and market rate tenants now live there. Crime decreased. The public school in the area increased in positive outcomes. Due to the success we had in Atlanta in this regard, the program went all over the country and a majority of urban areas now are doing this.

But in general the article is very misleading. The units will be built by developers. They will not be "projects" but will be very nice places and the residents in those neighborhoods probably won't even know that they are providing homes to low and very low income persons. They will try to house as few of those residents as possible in the buildings due to wanting it to appeal primarily to market rate, higher income persons and families. Various statistics show that the way to increase the positive outcomes of low and very low individuals is to move them into nicer, wealthier communities in very small numbers. That way they will not have a negative affect on the area of which they live.
I've noticed that in the town I grew up in have had these types of complexes you posted in certain areas. I grew up in Montgomery County, MD just outside DC. They happen to have "pioneered" affordable housing in the 70s.

I'm not 100% opposed to affordable housing but moreover how it is executed. The town hasn't been hugely negatively affected in terms of schools and crime, but the same cannot be said about the towns North and East. It used to be one of the wealthiest counties in the country. Now it is dropping in that regard. The goal was for "integration" and "diversity" to thrive, but it has backfired and those schools are doing poorly in many ways. Some of these folks are from DC but it is mainly folks coming into the country illegally from Central America. I would imagine at some point there would be some gentrification-like forced that would improve but I can't say for sure things are looking up in those areas.

Report: gap persists between rich and poor schools in Montgomery Co., Md. - WTOP

Old 04-13-2016, 10:53 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,909 times
If they thought there would be no problems, then why be sneaky?

Old 04-13-2016, 01:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
I've noticed that in the town I grew up in have had these types of complexes you posted in certain areas. I grew up in Montgomery County, MD just outside DC. They happen to have "pioneered" affordable housing in the 70s.... It used to be one of the wealthiest counties in the country.
Still is.

Scott Walker says most of the 10 richest counties are around Washington, D.C. | PolitiFact Wisconsin

Old 04-13-2016, 03:32 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
There is a narrow demographic that drives crime off the charts:

Young, male, unmarried, not in school and not employed.

Pretty much every one of the most famous recent perps - Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Meechaiel Criner, Laquan McDonald, etc etc - have fit this narrow demographic.

It also happens that this demographic also is found disproportionately in the households of subsidized housing recipients.

Good luck solving that issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies