Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 12:26 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times

Advertisements

In a previous thread having to do with Cruz, Colorado delegates, and that minister who declared all gays should be done away with, I had one thing to add, but that thread got locked.
I would hope the moderator will allow this one post regarding that thread.
It had one sentence in it that needed to be addressed,so I answered it, only to find the thread was locked when I clicked to submit it.
Here is how I answered:

I refer to this one sentence in one of the post in a thread that has been locked.
I believe it is important enough to discuss.

"Why would the general population of CO support Cruz? I am sure he would do away with SSM eventually if he could and if has been legal there for some time now. Anyone know how he stands on their legal pot?"

That can't happen.
The president, whoever it is, can not over rule a judgement of the scotus by executive order.
The only way a ruling against the right for gays to marry, would have to be an amendment to the fourteenth amendment, and that has to do with equal protection under the law.
It will never be changed.

More often than not, people (especially the bible thumpers) think the court ruled on gay marriage, but that was not the case.
The case before the court was the fourteenth amendment, and equal protection under the law, as stated in the constitution.

As part of the courts decision to uphold the wording of the constitution, gays are protected under the fourteenth amendment, and that is how they are entitled to be married.
Simply put, laws, and that includes state laws, can not be written for, or against one particular class of peo-ple over another.
The laws must treat all equally, as stated in the constitution.

I would venture to say that the recent law changes in a few southern states, will have a drastic impact on future federal funding to those states until such time that they reverse their newly adopted bills against gay discrimination.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies