Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 01:38 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times

Advertisements

I don't know if Universal Healthcare would be possible. Our economy is driven by the idea we are a free market. Don't believe insurance companies or health care industry agree on a regulated market. I mean if anything it would have to be tailored some how.

Crazy thought what if the States set up a Universal Health Insurance Market. Where you have the option of two or three or four insurances where you can compare their tax rates online, which providera/networks are covered in the State, their deductibles, and out of network deductible cost. You select the insurance company you want and a bi-weekly flat tax rate is taken out of your pay check. Also if go zero deductibles highest tax rate.

You have the option to buy out of the country travel health insurance if you travel. Employers can avoid health insurance coverage, but can provide dental and eye insurance.

Also feel the pharmaceutical market does need to be regulated.

Thoughts...

I don't know how we cover someone who isn't working (I mean State Medicare) maybe set up limits how long can be on that. Maybe should be calculations done based off of income for their tax rate as well as how many people will be covered under theit insurance. Also tax breaks to self business individual's. Some kinks.

Last edited by RunD1987; 05-10-2016 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 02:44 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I don't know if Universal Healthcare would be possible.
Every other developed country on earth has it, but I guess it is just too difficult for America to do, eh?

Quote:
Our economy is driven by the idea we are a free market.
Key word being: the idea that we are a free market.

Quote:
Don't believe insurance companies or health care industry agree on a regulated market. I mean if anything it would have to be tailored some how.
The health care industry is already heavily regulated, in favor of hospitals, insurance companies, patent holders, pharm companies, etc.

What are you even talking about, you don't believe they could agree on a regulated market? They already have.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Every other developed country on earth has it, but I guess it is just too difficult for America to do, eh?

Key word being: the idea that we are a free market.

The health care industry is already heavily regulated, in favor of hospitals, insurance companies, patent holders, pharm companies, etc.

What are you even talking about, you don't believe they could agree on a regulated market? They already have.
There is no set standard for example for a total knee replacement. Actually thinking more on it car repairs have a set standard of repair cost and they are still competitive. People will still goto hospitals. Umm could be done.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
I don't know if Universal Healthcare would be possible.
It's possible as soon as State and federal governments stop interfering in the Market.

Quote:
Our economy is driven by the idea we are a free market.
You're paying $21/month for $350,000 worth of ER coverage?

Really?

Oh, that's right, you're not allowed to purchase "only ER coverage" due to government regulations and interference in the Free Market.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:14 PM

I think I pay $92 bi weekly for insurance ha

Old 05-10-2016, 03:18 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
I think Universal Healthcare would hurt the incentive to create better medicines & equipment. Why invest the money & time into certain research if the incentive of major $'s to make aren't there?

Isn't the 3rd leading cause of death medical mistakes? Imagine how many more mistakes would be made with more people seeing the doctor/hospitals.

Doctors hate medicare. Takes away from there profits. How many doctors decide to retire early because it's not worth it anymore financially? How many younger med students dropped out when they realized it's not as profitable to be a doctor anymore.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:58 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
I enjoy my universal healthcare. It's really wonderful and a very great boon for Canadians. I don't believe that such a system is possible in the USA. Just take a look at the example of Walter Reid hospital and tell me! can these same people run a system for all Americans? Not a chance. It would be overwhelmed with corruption, political interference,inefficiencies and on and on.
I can barely believe it but our cradle to the grave universal system for every man woman and child in Canada cost our government about half per capita than the US government already spends on healthcare. When you add to that the trillions of dollars spent on insurance premiums, co pays and direct paying people you end up with something like... Canada gets close to ten times the results than the USA does for every dollar spent in the system.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:29 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Yes...IF we get rid of insurance, and make treatment and procedures affordable! It's INSURANCE that drives the prices up....If you could go to the hospital and have it cost, say, $100 for a day's stay, with an IV and bandaid...most folks could pay that, considering they wouldn't be paying thousands on insurance fees!

Insurance is the culprit in the high, insane prices of treatment!

Old 05-10-2016, 08:02 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Yes...IF we get rid of insurance, and make treatment and procedures affordable! It's INSURANCE that drives the prices up....If you could go to the hospital and have it cost, say, $100 for a day's stay, with an IV and bandaid...most folks could pay that, considering they wouldn't be paying thousands on insurance fees!

Insurance is the culprit in the high, insane prices of treatment!
I don't know if it would work, but I agree that the biggest problem is the cost of medical care.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I enjoy my universal healthcare. It's really wonderful and a very great boon for Canadians. I don't believe that such a system is possible in the USA. Just take a look at the example of Walter Reid hospital and tell me! can these same people run a system for all Americans? Not a chance. It would be overwhelmed with corruption, political interference,inefficiencies and on and on.
I can barely believe it but our cradle to the grave universal system for every man woman and child in Canada cost our government about half per capita than the US government already spends on healthcare. When you add to that the trillions of dollars spent on insurance premiums, co pays and direct paying people you end up with something like... Canada gets close to ten times the results than the USA does for every dollar spent in the system.
How are those inventive taxes? Got to pay for that "free" stuff somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies