Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:39 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times

Advertisements

Or he could do like Obama and give the enemy fair warning on when/how/where he is going to strike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 06:47 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,592 times
What right is it of the U.S. to decide who can and can't have nuclear weapons? Just because you view a country as good, means they might be able to have them. You decide they are bad, sorry no nukes for you.

How would you like it if another country, say Japan, dictated that the U.S. can't have weapons?

Old 05-19-2016, 06:51 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
What right is it of the U.S. to decide who can and can't have nuclear weapons? Just because you view a country as good, means they might be able to have them. You decide they are bad, sorry no nukes for you.

How would you like it if another country, say Japan, dictated that the U.S. can't have weapons?
Exactly!

The U.S has military bases throughout the world. Imagine if a foreign country were to say "we're going to put a military base in Tennessee".

Who are we to enforce democracy in the middle east? That's like russia waging war on us and enforcing communism here.

The U.S need to mind their business and start focusing on the U.S Focus on protecting our borders and focus on strengthening our economy. They need to stop being the world's police.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:38 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Jayy View Post
They're letting us stay because we pay.
America basically pays only for the salaries, equipment and other costs directly associated with the 50,000 troops and 40,000 dependents that are stationed in Japan (about $6 billion per year). They would still need to be paid, fed and equipped if they were stationed elsewhere.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
UNbelievable.

It does, indeed, take all kinds.
Are you saying you are willing to pay higher taxes to pay for these wars?

Old 05-19-2016, 07:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
America basically pays only for the salaries, equipment and other costs directly associated with the 50,000 troops and 40,000 dependents that are stationed in Japan (about $6 billion per year). They would still need to be paid, fed and equipped if they were stationed elsewhere.
Or we would have to quit exporting jobs.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:53 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
You don't trust Japan with nuclear weapons? Kerry and Obama trust Iran with them, apparently.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:01 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Every nation has a militarist faction. Just because the far-right militarists and expansionists in Japan don't have that much political power right now doesn't mean that it's not a possibility in the future. If Japan gets nukes, its will have become a great military power overnight. Once Japan acquires nukes, there is nothing to stop it from developing a first-class Navy, a first-class Army, Air Force, etc. Its economy is already larger than all of the countries in the world except for the US and China.
See, this is the point I take the most issue with. Ignoring your passive support for military imperialism, you're basically arguing that because they could become a threat, we should have a strong military presence there.

Name one country this isn't true for.

Moldova could find oil, sell it, invest that money into their economy, rapidly expand, create a powerful military, and start overtaking surrounding countries. Should we invade Moldova?

Old 05-19-2016, 10:01 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
I am assuming that there are a lot of Trump supporters on this forum. I am also assuming that you know that he has said that he would be okay with Japan developing a nuclear arsenal and/or withdrawing US troops from Japan (assuming that they don't pay us enough for it).

How can you still support Trump after he has said this?

Fact 1: The very reason Japan accepts the current military alliance, where the US pays for the lion's share of Japan's defense costs, is because it's cheap for Japan! Believe me when I say that our military presence over there isn't very popular with a lot of the Japanese. They're letting us stay because we pay. Once we make them pay above a certain amount, the cost-benefit calculation for Japan would shift toward providing for their own defense.

Every nation has a militarist faction. Just because the far-right militarists and expansionists in Japan don't have that much political power right now doesn't mean that it's not a possibility in the future. If Japan gets nukes, its will have become a great military power overnight. Once Japan acquires nukes, there is nothing to stop it from developing a first-class Navy, a first-class Army, Air Force, etc. Its economy is already larger than all of the countries in the world except for the US and China.

Would anyone care to defend Trump's statements?
It would be nice if you started a thread discussion by actually including a link to him saying any of this. All we have is your word for it.

Last edited by OICU812; 05-19-2016 at 10:22 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 08:52 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,131,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
We have 52,060 military personnel in Japan. I have heard that the number hasn't dipped below 50,000 since the end of WWII.

WWII ended 71 years ago.

71 years from now will we have 52,060 military personnel there?

Hillary supporters, can we afford the status quo, of having more soldiers than we truly need, and deploying them all over the world? 24,899 in South Korea, 36,691 in Germany, 11,799 in Italy, 8,920 in Britain, etc...

We nearly have as many soldiers in Italy as we do in Afghanistan and Iraq combined.

I realize that some want us to be world police, but we can't afford it indefinitely. We spend more on our military and with our alliances that enables our allies to spend more on their own people.

We have to renegotiate this.

We are $19,300,000,000,000.00 in debt.
Yes, I think this idea of Trump arming Japan with nukes is a good idea. I have a feeling China will be deterred more by a nuclear Japan, than by just a US nuclear deterrent as it has been. I'm sure Japan, given their experience with Fukushima, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, would exercise the utmost caution in the handling and use of nuclear weapons. They should be given intermediate range nukes capable of hitting all points in North Korea, China, and Eastern Russia. Those US troops could be better used elsewhere, I do think the troops in South Korea need to stay put for now, but arming South Korea with short range nukes might allow us to draw down troops there as well. Why do we have 9k troops in the UK, and 11K in Italy? I see no purpose to that. Those troops should be moved to Eastern Europe, as Russia is the greater threat to Europe, aside from ISIS and Muslim immigrants.

I hope Trump can find a way to refinance the national debt at lower interest rates, this is critical as we are getting close to the point where the fed will need to raise interest rates, the debt load from the increased interest paid on national debt will be crushing. I like this idea from Trump, hope he can pull it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies