Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 08:11 AM

295 posts, read 181,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Your second paragraph has nothing to do with this article, oh wait, my bad, rant

She said

She lives in a world that is built for men. Rewards men. Glorifies men.

I don't think this is what "society" teaches us. This might be what she teaches her daughter. Big difference.

In term of the second bolded, well, because they wanted to. My parents taught me to be polite, if I don't like to be approached, then let them down politely, "I am very flattered, but I am not interested." Most men will stop. If they don't handle the rejection well, it is their problem. But most men do act "normal" and respectful, do they not?

There are many little girls call my nephews their "boyfriends." to that, my nephews responses have always been "eeewwww" They are five and six years old now, I am sure when they are 18 and above, they would like the attention they get from girls. Bottom line, women and men are friends, they shouldn't be enemies.

The bottom line, if "society" as a whole teaches women a world is built by men, reward men, glorify men, then such "society" would be in big trouble.
That's not what society teaches us? So why are women to blame when men attack them? Why are men still paid more than women? Why are the overwhelming majority of politicians and CEO's men?

Don't get me wrong, I think our boys need support too. Like I said, I don't hate men. I do hate that many believe that men can be held to a different standard than women though. And I'd like that changed. simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 08:18 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
This mom is just covering her bases so that when her daughter is 20 year old crackhead on skid row, she can point back to this post and blame it on our patriarchal society.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Now the regulars can enter the bathroom with you, legally and its all good
They already could anyway. There was never any law that prohibited men from a women's bathroom.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
well, like I posted earlier, I worry about false accusation because I have three adorable nephews and one godson. If they grow up to be respectful and intelligent men, (and they would) I want them to be treated exactly the way they deserve to be treated.

I don't know where did you meet such men. MOST men who approached me act very polite and normal. (I don't doubt your experience, however)

When I tell them, "I am very flattered, but I am not interested." Most stop. Some PEOPLE handle rejection well, SOME don't. SOME People are vindictive and angry, SOME are not. This is the risk everybody needs to take while walking on the street. I had a woman throwing trash at me for no reasons when I walked alone on the street of downtown LA, she was obviously mentally disturbed. I am not going to say, "ALL mental ill patients are violent" But I will be more careful of my surroundings, that is all. I also accept the risk I have to take while walking on ANY streets in any countries.

This mother says

She lives in a world that is built for men. Rewards men. Glorifies men.

Teaching her daughter that will not help her daughter. In my opinion. It doesn't help the situation.
I have a son and 8 beautiful nephews and I have repeatedly (especially now that the "older" set are teens) told them to NEVER touch a girl all of the sudden and to not be a pervert. I talk to the older set often about how most girls do not like to be harrassed or cat-called and those that do are not girls they want to be with anyway for any sort of meaningful relationship.

I also am not a man hater. I am one of 4 kids and I was the only girl. I was lucky in that I have some rather large brothers (they are all over 6 feet) who protected me along with my dad when we were out in public. All my brothers have had to intervene at least once when some random guy has done or said something perverted to me. So they are aware of this sort of thing. My daughter was the only little girl in our family until recently. Both our little girls will have protection by their dads, grandfathers, brothers, and cousins, however, girls are not always around their family members and those boys in our family need to be made aware not to treat other girls in a way of which they would be angered if we were treated or spoken to in such a way.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:26 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharinganAi View Post
That's not what society teaches us? So why are women to blame when men attack them? Why are men still paid more than women? Why are the overwhelming majority of politicians and CEO's men?
First of all, you need to define "society" You are part of the society, I am part of the society.

I don't teach any girls or any boys this world belongs to men, this world glorifies men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharinganAi View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think our boys need support too. Like I said, I don't hate men. I do hate that many believe that men can be held to a different standard than women though. And I'd like that changed. simple.
And that is fine. But this rant has nothing to do with it. I agree with the mom that transgendered people in the bathroom should NOT be considered as number 1 threat of little girls or women, but the rant soon turn into weird man hating which is counterproductive.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:32 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The point is that the argument from conservatives about how sex offenders are going to attack women more due to Target's bathroom policy (we have threads arguing this recently) is stupid. If a sex offender wants to assault you, he/she will do it whether they're technically allowed in the bathroom or not; they don't exactly follow rules.
So, if a group of women want additional lights installed at the park due to safety concerns, the answer is "if a man wants to attack you, he will do it regardless of how light it is."

I guess you also thing having sexual predator lists is also a waste of time.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
First of all, you need to define "society" You are part of the society, I am part of the society.

I don't teach any girls or any boys this world belongs to men, this world glorifies men.

And that is fine. But this rant has nothing to do with it. I agree with the mom that transgendered people in the bathroom should NOT be considered as number 1 threat of little girls or women, but the rant soon turn into weird man hating which is counterproductive.
I don't see where you are getting this.

She only stated that it is a fact that girls are harrassed and assaulted by non-transgendered men out in public and are WAY more likely to be victimized in this fashion versus in a bathroom.

I too think it is hypocritical in regards to all these men trying to "protect" us from men in ladies bathrooms when they make excuses for the verbal cat-calling/harrassment of men against women on the street. Or they think it is okay to grab a woman's arm while she is walking down the street or rub her butt or breast.

Also rapists are primarily non-transgendered men and they don't always rape in bathrooms. These are facts and I think too often these pseudo "news" stories in regards to transgendered people in bathrooms is just a way to rile people up and use girls/women as "victims" when by all accounts any rape or molestation of a girl/woman will occur with a non-transgendered man she knows at home and not in a public restroom.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:36 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
when they make excuses for the verbal cat-calling/harrassment of men against women on the street. Or they think it is okay to grab a woman's arm while she is walking down the street or rub her butt or breast.
Specifically, who are these "they"?

Old 05-20-2016, 08:38 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I don't see where you are getting this.

She only stated that it is a fact that girls are harrassed and assaulted by non-transgendered men out in public and are WAY more likely to be victimized in this fashion versus in a bathroom.
This is the direct quote

"she lives in a world that is built for men. Rewards men. Glorifies men"

My daughter is 6. We have so much to do. I have to raise a warrior.. To save her. From you."

Some men (especially men have little sisters and little daughters) can be overprotective, no more, no less. Even if they don't agree with this new bathroom rule, doesn't mean they are dangerous. Mother is overreacting.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Specifically, who are these "they"?
Here's an example of a group of them:

Christian Group Admits to Sending Men into Women's Bathrooms to Scare you Into Hating Trans People

Their time would be better spent teaching their young men not to be perverts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies