Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 08:08 AM

1,100 posts, read 634,479 times

Advertisements

We should just wipe the slate clean and rename every city/state in the US. Last names should be wiped clean as well...either we can go by first name only...or we can create our new last names.

What else? Anything else I forgot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:34 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
We should just wipe the slate clean and rename every city/state in the US. Last names should be wiped clean as well...either we can go by first name only...or we can create our new last names.

What else? Anything else I forgot?
I don't like this idea.......what about Apache Junction, AZ, Whiskeytown, Christmas Valley, Oregon, Eggnog, Utah or Santa Claus, Indiana.

Idaho has many cities and towns named after explorers the stories are very interesting. Council, Idaho was given the name because it was a place the Indians in the area gathered to plan their hunts, fishing, berry & mushroom picking and community planning.

I think some people tend to hate Americas past they overlook the NA had a lot to do with naming America. America does not have as dark of a past as so many lead us to believe. The Nez Perce and the Cherokee have had very good working relations with white men, too bad so many are falling for the lies of progressive idiots.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:36 AM

1,100 posts, read 634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I don't like this idea.......what about Apache Junction, AZ, Whiskeytown, Christmas Valley, Oregon, Eggnog, Utah or Santa Claus, Indiana.

Idaho has many cities and towns named after explorers the stories are very interesting. Council, Idaho was given the name because it was a place the Indians in the area gathered to plan their hunts, fishing, berry & mushroom picking and community planning.

I think some people tend to hate Americas past they overlook the NA had a lot to do with naming America. America does not have as dark of a past as so many lead us to believe. The Nez Perce and the Cherokee have had very good working relations with white men, too bad so many are falling for the lies of progressive idiots.
But the Indians slaughter the white people!!! I'm triggered that you're not triggered by the fact that Indians murdered the white explorers!!!

/Muh safe space

Old 05-20-2016, 01:02 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Are you native American? Do you have NA blood? If not, you don't have a say in the matter because a lot of NA are proud of the name and the team. There's a small vocal minority raising a stink about it.
Obviously you did not read previous posts. I do not dislike the name for pc reasons. I just think it's a dumb name for a sports team.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Those who usually are offended are not of that race, religion, etc.

It's just more of PC BS.
you got that right. Only the libs, who insist everything must be politically correct and spend their time stirring up trouble whenever they can, care. Actually it should be a name many are proud of. It has been part of the franchise forever. it means they are fighters, and don't give up. BTW I am a huge Redskins supporter. I wouldn't want to see them called anything else.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:44 PM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
"Washington Caucasions"
"Washington Redskin Potatoes"
"The only part I found offensive was 'Washington'"

As a fan let me tell you we've all heard these jokes a thousand times.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:01 PM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I guess this is gonna really irritate some people, but 9 out of 10 Native Americans don't mind the term "Redskin" since 2004 it has not changed.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...f9a_story.html
But us white liberals just need to educate the little people, in this case Native Americans, why they should be offended by the NFL team name Redskins. 9% of them are offended and that is a good start to ban it as is, ignore that a far greater percentage say that they take pride in the name and the rest are indifferent.

In all serious, liberals don't think things through very well.

Years ago, I had a white liberal professor talking about how painful and offensive the name Redskins and Chiefs were in the NFL. She pointed out that they don't use white ethnic names for mascots, I quickly pointed out the "Notre Dame Fighting Irish." She said that "Chief" has a religious connotation, and that white conservative Americans would never tolerate religious names for mascots, being a sports fan I was able to point out the "New Orleans Saints, University of Pennsylvania Quakers, and the Providence College Friars." She reiterated how it was so offensive to minorities, and whites have never been held back so it isn't offensive to them...

Are we going to have to start changing state names like South and North Dakota - Dakota, after all is a type of people?

If it is done in a respectful manner, it is an honor. Mascots are things to take pride in. I can understand some of the anti-Cleveland Indians face images, as they are more caricatures. But with only 9% of Native Americans upset, despite decades of liberals beating this over and over...seems a bit ridiculous.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 05-23-2016 at 05:10 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 05:15 PM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I do not dislike the name for pc reasons. I just think it's a dumb name for a sports team.
The team is named after Lone Star Deitz, a man whose mother and wife were Sioux. He was born on an Indian Reservation, he played football at the Carlisle Indian School, his wife was an acclaimed Native American artist, he was good friends with Native American super athlete Jim Thorpe, and he was fully a part of Native American culture.

He went on to coach the Washington NFL team and the team is named after him, to honor him, not insult him, as "Redskin" was his nickname given to him by teammates when he played in the pros.

One might argue that it would be an insult to Lone Star Dietz to change the name to something bland like "Wildcats" because white liberals don't like it.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:19 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Are you native American? Do you have NA blood? If not, you don't have a say in the matter because a lot of NA are proud of the name and the team. There's a small vocal minority raising a stink about it.

what's it to you then wasting space commenting on it when you should butt out of the conversation since we are talking redskins and not rednecks?

Old 05-26-2016, 11:42 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharinganAi View Post
Nah, they don't seem to mind at all..

Or do they? And no one thinks it's offensive?

Source: Are You Ready For Some Controversy? The History Of 'Redskin' : Code Switch : NPR
ugh. really? you quote the activists???? and act like that means something?

No one said "no one thinks its offensive.

The OP pointed out that 90% don't think so. stop drinking PROG Coolaid. its poison and will eventually kill you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies