Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 02:49 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times

Advertisements

[MOD CUT/inappropriate]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...-are-dangerous

Oh and sorry it should say Washington Post. Forgive me, Im ina helicopter.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-27-2016 at 07:50 AM..

Old 05-18-2016, 03:11 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,505,136 times
He was probably referring to certain sections.

I would have to agree with him.

I lived in Bogota, Colombia for 3 months. I never felt that scared or uncomfortable anywhere I went, which included the downtown "bad" area.

I have been to downtown Oakland twice. I was extremely uncomfortable both times. The crime statistics in some neighborhoods in Oakland are absolutely ridiculous.

I'm sure that if you isolated certain neighborhoods in Oakland, you'd find some of the most dangerous places in the world.

The thing with Oakland is, it's very large, and a good part of it is segregated to the west and is well off and low crime, so that brings the numbers down quite a bit.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:26 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
He was probably referring to certain sections.

I would have to agree with him.

I lived in Bogota, Colombia for 3 months. I never felt that scared or uncomfortable anywhere I went, which included the downtown "bad" area.

I have been to downtown Oakland twice. I was extremely uncomfortable both times. The crime statistics in some neighborhoods in Oakland are absolutely ridiculous.

I'm sure that if you isolated certain neighborhoods in Oakland, you'd find some of the most dangerous places in the world.

The thing with Oakland is, it's very large, and a good part of it is segregated to the west and is well off and low crime, so that brings the numbers down quite a bit.
Being "comfortable" and being endangered are two entirely different things. You should learn the difference.

And beyond that, two visits to anywhere -- and especially a city as diverse (both income-wise and ethnically) as Oakland-- are hardly enough to judge a place fairly. Depending on the weather, time of day, weekend or weeknight, level of activity, presence of concerts or street fairs, where exactly you are, etc etc, how "comfortable" downtown Oakland makes you feel can vary wildly.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:30 PM

25,585 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
[MOD CUT/inappropriate]

www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/05/18/donald-trump-somehow-thinks-ferguson-and-oakland-are-dangerous

Oh and sorry it should say Washington Post. Forgive me, Im ina helicopter.
Darn. Guess he will have to do without the 6 votes he would have gotten from Ferguson and Oakland combined. How dare he trash these fine cities!?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-27-2016 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post and reply

Old 05-18-2016, 03:47 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Darn. Guess he will have to do without the 6 votes he would have gotten from Ferguson and Oakland combined. How dare he trash these fine cities!?
Ignorant bigot is probably a better descriptor. The guy just rambles about so many things he knows nothing about, throwing out one unfounded insult/offensive remark after the next.

People seem to like him (I hear) because he's "telling it like it is...". The problem is that the crud that's spewing from his mouth is VERY often NOT actually the way it is. This article is just yet another example of this.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-27-2016 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 05-18-2016, 04:17 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,505,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Being "comfortable" and being endangered are two entirely different things. You should learn the difference.

And beyond that, two visits to anywhere -- and especially a city as diverse (both income-wise and ethnically) as Oakland-- are hardly enough to judge a place fairly. Depending on the weather, time of day, weekend or weeknight, level of activity, presence of concerts or street fairs, where exactly you are, etc etc, how "comfortable" downtown Oakland makes you feel can vary wildly.
Well, statistics also say I'm much more likely to be a victim of a crime in Oakland, so I'm pretty sure the feelings were justified.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:08 PM

25,585 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Ignorant bigot is probably a better descriptor. The guy just rambles about so many things he knows nothing about, throwing out one unfounded insult/offensive remark after the next.

People seem to like him (I hear) because he's "telling it like it is...". The problem is that the crud that's spewing from his mouth is VERY often NOT actually the way it is. This article is just yet another example of this.
The point of course, which you missed, is that Trump didn't call ANYONE a [MOD CUT/inappropriate] The OP did that. To Trump. But somehow, it has pretzled around in your mind that Trump called someone a douche bag.

Kinda weird, the way y'all do that.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-27-2016 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post and reply

Old 05-20-2016, 12:31 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,025,340 times
Of course Trump's statement is hyperbole, but parts of Oakland are dangerous. It's hard to fathom much outrage. Defensive insecurities only serve the status quo - a tacit suggestion that the current situation in Oaktown is somehow OK.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:54 AM

977 posts, read 1,012,283 times
Really guys, really, when I say it's raining cats and dogs is it really? Stop looking for excuses to bash on people... It seems that's the new hobbie for a certain group of people...

Old 05-20-2016, 07:59 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Really guys, really, when I say it's raining cats and dogs is it really? Stop looking for excuses to bash on people... It seems that's the new hobbie for a certain group of people...
I know right? Like saying Oakland is the most dangerous place in the world or that we have to kick out certain people! Why do some people feels this need to bash on other people?!!

And when the people being bashed stood up and defend themselves, people like you jumped in, take the side of the offender, and say the act of defending, not the act of bashing, is wrong.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies