Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 03:25 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
In almost every way. Probably the most obvious is that it is more likely than not that future generations will be less prosperous than past ones. As I have posted elsewhere, our levels of freedom are decreasing by virtually every index that measures such things.

Every way and every index is not an answer they are copouts. What exactly are you angry about?

You say that violence is needed to correct what you feel is a serious decline in the condition of our country and this is the best you can do to explain why?

How are we becoming less prosperous? What specific freedoms have been eroded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 03:25 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
We're talking about a country that managed to essentially rip itself apart over slavery.
I prefer the term "immoral profiteering" as opposed to slavery... which is anything outside of capitalism...so basically everything this country stands for.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:46 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn
Quote:
My dad was military, and my late husband and 2 brothers-in-law plus two son-in-laws did their 4 year stint and got the heck out, and they saw the BS that went on in Vietnam!

Originally Posted by Florist
Quote:
I served there and we were lied to daily. Just like they were lying to the people here at the same time.

So true, me and my family saw this when I sent a package including fudge made by my brother-in-law to trade for a pair of combat boots,which my husband sent wrapped in a newspaper from DaNang,
totally different accounts of the battles than we were being fed at home, as the Tet Offensive proved!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 05-24-2016 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 03:50 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Every way and every index is not an answer they are copouts. What exactly are you angry about?

You say that violence is needed to correct what you feel is a serious decline in the condition of our country and this is the best you can do to explain why?

How are we becoming less prosperous? What specific freedoms have been eroded?
I'll give you examples and you will come up with leftist talking points about how our rights aren't being eroded. The fact is that by the quantitative standards that measure freedoms, they are being eroded. For the country that is supposed to best reflect freedom, our level of freedom compared to others countries is not very good.

Our economic and press freedoms are worse. Free speech rights are declining in the name of protecting feelings and preferred political groups. Same for religious rights.

You won't see it though. Leftists will say we are paranoid. But it doesn't matter what you think. Half the country thinks it and that is what matters. This continual back and forth of each ideological faction ramming their policies on the other side that finds them morally repugnant will eventually reach a breaking point.

Ask yourself this: in normal times, would Donald Trump have any remote shot at the presidency, let alone the republican nomination in the bag as well as a lead over super establishment Hillary Clinton in several polls? Trump's situation is all the proof needed about how pissed off half the country is right now.

Last edited by War Beagle; 05-24-2016 at 04:22 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 04:28 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,510 times
Quote:
I'll give you examples and you will come up with leftist talking points about how our rights aren't being eroded. The fact is that by the quantitative standards that measure freedoms, they are being eroded. For the country that is supposed to best reflect freedom, our level of freedom compared to others countries is not very good.

Our economic and press freedoms are worse. Free speech rights are declining in the name of protecting feelings and preferred political groups. Same for religious rights.

You won't see it though. Leftists will say we are paranoid. But it doesn't matter what you think. Half the country thinks it and that is what matters. This continual back and forth of each ideological faction ramming their policies on the other side that finds them morally repugnant will eventually reach a breaking point.

Using the term quantitative implies that you have some objective, measurable data that indicates which specific freedoms have been eroded. Where is your data and support for this claim?

Can you seriously not name one specific thing that you think signifies the decline of our country? Name just one thing that you could do ten years ago that the government has taken away from you or prohibited.

You say economic freedoms - which ones and how are they worse?

You say press freedoms - what has changed? Are journalists being arrested and imprisoned?

Free speech rights - Have people been arrested and imprisoned for speech?

Religious rights - Are you no longer free to practice your religion? Or are you referring to the "religious freedom" to discriminate and take away the rights of others?

Old 05-24-2016, 04:35 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:

Ask yourself this: in normal times, would Donald Trump have any remote shot at the presidency, let alone the republican nomination in the bag as well as a lead over super establishment Hillary Clinton in several polls? Trump's situation is all the proof needed about how pissed off half the country is right now.
I think you are confusing freedom of speech with freedom of saying whatever you want without consequences.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:41 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Everyone should live on their own ranch in the middle of nowhere, pump their own water, grow their own food and home school their children, live off the land, anything more is an infringement on their rights.

It would be helpful if some of these people indicated the sate or area they live, I don't think I will be surprised. They don't want to support the country, just want to remain in their isolated world.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Using the term quantitative implies that you have some objective, measurable data that indicates which specific freedoms have been eroded. Where is your data and support for this claim?

Can you seriously not name one specific thing that you think signifies the decline of our country? Name just one thing that you could do ten years ago that the government has taken away from you or prohibited.

You say economic freedoms - which ones and how are they worse?

You say press freedoms - what has changed? Are journalists being arrested and imprisoned?

Free speech rights - Have people been arrested and imprisoned for speech?

Religious rights - Are you no longer free to practice your religion? Or are you referring to the "religious freedom" to discriminate and take away the rights of others?
I'm not your mama. Google "freedom indices" and see the data for yourself. We are simply not the pinnacle of freedom in the world regardless of the category.

And you did exactly what I knew you would. I gave you examples and you just pooh poohed them away as I said you would. Like I said, it doesn't matter what you think because half the country is pissed off whether you think they should be or not.

Do you think Donald Trump would have had a chance in hell of being elected president 10 years ago? Do you not realize the utter desperation that illustrates when half the country is so frustrated and angry that they think their best hope is a reality tv host with a legendary combover and policies that have more than a whiff of fascism? That's where we are whether you see it or not.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:11 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,091,790 times
I was a very young child during WW2. But I do remember rationing and rounding up USA citizens, confiscating their property just because the government did not like their ethnic background. I also remember Joseph McCarthy and wonder why he was permitted to do what he did.

My family is no worse off now, than then. The IRS monitored every every banking move my step father made because he had 2 totally cash businesses. No different today, due to computers.

Any PC talk is from society, not the government. Any problem with media! IMO, is due to the government allowing it all to be owned and/or controlled by fewer than 10 people.

People today are far less informed they were in the 40s and 50s. I suspect they are also less curious.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I also remember Joseph McCarthy and wonder why he was permitted to do what he did.
Turns out old joe was right about our government having been riddled with communists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies