Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 04:20 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,533 times

Advertisements

First, by NO MEANS am I bashing the Catholics - BELIEVE me! As someone considering a conversion, I'm simply interested in knowing how Catholics view Jesus' statement that there was a wide road and wide gate that leads to destruction, and that many would take that road - but there was a narrow road and narrow gate the led to life, and few would find it. Well, since there are currently 1 billion Catholics in the world, and there have been millions more over the centuries, is that considered "few"? I mean, do Catholics believe all Catholics will be saved? And if not, how do you tell the narrow road apart from the wide one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 08:51 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
First, by NO MEANS am I bashing the Catholics - BELIEVE me! As someone considering a conversion, I'm simply interested in knowing how Catholics view Jesus' statement that there was a wide road and wide gate that leads to destruction, and that many would take that road - but there was a narrow road and narrow gate the led to life, and few would find it. Well, since there are currently 1 billion Catholics in the world, and there have been millions more over the centuries, is that considered "few"? I mean, do Catholics believe all Catholics will be saved? And if not, how do you tell the narrow road apart from the wide one?
Pretty much the Catholic take is the same as the other denoms on this one thing. They don't think just because you are Catholic you are automatically saved and they don't think Christians who are not Catholic aren't saved. They believe that if you truly believe in Christ and lead a life that is in accordance with the teachings of the church (by actions and works you will be known and judged) you will be saved. If you don't you aren't...you will be the one at the gate who thought because you showed up every sunday you were covered...and Jesus will say he didn't know you. Make sense?

Old 09-11-2007, 09:40 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I struggle with how to answer your question. First I want to say I pray for your conversion, that it will lead you to a more full and joyfull relationship with JESUS CHRIST.

I'm going to take the easy way out ( bless Irish for taking a stab ) and simply say that the Catholic Church is very open to inquiry.

I converted to the Catholic Church about ten years ago, and questioned everything in the process. I was fortunate to have two very bright young preists, a proffessor of theology, an old pre vatican two nun, and a pesky old church lady ( who was a joy ) as the group that led me through formation. You can imagine the discussions. Nothing was off the table.
The whole experience was one of the highlights of my life! I would highly recommend looking into it.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I struggle with how to answer your question. First I want to say I pray for your conversion, that it will lead you to a more full and joyfull relationship with JESUS CHRIST.

I'm going to take the easy way out ( bless Irish for taking a stab ) and simply say that the Catholic Church is very open to inquiry.

I converted to the Catholic Church about ten years ago, and questioned everything in the process. I was fortunate to have two very bright young preists, a proffessor of theology, an old pre vatican two nun, and a pesky old church lady ( who was a joy ) as the group that led me through formation. You can imagine the discussions. Nothing was off the table.
The whole experience was one of the highlights of my life! I would highly recommend looking into it.
My husband described the adult catechism classes as very exciting. Imagine him there with all his preconcieved "Catholics are evil" teaching he grew up with questioning everything he'd ever heard! God bless the teacher of that class!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:08 PM

Rob this isn't a Catholic website but it does explain the Vatican II take on the salvation of those that are non-Catholic accurately and in simple terms.

Can non-Catholics be saved, according to the Roman Catholic Church?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 AM

292 posts, read 934,182 times
Post What I was taught while in the Catholic faith

As a child growing up in Catholocism I was taught that if you were a Catholic you were going to heaven, if you weren't a Catholic you were going to hell. Yes, this is what I was taught. But in order to go to heaven you had to go through certain rituals. The last one being "last rites" prayed over you by a priest.
Ok. I accepted Christ in a movie theatre. When I told this to my Catholic mother she told me it was dumb what I did.
After being baptised in the HOly Spirit and wanting to be led by the Holy Spirit I decided to start attending a certain church that taught bible study. I was called and asked during this time to become a C.C.D. teacher as I was subbing for it. I was all excited and shared with the priest that I was going to start attending a new church where I was feeling led to go to. The priest said he was sorry that I was leaving the church. That it was well known in the bible that only Catholics were going to heaven!
I explained to him that the "church" in the bible was referring to believers of Jesus Christ!
It is written in the Word of God,
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Also:
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Ephesians 2:8 & 9

It helps alot to learn to read the bible for yourself and not just take man's word on what it says or means. The Holy Spirit will give you discernment as to what is true!
Many blessings to you all today!!!
Jean

Old 09-12-2007, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 16,812 times
Default catholics

One thing to remember is that unfortunately the Roman Catholic Church does in fact have a tainted history. For years and years they preached good work, prayer, and deeds while making the "Church" more about man versus Jesus. This trend continued on to what can only be titled the "old" Catholic ways. I hear my mother and older family members talk about how in school (all Catholic school, might I add) they were taught only Catholics go to heaven - when I hear these things I find it sooo absurd! I am a young mid-20's women who went through 13 years of Catholic school and not ONCE did I ever hear this statment. The "newer age" Catholic teachings are (finally!) becoming SLIGHTLY more tolerable. I was taught that all good moral people who believed in Christ and did good works and treated others well would go to Heaven. How can a suppossed HOLY ORDER say that just because a child is born into say, a Protestant family, he/she shouldn't go to heaven??? IT makes no sense. My only hope is that what I learned in my school was not an individual thing and it is being taught in that way all over.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyanne527 View Post
One thing to remember is that unfortunately the Roman Catholic Church does in fact have a tainted history. For years and years they preached good work, prayer, and deeds while making the "Church" more about man versus Jesus. This trend continued on to what can only be titled the "old" Catholic ways. I hear my mother and older family members talk about how in school (all Catholic school, might I add) they were taught only Catholics go to heaven - when I hear these things I find it sooo absurd! I am a young mid-20's women who went through 13 years of Catholic school and not ONCE did I ever hear this statment. The "newer age" Catholic teachings are (finally!) becoming SLIGHTLY more tolerable. I was taught that all good moral people who believed in Christ and did good works and treated others well would go to Heaven. How can a suppossed HOLY ORDER say that just because a child is born into say, a Protestant family, he/she shouldn't go to heaven??? IT makes no sense. My only hope is that what I learned in my school was not an individual thing and it is being taught in that way all over.

I've cut an pasted a response I gave in another thread. Thought it would save me from typing it again, and I couldn't respond any better in my own words;

"Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ, or his Church, but who nevertheless seek GOD with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace,try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience-those too may acheive eternal salvation"

#847 Catechism of the Catholic Church

Last edited by Oakback; 09-12-2007 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: speliing....AGAIN!

Old 09-12-2007, 02:18 PM

292 posts, read 934,182 times
Red face Back in my day...

I must admit, it's been quite some years since that last priest told me I was going to hell for changing churches. About 16 years ago to be exact!
Please forgive me if I stepped on any of your toes! It's the last thing I intended to do!!!
God bless and peace to your homes!
Jean

Old 09-12-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruralgalnebraska View Post
I must admit, it's been quite some years since that last priest told me I was going to hell for changing churches. About 16 years ago to be exact!
Please forgive me if I stepped on any of your toes! It's the last thing I intended to do!!!
God bless and peace to your homes!
Jean
If your referring to us "papists", at least for my part, no apology needed

I understand you feelings, really. I'm a convert, my wife is a cradle catholic.
She was frankly shocked when I told her one morning I was becoming Catholic.
I've heard of many abuses of doctrine and misinformation, by clergy and laity, that has aliented, and in fact damaged many people. As a Catholic,I will apologize for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity