Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 07:20 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,495,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
So a world famous athlete was underage drinking, having sex outside, got caught and ran away. That doesn't mean he ran because he thought he was raping her. But even if true, anyone who puts themselves into that situation is not totally free from responsibility.
Unconscious people cannot consent to sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 08:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
People have spent more time in jail for shoplifting.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Actually that''s not true the DA would make that
call.
A lot of cases never even reach the DA.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:23 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Unconscious people cannot consent to sex.
There was no sex. And we don't know if she consented or not.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:26 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
She was twenty-two and a recent college grad at the time of the sexual assault. She attended the party as a guest of her younger sister, who was a student. I don't think there's anything terribly unusual about a twenty-two year old attending a college party with other people her age, regardless of whether or not she had attained her Bachelor's degree. Stanford currently enrolls 9,000-plus graduates students, most of whom would be older than twenty-two.*

Edit: Stanford 2015-2016 has undergraduate enrollment at 6,999 and graduate student enrollment at 9,771 for a total student population in of 16,770. Graduate students actually outnumber undergraduate students! A twenty-two year old on campus? Not unusual at all.
Not true. Who the hell hangs out at an undergrad party with their little sister at a college they don't attend and gets black out drunk? Some one looking for some younger blood.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
it's revolting to read all the comments on how this woman shouldn't have passed out drunk. did you forget your own teenage and college years? get real! we've all partied like rock stars.

this is about a violent attack on an unconscious woman. Him raping her was in no way her fault. This is not up for debate.
No, not everyone partied in college. When I was in college I was a single mother trying to better our lives. My whole focus was on taking care of her. I never partied a single time nor did I want to do so. I spent my college years studying hard and making Dean's/President's list and trying to land a good paying job (that never materialized). I never partied in my teenage years, either. I was an honor roll student.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:58 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Meanwhile the California lawmakers in Sacramento California passed a bill with a mandatory sentencing guideline of 3 years in state prison for what this young man did to this unconscious woman.

Rapist in the state of California beware of raping blacked
out drunk ladies from now on.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:38 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
There was no sex. And we don't know if she consented or not.
We absolutely do know that she did not consent. She was unconscious. Even if she had said, "Yes, yes, let's go behind the dumpster and make out" in front of witnesses and had a consent form notarized in triplicate, all that would be null and void if she passed out. Unconscious people can't consent.

I keep thinking a few posters simply don't understand what consent is, but I know this has been explained about 100 times.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:58 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
We absolutely do know that she did not consent. She was unconscious. Even if she had said, "Yes, yes, let's go behind the dumpster and make out" in front of witnesses and had a consent form notarized in triplicate, all that would be null and void if she passed out. Unconscious people can't consent.

I keep thinking a few posters simply don't understand what consent is, but I know this has been explained about 100 times.
Agreed. As usual, when people attempt to fully consider the circumstances of others, they fail. Whether it is the goody two-shoes who never partied while going to college trying to understand those who partied like it was 1999, or men trying to understand when a woman consents or not, just how complicated can any of this be?

Said before, and I say again, if you don't know or can't tell whether a woman actually wants sex, there is something wrong with you, especially if you take advantage of someone intoxicated well beyond reason, you are the one with the problem. Behind a dumpster as well? A real problem...

As to what is proper sentence or what sort of leniency is appropriate when it comes to a stupid young man/kid, I really don't know, but I suspect California is moving in the right direction. Like someone else commented, "if I were a family member of that girl," I would have one Hell of a serious talk with that girl, and I might also likely be the next one in jail for what I would do to Brock Turner.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:04 PM

77 posts, read 37,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
He's all white so it's alright. If he were black, I'm sure he wouldn't see the light of day until his 40s.
Or would've been shot and I would've been reading post of people saying something similar to " one less thug" or "that's what he deserved".. This guy actually has people arguing over the fact that he should possibly get a smaller punishment because he was drunk.. Idk man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies