Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:14 AM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
There is no agenda. Democrats just want eqality for all. Whether you accept transgender, gays or whatever is your problem
Dems push group think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 09:14 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,836 times
He didn't even win. Best showing was a top 3 placing. Meh

Old 06-06-2016, 09:31 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Do you deny the physiological facts that those born male generally have a higher lung capacity, larger bone structure, higher bone density, and leaner muscle structure?
No I do not deny that, but when a man is on hormone therapy for a period of time there are changes, according to the experts. I will re-post these links once again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...816_story.html

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...lete-interview

So do you think the experts are simply incompetent or lying? Do you know more then them? I know I don't.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Wrong. This is the POC forum. You want to play in this sandbox then politics always comes into play. You don't like it, there's always the Sports forum.

And I find it interesting you chose to quote me instead of the person who originally brought up a political party.
My point was in general the athletic world is more socially progressive then conservative regardless as to it's members aligning themselves with Dems or Repubs. Now if you want to trash Democrats when talking sports, feel free, but know your trashing a lot of athletes and coaches.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:47 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
He became one of the best female athletes in the entire state.
fixed

Old 06-06-2016, 09:48 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
It's time to do away with sexually segregated sports and just make one team for each sport. Men and women are equal for all other "standards". This sexism should be eliminated.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:13 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
No I do not deny that, but when a man is on hormone therapy for a period of time there are changes, according to the experts. I will re-post these links once again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...816_story.html

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...lete-interview

So do you think the experts are simply incompetent or lying? Do you know more then them? I know I don't.
In the WP article, the trans woman published an article in The Journal of Sporting Cultures and Identities, which I've never heard of, and her study is not available for review unless you pay for it. Was her research peer reviewed? How many subjects were studied? How long was the study? What is the demographic data of the study subjects? One study, regardless, is not valid for proof of anything in the scientific community. Her personal experience is also not science.

The Guardian article you reference is also not a scientific journal and anecdotal.

If you are going to argue the science that a male athlete on female hormones is the same as a female athlete, and not significantly advantaged in women's competitions, please put forward a reputable source for your argument. Feelings or anecdotal evidence is NOT science.

The overwhelming science shows men are different biologically than women. That fact is not controversial.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-06-2016 at 10:23 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 10:17 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
? From reading this article I am going to quote something.
"Born a MALE identifies as a FEMALE"

yeah the reason they have male vs female division is for this reason when it comes to sports.
Fair use of biological advantages OVERALL for the sexes.
So A man wins a all female track events and this history? More like cheating.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:31 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
I totally support transgender people in whatever legitimate goals they pursue - except this. I do believe that this is an inherently unfair advantage.

While it has been many years since my biology classes, I do seem to recall that there is a pretty significant difference between male and female musculature, mass, and mass distribution. Unless basic biology knowledge has changed since my HS days, or unless the sexual reassignment surgery now includes some alteration I have not heard of, then this is indeed an unfair advantage to other women.

If she wants to continue to compete as an athlete, then I would hope that she chooses a sport in which there is no male/female dividing line.

The only alternative I can think of is the abolish the male/female line in all sport, but that certainly would not be fair to the majority of female competitors.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
In the WP article, the trans woman published an article in The Journal of Sporting Cultures and Identities, which I've never heard of, and her study is not available for review unless you pay for it. Was her research peer reviewed? How many subjects were studied? How long was the study? What is the demographic data of the study subjects? One study, regardless, is not valid for proof of anything in the scientific community. Her personal experience is also not science.

The Guardian article you reference is also not a scientific journal and anecdotal.

If you are going to argue the science that a male athlete on female hormones is the same as a female athlete, and not significantly advantaged in women's competitions, please put forward a reputable source for your argument. Feelings or anecdotal evidence is NOT science.

The overwhelming science shows men are different biologically than women. That fact is not controversial.
Look, I can't answer your questions. I have been involved with the NCAA for years and trust what they came up with. I will link the 38 page policy if you care to read it. A policy was authored and voted on by their Board of Governors which includes former and current athletes, male and female.

I do not know what policies High School Sports Associations will come up with if any, but if a HS trans athlete does not meet the NCAA guidelines there will be no scholarship offers.

If the NCAA starts to witness a few trans female athletes competing as a women showing over-whelming clear advantages then changes will be made. Over-whelming meaning beating all, and not beating some and losing to others. For now I think the opposition is more out of ignorance, rather then giving it a try and seeing what happens. For the most part the majority of trans athletes will be F2M, and not M2F.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/f...2011_Final.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies