Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:26 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,741,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
There is NO better debt investment today than USD based. Not even a close 2nd place suiter today.
Besides we can always create money without the debt, we just haven't the balls/knowledge to do it.

In 100 years will our national debt be higher than today?
Sure it will.
And that means we have more USD. And I can't imagine a better thing to spend it on than our HC.
Into perpetuity.

"Cathcart grinned. "He got the cash money the same way we
have gotten all cash money since Roosevelt put the gold back in
the ground-right off the printing presses. But he didn't have to
print much of it. The checks were issued at the Bank and the
merchant and a great many others had accounts at the Bank and
very little cash money changed hands. The bulk of it was mere
bookkeeping entries, made by the bank clerks. Holmes had
implemented what the bankers had known for centuries but
were barred by LaGuardia from doing-taking money out of an
inkwell. What's the matter, son? Still not satisfied?"
"Well, I don't know. Everything you have said seems okay,
but how about this? If you keep pouring money into a country
indefinitely, you are bound to get inflation, fixed prices or no
fixed prices."
"You don't pour it in. You add just enough to keep it running.
Each fiscal period the additional amount is the closest possible
approximation of the amount necessary to prevent a spread
between consumption and production, based on the value of the
nation's inventories."
"But why do you have to keep adding money all the time?"
"I said I would stay away from theory but I'll give you this
hint to chew over: the amount necessary to add each period is
theoretically equal to the amount of savings invested as capital in
the preceding period. And one more hint: Doesn't it take more
money to run the country's industry now than it did when
George Washington was President?"

Robert A. Heinlein
'For Us, The Living'
Written in 1934, not published until 2001.
I've heard that line of reasoning. I just don't subscribe to it 100%.

Yes, we can create money... It doesn't mean it's sound economic policy. By that logic, print off 300,000 and send to every taxpayer account under stipulation that:

1. Mortgage is paid
2. Then student loans
3. Then cars
4. Then credit cards

Thereby effective rivalry wiping out 90+% of private debt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 03:37 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I've heard that line of reasoning. I just don't subscribe to it 100%.

Yes, we can create money... It doesn't mean it's sound economic policy. By that logic, print off 300,000 and send to every taxpayer account under stipulation that:

1. Mortgage is paid
2. Then student loans
3. Then cars
4. Then credit cards

Thereby effective rivalry wiping out 90+% of private debt
We could relieve all of the above debt by central means and in several ways. To do all the above inflation would be a certainty. But you must realize the other side of the accounting. I might represent a community or country, have a bank, a financial enterprise or other company or personal investments in debt based paper and expect that security and/or some future gains.

Inflation is always a possibility. But not always a definite.

Much of that depends on a whole host of other ongoing and concurrent factors. Like overall employment, availability of resources, trade and the current state of the US and world economies. War, famine. The relative value of the USD and where it is headed. Demands for USD here and abroad.

Then sometimes simple need surpasses all, as in War.

And as in WW2, our limits were in production, not money. Same with HC.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:50 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
All thinking Americans are in favor of universal healthcare for all. The only ones opposed are those making sickening profits from the current system and poor white Republicans who can't afford health care.

So tell me................................... how do those "thinking Americans" keep physician practices and hospitals from going bankrupt with "universal healthcare"? Keep in mind that the lowest payments for medicare go to those states which are the lowest cost, most efficient, and rated highest in quality. Our state is a perfect example, ranking #1 in quality and efficiency, yet are "rewarded" with the 2nd to last lowest reimbursement.

How do physicians in training afford to incur $350K of debt, yet not have the ability to pay off those loans?

How do you convince a potential medical student to undergo nearly ten years without income, only to incur massive debt and low wages?

How do you convince intelligent people to work 80-100 hour weeks for incomes that could be achieved with 40 work week jobs which require far less education?

Where does innovation occur in medicine with universal care? Currently MOST medical innovation occurs in the US and the rest of the world prospers.

How do you convince people used to "on demand" care that total joints, transplants, some cancer treatments, and "new" drugs are not available to them?

How do you convince a family that care must be withdrawn from a family member when there is greater than 90% mortality, without incurring litigation?

How do you convince the trial lawyer's association, which is a major funding source of the dem party, that malpractice limits and tort reform will be enacted?

Tell me.........................................oh wise "thinking American". It appears as though the "thinking American" has not thought too much about it.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:54 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
If Republicans were smarter, they would recognize, which way the wind will blow and get something in exchange for passing Universal Healthcare now.

Obama and the Democrats had the chance in 2009 to make a universal system and instead punted with Obamacare, which will leave 31 Million uninsured non-elderly people.
Where did you hear this?

Old 06-26-2016, 05:55 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Welcome to the VA America and all the problems with government using other peoples money, after they have taken their cut.

The perfect model to example government run and controlled healthcare.
All medical personnel all the way to pharmacists , would be government employees.
Well then don't get sick or need an operation.
The VA is a disgrace.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 968 times
The question was about Ammendment 69, ColoradoCare. My job is as a Health Coverage Guide. I assist clients (through a grant based program) to get health insurance in Colorado. At least 95% of my clients would have better insurance for less cost with Colorado Care. With ColoradoCare you need to really look at our current system, and decide whether universal coverage funded by a payroll tax would be better for you and your family. The price breaks I've seen are like this::
Couples that make about $125k annually would break even. Those that make less would be ahead. Those making more would be better served with our current system. YMMV. Check it out at Home - ColoradoCare

All I can say is if it doesn't pass, in 2-3 years we're gonna wish we'd passed it!! I'm voting yes in November.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 486 times
Default voters fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
If Republicans were smarter, they would recognize, which way the wind will blow and get something in exchange for passing Universal Healthcare now.

Obama and the Democrats had the chance in 2009 to make a universal system and instead punted with Obamacare, which will leave 31 Million uninsured non-elderly people.
Who came out screaming to their congressmen against Obamacare in August of 2009? The Republicans! If Democrat voters had been as demanding and vocal, if we had supported our president as he had requested, we would now have a one-payer system, Obama wouldn't have spent all of his political capital on health care, and the democrats might have even retained control of the house and senate. Obama didn't fail the democratic voters...the democratic voters failed Obama.

Democrats MUST remain politically active between elections, and not just vote and wait for results. Bernie Sanders knows this. 2018, not 2016, will be the true test of Sanders ability to rally the left..and make possible the promises the democrats are now making.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 1,581 times
I've paid into Medicare all my life. I'll be fully retired and on Medicare in a few months. Why on earth would I vote to increase the taxes on my retirement income to pay for ColoradoCare if I already have Medicare?

It looks to me, both from surveying my neighbors and then seeing the poll results from Magellan, that Amendment 69 is DOA, thank goodness.

http://magellanstrategies.com/amendm...pinion-survey/

Old 09-18-2016, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 409 times
If you are a retiree on Medicare prepare to be double dipped. Once by the Feds and again by Colorado Care. This is a supremely bad idea. What sort of myopic twits come up with this stuff.

Last edited by Lortez; 09-18-2016 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: Misspelling

Old 09-18-2016, 10:32 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lortez View Post
If you are a retiree on Medicare prepare to be double dipped. Once by the Feds and again by Colorado Care. This is a supremely bad idea. What sort of myopic twits come up with this stuff.
Most people don't realize that states simply don't have the money to do their own HC. Medicare alone would kill the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies