Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 05:52 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,098,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
Tighter restrictions to what end? What ill would that cure? Seems like bigger bureaucracy with no benefit.
Well if guns were tracked more by serial number so guns used in crimes could be tracked back to unscrupulous dealers. If there are trends of guns used in crimes being bought at the same places, then something can be done. After all if someone can pass the necessary background checks and waiting periods, then getting a gun from a dealer who plays by the rules shouldn't be a problem. It wouldn't completely fix the problem, but it could be a start.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:52 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Well if guns were tracked more by serial number so guns used in crimes could be tracked back to unscrupulous dealers. If there are trends of guns used in crimes being bought at the same places, then something can be done. After all if someone can pass the necessary background checks and waiting periods, then getting a gun from a dealer who plays by the rules shouldn't be a problem. It wouldn't completely fix the problem, but it could be a start.
Ill. already has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. More laws won't help as mentioned in previous post state.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:08 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,423 times
Im sorry but I have read a lot of Pollyanna responses that reflect a clear misunderstanding of the criminal mind.
Let me clarify where I am coming from before you jump.
Im a retired inner city Cop. 25 years on the beat and retired because I was shot.
My experience with criminals, and I do make a distinction between criminals and small time law breakers.
Criminals want what you have! Let me say that again, Criminals want what YOU have!
your car, your money, your dvd, your PF flyer's, your body and your life and not necessarily in the order listed above.
The vast, vast, vast majority of criminal acts in this country are related in some manner form or fashion to the illegal drug trade.
The vast majority of homicides in the country are what we cops call misdemeanors homicides.
By that I mean that a large percentage of homicides are criminals killing other criminals. Birds of a feather, sleep with the dogs and get fleas, no honor among thieves. You get my point.

Now back to the original OP. Gun control. Pollyanna thinking. Why. Because some people absolutely cant believe that all people don't think just like them and THEY would never hurt anyone so its impossible for them to believe that any one else could hurt any one.

Coupled with a decline in general respect for the law across all levels of society.

Coupled with a thought process that not all law breakers are "bad" people who can be reformed.

Now as to gun control...........Let me face someone that knows karate on an average level and I will win.
Come into my house with intent to do harm and I guarantee that 145 grains of hot lead traveling at 1200FPS will stop the problem.

Wow this is really a rant isnt it???????

Old 02-18-2008, 08:22 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Thanks for the information, your post talks about the realities that most of us never face. One thing I didn't see posted is that (I don't know the percentages) the person breaking into your home very well could be under the influence of drugs at the very time, so what ever force you use to stop them, would stop a sober person but not this guy because he is pumped up on whatever.

I saw a video when I worked at the police department many moons ago where the police shot off like 2/3 of a guys head before he stopped coming at them.

I can't live without the ability to protect myself and my daughter. I would not be living up to the responsibility of being a parent if I just left us here a sitting duck.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,912,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
From what I have learned from the police, peeping and then breaking into a person's home is an entry level crime, these same people often move onto rape and assault. I am not going to take that chance. Come in my house uninvited and there will be very sad consequences for you.
You mean you wouldn't try to understand the roots of their anti-social behavior and get them to speak out, instead of acting out, why they wish to terrorize you?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Im sorry but I have read a lot of Pollyanna responses that reflect a clear misunderstanding of the criminal mind.
Let me clarify where I am coming from before you jump.
Im a retired inner city Cop. 25 years on the beat and retired because I was shot.
My experience with criminals, and I do make a distinction between criminals and small time law breakers.
Criminals want what you have! Let me say that again, Criminals want what YOU have!
your car, your money, your dvd, your PF flyer's, your body and your life and not necessarily in the order listed above.
The vast, vast, vast majority of criminal acts in this country are related in some manner form or fashion to the illegal drug trade.
The vast majority of homicides in the country are what we cops call misdemeanors homicides.
By that I mean that a large percentage of homicides are criminals killing other criminals. Birds of a feather, sleep with the dogs and get fleas, no honor among thieves. You get my point.

Now back to the original OP. Gun control. Pollyanna thinking. Why. Because some people absolutely cant believe that all people don't think just like them and THEY would never hurt anyone so its impossible for them to believe that any one else could hurt any one.

Coupled with a decline in general respect for the law across all levels of society.

Coupled with a thought process that not all law breakers are "bad" people who can be reformed.

Now as to gun control...........Let me face someone that knows karate on an average level and I will win.
Come into my house with intent to do harm and I guarantee that 145 grains of hot lead traveling at 1200FPS will stop the problem.

Wow this is really a rant isnt it???????
Wow. I don't think I want to go through life that paranoid.

Perhaps this is the wrong sort of thinking, but as a person of faith I think if its your time to go, its your time. If its not a gun, it will be a heart attack, car wreck, stroke whatever. Personally letting everyone arm up like Rambo so we can all be vigilantes is not a solution other than making everyone more afraid of everyone else.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:58 PM

413 posts, read 909,436 times
Guns seem to be a primitive fascination.

Of course, as a soldier, I sometimes have to do primitive things, which is why I'm okay saying that I have indeed carried and discharged a number of high-powered firearms, but involvement with guns is not something one should strive to accomplish.

I have a question: why do those who staunchly interpret the second amendment as an individual (vice collective) right almost invariably do so only within the framework of guns? What about knives, bombs, etc.? Should not everyone from the cradle to the grave be allowed to carry those? Furthermore, why is the right to bear arms okay for American citizens, yet not okay for Iran or North Korea?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Wow. I don't think I want to go through life that paranoid.

Perhaps this is the wrong sort of thinking, but as a person of faith I think if its your time to go, its your time. If its not a gun, it will be a heart attack, car wreck, stroke whatever. Personally letting everyone arm up like Rambo so we can all be vigilantes is not a solution other than making everyone more afraid of everyone else.
Who's talking vigilantes here? It's about the right to choose whether or not to put your family's well being in your hands or the hands of those who might not be very respectful of your right to live.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Who's talking vigilantes here? It's about the right to choose whether or not to put your family's well being in your hands or the hands of those who might not be very respectful of your right to live.
To me that sounds like either a large amount of personal paranoia or vigilanteism.

If someone really wanted to kill me, I'm sure they could. I don't have control over everyone and everything and keeping a gun under my pillow is just as likely to save my wifes life or blow a hole in my head. Plus I don't want to go through life paranoid that every one of the 6 billion people in the world that I don't know are out to do me harm. Nor do I want them armed and ready to shoot me if I wave and say hello.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:11 AM

[quote=odinloki1;2871663]To me that sounds like either a large amount of personal paranoia or vigilanteism.

If someone really wanted to kill me, I'm sure they could.

Quote:
I don't have control over everyone
Neither do gun owners

Quote:
and everything and keeping a gun under my pillow is just as likely to save my wifes life or blow a hole in my head.
I don't know anyone who does that. People do have a right to be stupid, though

Quote:
Plus I don't want to go through life paranoid that every one of the 6 billion people in the world that I don't know are out to do me harm.
That's good. Do you know anyone who is that paranoid? I don't

Quote:
Nor do I want them armed and ready to shoot me if I wave and say hello
Fear of being shot for saying hello? That sounds somewhat paranoid to me. Stay away from people with sharp objects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies