Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:11 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
True the discussion grows wearisome. If you show me a responsible gun owner who isn't paranoid or any mental health issues I won't complain. I want people able to handle the responsibility they bear by owning a gun though.

Really rather one tracked and tiresome.
"To john1960 America needs to wake up and realize banning guns would solve nothing. It's not the gun, it's the crimminal. Politicians screem and yell we need more laws because they know there is nothing they can do but, they have to look like their doing something. (opium is banned but you can still find it.So much for the ban.)They know there is no way of forcing someone to obey the law. If you ban guns the law abiding person will give up his or her gun but, the crimminal will not! If only crimminals had guns,what a mess that would be. Keep in mind in states where there is a concealed carry law crime has gone down!! Knowing the person next to you may have a gun is a deterant. Keep in mind those who are licensed to carry have been through background checks and have been trained in the use of a firearm. If you are near a person who you know is legaly carrying a gun you should feel warm and fuzzy all over. It's not him you should fear but the crimminal. Again it's not the gun you should fear but the crimminal with a gun. dlh9202"http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post2893144

sigh.......what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 02-21-2008, 08:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Really????
Really. It was in the concurrent news stories that some had shot and killed family members at home.

You are more likely to be shot by someone you know, than by a stranger.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:47 AM

272 posts, read 784,517 times
Defending you life is a God given right, and you defend yourself by what ever means you can...
Criminals don't obey laws...by definition. The police will NEVER be there in time to save YOUR LIFE....but just in time to take photos of your dead body...
Civilians....average people NEED to possess a credible deterrent to criminals....and the best deterrent is that guaranteed by the Second Amendment....
If you choose to be a defenseless 'sitting duck' that is YOUR choice...
But don't be so willing to "give up" ANY of your RIGHTS....Once you let go of any one of them.....the rest are sure to follow....

Old 02-21-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Mate View Post
Defending you life is a God given right, and you defend yourself by what ever means you can...
Criminals don't obey laws...by definition. The police will NEVER be there in time to save YOUR LIFE....but just in time to take photos of your dead body...
Civilians....average people NEED to possess a credible deterrent to criminals....and the best deterrent is that guaranteed by the Second Amendment....
If you choose to be a defenseless 'sitting duck' that is YOUR choice...
But don't be so willing to "give up" ANY of your RIGHTS....Once you let go of any one of them.....the rest are sure to follow....
Oh, I'm not defenseless, by any means. Last break in that I had, I subdued a guy that outweighed me by 100 pounds.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:03 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Oh, I'm not defenseless, by any means. Last break in that I had, I subdued a guy that outweighed me by 100 pounds.
Nor am I - the last breakin I had, I shot and killed the guy. 'Course, he was also going after my wife and family -

Old 02-21-2008, 10:14 AM

74 posts, read 191,007 times
Quote:

thats good for you, now for people who can't do that, a gun is the best answer, unless you want people carying around sowards or knifes of something.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:29 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
I know I'm mirroring the last poster, but what if your a small woman?

I'm 5'10 and 180 pounds, I'm not a small and I'm not a big guy, but I'm far bigger and stronger than a vast majority of women. Barring women who are rather large and women who have been studying martial arts all their lives, I can physically beat most women into a bloody pulp without much effort. I don't hit women, but I have accidentally hurt a few women who play fought with me, resulting in 30 minutes of me saying "Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!". Now, considering this was not intended and far less aggressive and rough than it would have been joking around with a man, how hard would it be for me to overpower most women? I don't mean this in a threatening way, but it would be extremely easy for me to do so. I have a larger build and more muscle than even extremely fit women. How would they be able to defend themselves against a man who would beat me unconscious if I were to fight him? Absolutely no way. So, the only way for a woman to defend herself is to take physical strength out of equation.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:49 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Criminals will pay no attention to new stricter laws...so I say no as it's not going to solve the problem

Old 02-21-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I know I'm mirroring the last poster, but what if your a small woman?

I'm 5'10 and 180 pounds, I'm not a small and I'm not a big guy, but I'm far bigger and stronger than a vast majority of women. Barring women who are rather large and women who have been studying martial arts all their lives, I can physically beat most women into a bloody pulp without much effort. I don't hit women, but I have accidentally hurt a few women who play fought with me, resulting in 30 minutes of me saying "Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!". Now, considering this was not intended and far less aggressive and rough than it would have been joking around with a man, how hard would it be for me to overpower most women? I don't mean this in a threatening way, but it would be extremely easy for me to do so. I have a larger build and more muscle than even extremely fit women. How would they be able to defend themselves against a man who would beat me unconscious if I were to fight him? Absolutely no way. So, the only way for a woman to defend herself is to take physical strength out of equation.
That's ridiculous. If you know how to do a joint lock properly, it takes very little strength to apply.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
That's ridiculous. If you know how to do a joint lock properly, it takes very little strength to apply.
Well guess what? Not everyone is an expert like you

And besides - if the perp has a gun pointed at you, you might not get the chance to do your fancy stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies