Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:52 PM

28,715 posts, read 18,900,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
“In the name of God, the merciful, the beneficial,” Omar Mateen began in Arabic ... “Praise be to God. And prayers as well as peace be upon the prophet of God. [Now in English] I let you know, I’m in Orlando and I did the shootings.”

In that context, with who he pledged allegiance to, with what he planned to do, I'll go out on a limb and say he used the word "Allah."

I suppose the FBI translator is of the view that translated to English, Allah=God; using the word Allah might provoke anti-Islamic sentiments and confuse everyone.
If we are seeing a translation of Arabic to English, then "God" is the properly translated term, politics not withstanding at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 08:05 PM

3,414 posts, read 3,461,823 times
Maybe he pledged his allegiance to Obama?

Now that would be worth retracting and leaving out of the transcript.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:07 PM

6,268 posts, read 5,090,432 times

Old 06-20-2016, 11:48 PM

788 posts, read 515,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Well, here's a new wrinkle. AG Lynch states that the transcript from the Orlando 911 calls will be edited to delete any references to Islam. Says doesn't want to propagandize the religious aspect of the calls.
We are immersed in an Orwellian state because of the liberal left.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:34 AM

30,735 posts, read 18,397,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If we are seeing a translation of Arabic to English, then "God" is the properly translated term, politics not withstanding at all.
The only problem I have with that is that "Allah" doesn't actually mean "God" in Arabic, though it is the common word used to represent God. Moreover, a proper transcript of the Orlando 911 calls should have represented what was actually said ("Allah" is the English spelling of the commonly understood Arabic word and is even within the English dictionary . . . surely, they could've kept it). But, even if they were going down that "translation" route, they should have kept "Allah" and put in parentheses "God" next to it.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:35 AM

30,735 posts, read 18,397,310 times
Quote:
I frequently hear Muslims say "God" when speaking English, particularly American-born Muslims. So I don't think we know what he said until someone who has heard the audio testifies to it.
I hear American Muslims say God when they are interacting with peoples of other religions. But I've never heard of a Jihadist, whether home grown or not, saying "God" over "Allah."

Old 06-21-2016, 06:26 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,528,903 times
Quote:
I can quibble with you over the changing of Allah to God (who is the prophet of God ?), but the real beef is the non-transcript Lynch and the FBI released. The alleged 'complete transcript' was a few quotes and a few sentence of FBI synopsis of what Mateen said in nearly 30 minutes of phone calls with negotiators.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:47 AM

28,715 posts, read 18,900,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I can quibble with you over the changing of Allah to God (who is the prophet of God ?), but the real beef is the non-transcript Lynch and the FBI released. The alleged 'complete transcript' was a few quotes and a few sentence of FBI synopsis of what Mateen said in nearly 30 minutes of phone calls with negotiators.
And I have no quibble with you on that.

But ultimately, the transcript is not the property of the FBI, nor is it classified or FOUO. Ultimately, it is the legal property of the state of Florida.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:15 AM

24,663 posts, read 17,395,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

I had a conversation with someone who wanted to discuss politics the other day. She described herself as a "Progressive Left" which was a new phrase to me. Anyway, she knows nothing about what's going on in Germany or the U.K. or Sweden and when I asked her which news she watched or read she said, "I don't keep up with the news at all. It's too depressing."

There you have it, folks. Ignorance truly is bliss.

I once had a similar conversation with a die hard Democrat. She was spouting off this and that from sound bites she had heard or read on social media and when I confronted her with some truthful facts that debunked her snippets of half truths she actually said "I don't care about the facts".

There you go folks, ignorance is bliss.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:28 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,122,578 times
America will continue to sleep thru the liberal efforts to brainwash. I have to give them credit- they know how to manipulate ignorant and apathetic masses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies