Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 07:43 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You folks sound like the actual owners of these greedy corporations. Defend the need to maximize profits, the need to keep shareholders happy, to try and optimize earnings and excuse even the most sleazy business practices often acting as an extension of official corporation spokespeople. A great PR done for free by folks that are stuck in the past.

Bring back the sweatshops, the 80 hour week, and eliminate the weekends.
I won't work in a sweat shop either. That was simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 07:54 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Of course you support it. It doesn't cost you a dime and you can continue to be a mediocre employee. All the benefit and none of the hard work.
Oh grow up. How can you even POSSIBLY equate vacation time means you're a mediocre employee? God you people will argue ANYTHING. It's ridiculous. Get off the soap box. It's a joke that the cons on this thread are even attempting to try to convince everyone that they don't deserve vacation & would be happy without. Pathetic.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:58 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh grow up. How can you even POSSIBLY equate vacation time means you're a mediocre employee? God you people will argue ANYTHING. It's ridiculous. Get off the soap box. It's a joke that the cons on this thread are even attempting to try to convince everyone that they don't deserve vacation & would be happy without. Pathetic.
I'm fine with people being able to negotiate as much vacation time as they'd like.

I'm not fine with the government lowering wages by forcing vacation time on people.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:02 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It's a joke that the cons on this thread are even attempting to try to convince everyone that they don't deserve vacation & would be happy without. Pathetic.
I never said they shouldn't have a vacation. If I were an employer, I would provide for paid vacation and insist that employees take it. I believe workers need vacation time to maintain a healthy balance in their lives.

That being said, government should never mandate vacation or other time off. Good employers will provide those benefits as they compete for the best employees. I never had trouble negotiating with a new employer for more than two weeks vacation.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:13 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
I worked for a company that allowed you to sell back vacation days to the company. I sold back quite a few vacation days.

When they changed the policy to use it or lose it, most employees were pissed off.

Since I was receiving two vacation days (Saturday and Sunday) every week, I liked being able to sell back days. Since I had over 100 vacation days each year, a few less didn't really matter.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:14 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
And yet we poll last when compared to other developed countries. Americans work longer hours and have almost no vacation time when compared to others.

And there are people on this thread that are proud of the fact that they work 60 hours a week with no vacation to advance the interest of the employer. In the meantime the employer has little interest in the quality of life of the employee.

The BLS website also has statistics on hours worked per week and 60 is an outlier.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:18 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
My boss is such a jerk. I get no OT, no paid vacation, and no paid sick leave.

Granted I employ myself.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:30 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I worked for a company that allowed you to sell back vacation days to the company. I sold back quite a few vacation days.

When they changed the policy to use it or lose it, most employees were pissed off.

Since I was receiving two vacation days (Saturday and Sunday) every week, I liked being able to sell back days. Since I had over 100 vacation days each year, a few less didn't really matter.
Corporate America has trained the American worker quite well. And you are as bold as to consider the weekend a gift! You would have done well during feudalism or in slavery. You could easily work in a sweat shop 16 hours a day seven days a week and never consider a change to better working conditions.

You are also the poster child for Americans that live to work and you are stuck in the past. As I said the work week will continue to shrink, it is inevitable.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:32 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I never said they shouldn't have a vacation. If I were an employer, I would provide for paid vacation and insist that employees take it. I believe workers need vacation time to maintain a healthy balance in their lives.

That being said, government should never mandate vacation or other time off. Good employers will provide those benefits as they compete for the best employees. I never had trouble negotiating with a new employer for more than two weeks vacation.
Uh huh. Lol, man you people are a piece of work. Negotiating for vacation. Sure.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:33 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Corporate America has trained the American worker quite well. And you are as bold as to consider the weekend a gift! You would have done well during feudalism or in slavery. You could easily work in a sweat shop 16 hours a day seven days a week and never consider a change to better working conditions.

You are also the poster child for Americans that live to work and you are stuck in the past. As I said the work week will continue to shrink, it is inevitable.
The fascist government has trained you quite well. Their control of public education is paying off. You are the poster child for Americans who ignore history. A gulag is waiting. They will throw people like me in first. You can relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies