Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 08:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You must hate your vacation days.
I'm self-employed, so when I take a day off, I don't get paid.

At my last regular job, I negotiated three weeks of vacation as part of my compensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 08:37 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Wrong, slaves were FORCED to work. THEY WERE OWNED and TREATED LIKE PROPERTY! No one is FORCED to work for anyone else in America. You have the right and ability to work for yourself in America.
If you do not work for someone else you starve. You may not call it slavery, but is is not a nice situation.
Even the small business owners work for someone: THE CLIENT! And they work twice as hard to put food on the table.

The only people that are not slaves are the Donald Trumps of the world. DId you get that?

Old 06-21-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

At my last regular job, I negotiated three weeks of vacation as part of my compensation.
I have 8 weeks off and I did not have to negotiate.
I am sad to hear you do not get paid when you are not working.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
If you do not work for someone else you starve. You may not call it slavery, but is is not a nice situation.
Even the small business owners work for someone: THE CLIENT! And they work twice as hard to put food on the table.

The only people that are not slaves are the Donald Trumps of the world. DId you get that?
Since I have to clean my own pool, does that make me a slave?

Old 06-21-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I have 8 weeks off and I did not have to negotiate.
I am sad to hear you do not get paid when you are not working.
So, people should be paid 24/7?

Old 06-21-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post

I have never heard of the GERMAN DREAM or the DUTCH DREAM, but there have been millions of people that come to America seeking THE AMERICAN DREAM.
You need to travel my friend. Did you know most Americans do not have a passport?

See the graph: The US is dead last if vacation for employees.

Germans only work 27.8 hours a week:

Quote:
According to statistics compiled by the OECD (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development), Germans work just 27.8 hours per week, one of the lowest standards among countries studied in the OECD. Although you might think fewer hours worked should mean a lower standard of living, Germany defies the odds. Not only do Germans maintain a high standard of living, but Germany also maintains one of the strongest economies in Europe. Thus, those extra hours each week translate directly into providing a healthier work/life balance.
The Dutch work 27.6 hours a week:

Quote:
No employees are on the job less per year than those in the Netherlands, according to the OECD. Workers clock only 1,378 hours per year, or 27.6 hours per week. Like Germany, however, the Netherlands maintains a healthy GDP and high standard of living in spite of fewer hours on the job. On top of that, they are given 28 paid vacation days per year, and 16 weeks of paid maternity leave at 100 percent of their salaries, according to Eurofound. As if that weren't enough, Dutch workers are also offered tax breaks on an additional 26 weeks of unpaid maternity leave if required.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
So, people should be paid 24/7?
Yes, and there is more.

In the future no one will have to work.
All the work will be automated.
This is the problem of conservatives; they are stuck in the 17th century.

Did you know that Germans work less than 30 hours a week while folks like you still slave away 10-11 hours a day?

Old 06-21-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
If you have to work to eat and put a roof over your head you are a slave. Working the pool does not count.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
see image above.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:56 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:

Only three weeks is laughed at in the rest of the developed world. People actually value family and friends in the rest of the world, but in America people are forced to slave around and lots of working class people vehemently defend a huge disparity of power and leverage between workers and the moneyed elites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies