Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 05:40 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have to agree with this. Vacation time is something you negotiate as part of your salary package. Make yourself valuable and you can negotiate the amount of vacation time you want. If you're not valuable, that's on you to fix.
So if you are born with genes that make is less valued (whether its IQ, work rate, lack of risk taking etc etc) which you had nothing to do with, you should suffer?

Are Americans less valuable then since Americans have much less vacation time than the average of other countries? Or is it rather the case that the donor class have enormous power over the political process in America and they hate the idea of worker's rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 05:41 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have to agree with this. Vacation time is something you negotiate as part of your salary package. Make yourself valuable and you can negotiate the amount of vacation time you want. If you're not valuable, that's on you to fix.
Some folks do not like to be seen as lazy by asking for time off. In corporate America you are trained to look like a team player at all times.

Are you part of corporate america? Is that why you are opposed to generous vacation?

Old 06-20-2016, 05:43 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
How about paid vacation for stay at home moms?
The German government pays German women to have kids. In Finland they are coming up with a salary for everybody whether they work or not.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:43 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So if you are born with genes that make is less valued (whether its IQ, work rate, lack of risk taking etc etc) which you had nothing to do with, you should suffer?

Are Americans less valuable then since Americans have much less vacation time than the average of other countries? Or is it rather the case that the donor class have enormous power over the political process in America and they hate the idea of worker's rights?
IQ is not a prerequisite for hard work. The majority of employers value hard work in a number of positions.

If you want more vacation time, just negotiate more vacation for less pay.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:46 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeazabird View Post
Every life has value. In addition, not every person has a salaried position. The idea that individuals should not have a few weeks off is ridiculous. When people have time off they become more productive because they are not burnt out and because they become more efficient with the time allotted for working. A Harvard study proves this https://hbr.org/2015/06/are-we-more-...-more-time-off

Overworking has serious effects on our society. It leaves less time for nurturing marriages and making sure children are raised properly. These problems spill over and then we all pay the price.

Every job has a price. While life has value, some jobs don't. I'm a teacher. My job has no value to my employer. My pay has been frozen since I started teaching 8 years ago and will continue to be frozen except for increases in cost of benefits every couple of years. I'm too easily replaced which is why I'm spending my summer "vacation" driving around the state to paid seminars on teaching methods instead of with my family and starting a second job I'll be working year round in August. Some jobs just are not valued. Mine is not. I can't change that. All I can do is work two jobs until I find something else. Just being able to pay my bills working one job with no time off sounds great to me. At least then I'd have evenings and weekends with my family.

It is what it is. Your job is either valued or it is not. If it is you have negotiating power. If it's not, you're on your own. If you're in industry you have the option of moving up. I can't move up so I need to move out. I keep hoping this will be the year I leave the classroom for good.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-20-2016 at 05:55 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
IN Europe folks get 6 weeks minimum.

Maybe you are corporate America? Is that why you support the no vacation rule?
And I can guarantee you that is factored into pay rates.

Once again, if you want more time off, negotiate more vacation and less pay.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:49 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
IN Europe folks get 6 weeks minimum.

Maybe you are corporate America? Is that why you support the no vacation rule?
People here are well-trained by corporate America to expect no more than voluntarily thrown crumbs from their employers. A world where it is expected that companies treat their employees like humans (without having to risk their jobs altogether by begging for it) is just too overwhelming for them to bear.

Allegory of the Cave syndrome, in other words.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:51 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And I can guarantee you that is factored into pay rates.

Once again, if you want more time off, negotiate more vacation and less pay.
you shouldn't guarantee things like this, you're wrong. Europeans are known for getting extended vacations as is Japan. even China shuts down for a month at a time for their New Year's celebrations.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:52 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
IQ is not a prerequisite for hard work. The majority of employers value hard work in a number of positions.

If you want more vacation time, just negotiate more vacation for less pay.
IQ is important in high paying professions. Work rate has shown to have a very strong genetic component. Same with risk taking. You have no control over this at all. Why do you want so many people to suffer I have no idea.

Do you think Americans are less valuable than workers of other countries since in the last poll half of all Americans who worked had taken no vacation in the past 12 months. This is the unequal balance of power people face in the labor market. Corporations are a well equipped platoon with all sorts of sanctions and weapons at its disposal while a worker is a lone ranger. The platoon will win 99% of the time in such match-ups. The donor class knows this, and that is why they fund politicians to keep this in place.

Latest poll I saw, only 13% of Americans supported the current system of employers not being required to offer vacation time. But we dont live in a functioning democracy. Public policy is by and large set by the donor class and corporate America, not the people.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
People here are well-trained by corporate America to expect no more than voluntarily thrown crumbs from their employers. A world where it is expected that companies treat their employees like humans is just too overwhelming to imagine, probably.

Allegory of the Cave syndrome, in other words.
People are free to start their own company if they so choose.

If you do, be prepared to work a lot more than 40 hours per week and know that you don't get paid vacation.

Most people moaning about how they deserve more will never go in business for themselves, because who would they complain about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies