Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 01:04 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,789,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Even people with criminal records and mental illnesses????
Read my lips...eeeevvveerrryyybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 03:45 PM

93 posts, read 139,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
You must be watching the sit in'. Did you know that both left and right had proposals that the other side did not vote on/for?
Not following the sit-in much, but all I see in my facebook feed is backlash to "Obama taking everyone's guns". I'm not anti-gun but it just seems like every republican post about gun control is to attack any idea from the left that might make it harder to obtain a gun, vs addressing the issue. .

BTW: I'd be happy to trade gun-free zones for some more restrictive background checks, as a start.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:47 PM

1,166 posts, read 757,136 times
Conservatives only have two solutions to every problem.

More guns

Lower taxes

Old 06-23-2016, 03:50 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,848,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarArt1980 View Post
Not following the sit-in much, but all I see in my facebook feed is backlash to "Obama taking everyone's guns". I'm not anti-gun but it just seems like every republican post about gun control is to attack any idea from the left that might make it harder to obtain a gun, vs addressing the issue. .

BTW: I'd be happy to trade gun-free zones for some more restrictive background checks, as a start.
What do you mean "more restrictive background checks"?

Do you know what is currently required when you purchase a firearm? Some things do vary from state to state, but with regard to federal requirements, are you familiar with the current law? If so, what would more restrictive background checks entail and how do you think such restrictive background checks would eliminate events like the terrorist attack in Orlando or the massacre at Sandy Hook?

Old 06-23-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
What do you mean "more restrictive background checks"?

Do you know what is currently required when you purchase a firearm? Some things do vary from state to state, but with regard to federal requirements, are you familiar with the current law? If so, what would more restrictive background checks entail and how do you think such restrictive background checks would eliminate events like the terrorist attack in Orlando or the massacre at Sandy Hook?

At a minimum, we should eliminate the gunshow/private sale loophole. In some states you can buy an unlimited number of guns and never go through any background check.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:02 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,479,159 times
I think the larger question is whether mass shootings are something that can or should best be stopped by government legislation.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:04 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,919,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
At a minimum, we should eliminate the gunshow/private sale loophole. In some states you can buy an unlimited number of guns and never go through any background check.
There is no gunshow loophole. If you buy from a person with a federal firearms license then you have to go through the process. Sometimes that is just filling out the 4473 and showing a concealed carry license. Other times it is having a NICS check. Either way it is the same as if you were in the seller's store.

A private sale is a private sale no matter the location of where the two people meet up. There are laws in place as well. I can't sell a gun to someone I know can't pass a background check and they must be a resident of my state.

That said, there are some new BATFE guidelines that limit the number of guns a non-FFL can sell. They have not put a number on it nor a time limit. Maybe it is 10 at once or 10 over a years time. But like any .gov agency they will make up the rules as they go along.

So these sellers may get a federal charge so what's their other option? Get an FFL? They are rolling back the rules on that to the 1990s. The smaller "kitchen table FFLs" can't get a new license. They have the same requirements as a seller with a store but they conduct business from their home. Or like my guy, from his garage after his 9to5 job is over.

Basically the BATFE is putting the fear of getting a federal charge on sellers and not giving them any alternative means to sell.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
A private sale is a private sale no matter the location of where the two people meet up. There are laws in place as well. I can't sell a gun to someone I know can't pass a background check and they must be a resident of my state.

You are being intentionally deceptive. A private seller does not have to perform a background check nor review any documents proving residency to sell a gun legally. If a person says they are a resident of your state and you don't know anything else about them, you can sell as many guns to that person as you want with no paperwork or recordkeeping requirements at all.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:14 PM

17,834 posts, read 13,750,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
I think the larger question is whether mass shootings are something that can or should best be stopped by government legislation.
If it "can" then by all means it "should best be".

It is beyond despicable to think otherwise.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:14 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,691,747 times
What is the CONSERVATIVE solution to stopping mass shootings

Commonsense. The liberals are always unable to consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies